Help before I purchase.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moe S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Getting ready to purchase a Big Horn, but of course no mud flaps or liner of any kind.
Are mud flaps easy to install myself? Is it cheaper to get everything after market?
What should I try to get them to add before buying the truck?

The truck does include the plastic liner above the wheels.
Any advice is appreciated.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Try to get them to add Line X to the bed as part of the sale if it doesn’t have it now. Mopar’s spray in liner is thinner and cheaper. Mine actually is worn off on the tailgate and the tailgate is rusting where it’s gone or almost gone.

I’d answer your question about the mud flaps but I’m only a fan of them on duallies. But that’s purely my taste and opinion.

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
If you want the liner have the dealer do it, if possible. For mudflaps, I would suggest Husky brand but weathertech are an alternative. Be sure to add the plastic film on the contact areas on the body.

Why do you want them - You will be amazed at how much crap collects on the side of the truck without them.

Why not Mopar mudflaps - Poor design, they fill with dirt/water and can cause no end of problems. They also do not come with protective film and will wear on the body panels. I know this because I installed them originally and after a couple weeks they were full of mud. I pulled them off and also found some scuffing of the paint under them. Luckily it was easily polished out but I would avoid them at all costs. Love their look but you live in a Northern state. Run Away! I replaced them with Huskies, so far - so good.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
If you want the liner have the dealer do it, if possible. For mudflaps, I would suggest Husky brand but weathertech are an alternative. Be sure to add the plastic film on the contact areas on the body.

Why do you want them - You will be amazed at how much crap collects on the side of the truck without them.

Why not Mopar mudflaps - Poor design, they fill with dirt/water and can cause no end of problems. They also do not come with protective film and will wear on the body panels. I know this because I installed them originally and after a couple weeks they were full of mud. I pulled them off and also found some scuffing of the paint under them. Luckily it was easily polished out but I would avoid them at all costs. Love their look but you live in a Northern state. Run Away! I replaced them with Huskies, so far - so good.

I had the Ram molded front mud flaps installed by the dealer on my 2016 Big Horn 1500. After a year or two I noticed that the flap wore through the paint and down to the metal. I talked to my dealer about the flaps causing damage, which is the exact opposite of their purpose. The dealer couldn't approve paint repair so they suggested I call Chrysler and open a case and they would stand behind me. I opened a case and initially FCA said no repair. I kindly explained to them that THEIR dealer installed THEIR product which damaged my $48,000 truck, which is what the flaps are supposed to prevent.

After about 6 months of back and forth, FCA approved paint repair. I expected a can of touch up paint. Nope. It spent a week in the body shop and the front fenders and front doors were repainted. Now I see why they didn't want to foot the bill, but they took care of me!

I have heavy duty rubber mudflaps with the dealer logo on the back and will likely get some rubber flaps for the front also.

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Getting ready to purchase a Big Horn, but of course no mud flaps or liner of any kind.
Are mud flaps easy to install myself? Is it cheaper to get everything after market?

I had a Bullet bed liner added to my last truck and it is significantly thicker than the OEM liner on my current truck; I'dd add one after if you have the money for it. You can get no- drill mudflaps that are easy to install, I'm not a fan of the Ram molded mudflaps as you can see in my previous response. If you add flaps that touch the paint, add a clear 3M tape to prevent abrasions.
For me, adding mods to my truck is half the fun, my wife says it's an illness ;)

02Steve15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got mud flaps from duraflap and they were already predrilled so it was a very easy install and took less like 5 minutes.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Get the truck. Mud flap are an easy install. I purchased the Mopar mud flaps and had them installed in no time. I like them because they are rubber NOT molded plastic and do not touch the paint.

Red

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get the truck. Mud flap are an easy install. I purchased the Mopar mud flaps and had them installed in no time. I like them because they are rubber NOT molded plastic and do not touch the paint.

Red
Are those the Ram logo flaps? I was considering getting those because my tires throw stones like politicians.

Slayer1962

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I bought weathertech everything. I probably would buy Rhino linning if I hauled a lot of stuff. I do not use it as a Truck really just hunting and fishing stuff in the back. Weather tech liner was like $220

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
This surprises me. Most dealerships in my area include rear mud flaps with the dealer badge riveted to them for advertisement. Removing the badges is always my first "mod."
Are mud flaps easy to install myself?
Depends on the brand. There are many brands which offer no-drill installation. As long as you buy one of those brands, installation is simple. Stay away from universal fit mud flaps if you want simple. They're usually cheaper, but more work to install. And they usually don't look as good.
Is it cheaper to get everything after market?
Depends. If you add things like steps and bed liners while ordering a truck, it can be cheaper. But if you're adding them after purchase it's almost always cheaper to go aftermarket.
Whatever you can.

It's good the truck has the rear wheelhouse liners. I still don't understand why those are not standard. Bean counters suck (no offense to any bean counters out there, but you know it's true).

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Husky mud flaps. Awesome quality.. look great... easy install.
Line X spray in bed liner is on the books... just waiting for stuff to settle down.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Are those the Ram logo flaps? I was considering getting those because my tires throw stones like politicians.

Mine say RAM across the bottom. You leave the plastic mudguard that comes with the truck in place and these go over that. I like these.

Red