Help and info about motor swap from 5.7 to 5.9 turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StunnaJB

Reaction score
3076 wittenmyer court marina California 93933
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 06 mega cab that is the 4x4 2500 everything besides the motor which is the 5.7 hemi v8 which is way to small for such a beast of a truck to why it was ever made is a question I've been asking over and over its pointless and worthless. Mind you not saying that 5.7 hemi is not a good motor because it's a great one just not in something so heavy and big which should never been installed in and only come with diesel in my opinion. I'm wanting to get a built turbo diesel either the 5.9 or not sure but whatever other then this v8. My question is how hard is it going to be to replace the v8 to a diesel when the truck is pretty much setup just like the 2500 diesel version just is labeled 1500 and has the 5.7 v8 so I know I'll need the computer I think because it's mapped different for the diesel then a v8 or can it just be reprogrammed rsther the replacing the entire system, and what else is going to be needed and one other thing I qas wanting to do was possibly swapping out the automatic trans for a manual 6 speed or if I can find a manual 8 speed which is even better just not sure that was ever made or if available can anyone help me with some info please and I'm open to all suggestions please and thanknyou

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
1. Putting your full address up for all the world to see (complete with a shot of your truck lol) probably isn't the best idea....

Screenshot 2024-07-09 at 11-07-42 3089 Wittenmyer Ct - Google Maps.png

2. Seeing as you're in Commiefornia, I HIGHLY doubt you'd get such a swap past CARB.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Anything is possible. But not everything is sensible. Back in the 70's I helped a friend put a SB 327 in a Chevy Luv. Ran like a bat outta here. Did it make sense? Only if you were into drag racing. I know a guy that put a Cat diesel in a Ford 3/4T. The weight of the engine took up most of his payload. I put a Datsun 1600 Roadster motor in a 63 Datsun PU which is one step above a clown car. Ran great, sure wasn't practical. Couldn't use it for hauling anything. I would never consider putting a diesel in a gas designed vehicle. Way too many things involved. Fuel pumps, filters, etc. But you do you. Keep us informed. This could be entertaining, Smokey

dmullenex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
better off buying a different truck, way to many you'd have to change including beefing up the frame, you'd save A LOT of money buying a diesel running or broke down then turning a 1500 into a 2500, waste of time and money. they're not meant to hold all of the weight. my old duramax motor weighed nearly 1000 lbs alone lol...

BenchTest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What in the run-on sentence happened here? That was a hard read. Like others have posted, you'd be putting good money after bad trying to convert a gas to diesel for MANY reasons.