Help Buying a 2nd Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
So I am going to look at a 2nd Gen Ram 1500. Its got the 5.9l and an Auto tranny. It's got 166k miles. My biggest concern is definitely the auto transmission. I don't want it to blow on me. Any advice on how to test it while test driving it? If I do end up buying the truck, any advice on how to prolong the trans? Also, I know most places to check for rust but are there any hidden spots? I will check every last inch of the truck for rust. Main thing I need help on is the trans tho. Any info is appreciated

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pull the dipstick and look at the fluid ,it should be red in color and not smell burnt. If you go on a test drive count the gear shifts as you accelerate,to make sure it goes into each gear. I’m certain there’s prolly more to look for but this oughta give you a start.

OP
OP
Braeden Clark

Braeden Clark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l
Pull the dipstick and look at the fluid ,it should be red in color and not smell burnt. If you go on a test drive count the gear shifts as you accelerate,to make sure it goes into each gear. I’m certain there’s prolly more to look for but this oughta give you a start.
Ok update on this thread. That truck was a no go for multiple reasons. I am now looking at another one in a few weeks. The guy says it has a misfire at idle and runs rough until 2500 rpm. Thoughts? My first thought is it may need a tune up but maybe also injectors?

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Check distributor cap and rotor, I start with a fresh complete tune up right away on any vehicle I buy. Could be injector or even computer, but doubtful. Could also be something like a burnt valve, bent pushrod but again doubtful

dick strough

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Laramie 360, 410 gear, 01 had 150k when got from my Brother. He just went to work in it. I hauled wood up steep hills. Trans and rear end went about same time . Then wouldn't always start, bad dist. Rust was on door bottoms, rockers, fender wells. Door and rocker skins worked nice. Cut rust out of fenders, rust proofed, then installed 5" fender flares. New dash overlay, as they all crack. Come to find out when new a special additive is recommended for trans and rear end. I could do all this and not have to much in it because my Brother gave the truck to me as the dealer was going to allow him 1k. trade on his new 2500 4 door Hemi. So with tires, paint, Monsterlined everything chrome, bed, and on the sides from bumper to bumper from bottom up 6". Like a new truck and cost was about 9k. instead of 50k. Course Brothers maroon Hemi is nice but I like my OD paint just fine:)