Help. Dealership can't figure this out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rafamoore21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2014 Ram 1500 cluster and center console goes black while driving. Engine does not shut off while this is happening. I'm also able to remove key and Truck will keep running. Dealership replaced alternator, Radio and WIN module. Sometimes Truck won't start at all. Also I get a message that says " Service electric brake trailer" while the issue is happening. It gave out two codes.

Attachments

• IMG_20230114_111129815_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230114_111129815_HDR.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20230114_111138246_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230114_111138246_HDR.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 12

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
It seems like a voltage issue and modules are dropping off-line. What is the condition of your battery? I'd have it load tested and if its 4 or even 3 yrs old I'd just replace it. That's where I'd atleast start. Also check terminal connections and grounds.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Those center information centers (at least on mine and other owners') see to get real buggy when battery power gets low. They can display all kinds of errant odd information. I drove my truck around a whole morning running errands, then suddenly the center cluster started displaying odd info. Shortly after it wouldn't start. The battery suddenly died. But it showed voltage. But failed a load test spectacularly.

So ...even if your battery runs the truck, I'd look at doing a good load test. If that comes back fine, the grounds ought to be checked. Grounds are where the current returns to the battery. New vehicles with greater use of electrical systems seem to have grounds EVERYWHERE. Ensure battery cable pos+ and grounds (to the engine and to the body) are solid-good.

There's a major ground above and slightly ahead of the L front tire. One back by the fuel tank filler neck. And lots of others peppered around. But I'd check that one up by the Driver's side tire for sure since it's near the TIPM. And of course TIPM connectors have been known to corrode too if, worst case, you still don't find anything. Might not hurt to remove the cluster and reseat it's connector as well.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The circuit is staying open, I can see why they replaced win, but if the circuit is staying open after the win replacement, assuming the win is good, my guess is TIPM. I think it rare they would not replace battery with alt, kinda of a 2 part job unless the bat was new, but whatever, the circuit is open. I do believe the win on a 2014 also communicates with the doohokie behind the drivers seat. The name of that has escaped me at the moment, someone polish me off? Another suspect here possibly. Find the relays to all suspects and replace those, and while this is happeneing unplug each relay to each item, see what kills the engine you will find it.