HELP!!! Can the P0344 code be tied to MDS issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Andersonracing87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here is the story… I live in the northeast driving a 2014 2500 with 6.4l (105,000 miles) and about a week and a half ago got a CEL and Traction light and my 6.4 started to do some new tricks. It would run ok at steady throttle at roughly 2000 rpm but anything below it would surge and anything above it would fall on its face. I pulled over and checked the code and found P0344. I was able to clear it and re-fired the motor and it ran fine. I picked up a new cam sensor and replaced it the next day. Fast forward a day or two and I get the same issue and symptoms. Again, reset and move on with no trouble. Replaced the connector for the cam sensor in hopes that a bad wire or connection may have been my culprit. No luck. The problem resurfaced. The other item I have noticed in the mean time is that when the MDS kicks in, I can here a noise that sounds like an electrical coil cycling rapidly. After the last time the code came up, I shut off the MDS and have only driven with it off and have not had the code come up again. Any thoughts on why or how these two could be tied together or is it coincidence? Thanks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stock 5.7 with 6.4l cam and MDS delete
actually sounds coincidental. usually when mds has issues it sets a misfire code. again anybody please clarify here. usually the misfire codes are in the 300 series like 301 being cyl 1 and 305 being cyl 5 etc. it leads me to think of the VVT solenoid though. good luck figuring it out and let us know what you find

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Also, these trucks can be picky with sensors. Was the replacement one an OE? Wish you the best on getting it sorted.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like your VVT controller might be stuck. Timing is good in 1 particular RPM range, and unable to adjust.
I'm not super familiar with these motors, but it might be worth a try

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963