Help Adding Homelink to 2014 1500 slt bighorn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vipeecee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have the rear slider, compass, mic n dome lights in my overhead but no Homelink . I have looked and looked with no clear answer. Can anyone advise please ?

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have the rear slider, compass, mic n dome lights in my overhead but no Homelink . I have looked and looked with no clear answer. Can anyone advise please ?
You essentially just buy an overhead console with the homelink cutout and module already in place, then swap over your buttons. The Homelink repalces the your current compass module. When you say mic, do you mean the microphones in your mirror?

OP
OP
V

Vipeecee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have bt and compass direction on the dash display and I guess with the other posts I read I assumed those were part of the overhead console. I’m just missing the Homelink buttons and do not know what they wire in to .

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I have bt and compass direction on the dash display and I guess with the other posts I read I assumed those were part of the overhead console. I’m just missing the Homelink buttons and do not know what they wire in to .
The homelink module replaces your current compass module and uses the same plug. It's essentially a compass module with buttons for homelink added to it. It's a plug and play swap.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

shopping

easy to find, new & used

SitKneelBend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Thank you very much
To be clear, you will want to buy a replacement overhead console with the homelink module already installed and not just the homelink module itself as your current overhead will not have the cutouts for the homelink buttons. Something like this...

Be careful to avoid ones that have the sunroof switch if you don't have a sunroof. It's not the worst thing, but you'll either have dead sunroof buttons or a hole where they should be...

Bill_Clinton69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l HEMI
The overhead console is not the only way to get HomeLink. I got a Gentex HomeLink mirror and wired it up to the mirror harness (you should have one if you have microphones off your mirror or if you have an auto-dimming mirror.) I personally went the hard route and got a BMW mirror (GNTX-1005) to mount. It would be easier to pick up a $30 trilobe (twist style) to wedge and pick up a HomeLink mirror from a 2011 or newer Nissan, Hyundai/KIA, or Toyota. https://www.amazon.com/Brandmotion-5000-TFAB-Twist-Off-Adapter-Bracket/dp/B00MYEQ6KS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1DVHWTUAWSNCT&keywords=rearview+mirror+adapter&qid=1680836180&sprefix=rearview+mirror+adapte,aps,149&sr=8-4&th=1

If you go this route, I'd advise going to a junkyard where you pay around $2 to get in and bring your tools. You can get a mirror for most likely no more than $20 at those style junkyards. Ensure you pull a mirror off a 2011 or newer car and/or ensure the mirror supports HL4 (HomeLink4). HomeLink4 supports Security+ 2.0, which is a protocol required by newer garage door openers. As for wiring, the color depends on the manufacturer. Typically, HomeLink mirrors have up to three wires. A ground, +12v ignition, and +12v constant. The +12v constant should be optional to wire, unless you want HomeLink to function when the keys are not in your ignition. If you are feeling a little risky, you could test the wires by using a 9v battery and seeing which combination powers on the mirror.