Help decide between two Rams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It must be my area, but the cheapest new crew cab right now within 100 miles of me is a tradesman that was 47k and has been discounted to 37k.

If I could get that one in Idaho for 29k I’d be all over it...
If I was in Idaho I'd get this 1 owner 2016 Outdoorsman for $18.9K with 96K miles
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Dodge-RAM-1500-Idaho-Falls-d665_L6988#listing=271866904

I actually like the Outdoorsman more than any other trims because they're more loaded than a BigHorn and have a raised front end by about 1.5" or so, but have the smaller 17" wheels like the SLT (more sidewall, cheaper tires). This one has heated seats/wheel, remote start, towing mirrors/trailer brake and Sunroof as well as comfy cloth captain chairs (not a fan of leather) and standard 3.92 LSD. It's such a rare combination I'm inevitably drawn to.

Sent from OnePlus 7 PRO using Tapatalk
7304a276280b135957400d85902c5ce1.jpg

Last edited:

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are going to spend that kind of money $21 to $27k and plan on keeping it I would look for a Big Horn optioned with most of what you want. I would also want a factory warranty for that amount of coin as a piece of mind.

I did a CarGurus search for a 150 mile radius of Nashville, (not sure where your located) and found 88 Rams with less than 35,500 miles between $23 and $27k, 2018 and 2019 models.

You could easily extend the warranty out 7 years from when it was sold new thru Chrysler Warranty Direct with their max care warranty for less than you think. You don't need to do it right away, just do it before the factory 36k mile warranty expires.

I extended my 17' 2500 out to 84 months max care for less than $1600. I bought a low mileage truck a couple of years ago and extended it out this Spring with a $100 deductible. The odometer read 23k. I drive about 7500 miles a year and plan on keeping it for a long time!

Good luck in your search. Lot of good info on this forum!

Marathon84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd keep looking. Maybe give up on the Rambox, it's not a common option. Keep looking for that low miles, crew cab Laramie without an accident. They are out there but you have to search all the usual places, ebay, cragislist, carfax, autotrader, etc. Follow those sites daily for a few weeks and your truck will magically appear one day, within budget :)

heefageLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
05, 14, 17, 20, 23
Hello all,

I’m about to become a first time Ram owner, but I’m having trouble deciding between two truck. One is a 2017 v8 with 69k miles for 27k. The other is a 2016 v8 with 124k miles for 21k.

Both trucks have all the features I need, but the 2016 is a Laramie and the 2017 is a big horn. The Laramie looks nicer, has leather, and is much cheaper, but I am slightly concerned about the mileage. I am planning on keeping this truck for 10 years and giving it to my son. I drive about 9k miles a year.

I bought my '17 Laramie 4x4 Crew Cab with 24k miles for $30k... Both of those prices seem a bit steep.

EDIT: And I bought my truck 2 years ago...

Steve King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all,

I’m about to become a first time Ram owner, but I’m having trouble deciding between two truck. One is a 2017 v8 with 69k miles for 27k. The other is a 2016 v8 with 124k miles for 21k.

Both trucks have all the features I need, but the 2016 is a Laramie and the 2017 is a big horn. The Laramie looks nicer, has leather, and is much cheaper, but I am slightly concerned about the mileage. I am planning on keeping this truck for 10 years and giving it to my son. I drive about 9k miles a year.
I bought a brand new 2018 Ram 1500 Express with 20 inch wheels for 26,000 last month. Was listed at 45k

12F25E8A-2F79-4350-B0A0-01E6FD50AA3B.jpeg

Steve King

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It must be my area, but the cheapest new crew cab right now within 100 miles of me is a tradesman that was 47k and has been discounted to 37k.

If I could get that one in Idaho for 29k I’d be all over it...
Just because that what they discounted it for doesn’t mean they won’t go lower. The truck I bought was listed at 45k on sale for 31k and talked them down to 26k. I would go into a few dealerships and if they don’t go down go to the next dealership. One of them will take the sale.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
The whole used car supply chain is a mess right now. Large fleet companies are wholesaling vehicles to reduce their fleet, companies have gone out of business so their fleets have to go somewhere and wholesale used inventory was already a bit on the high side before the pandemic. Now used car dealers aren't buying form the wholesalers because their target customers have lost their jobs, sales floors are closed, etc. Wholesale prices are down about 11% according to Mannheim Auctions one of the largest used auto wholesalers. They are sitting on a ton of inventory. Even new car inventory at the wholesale level is a mess. The similar new car pipeline of sales is "plugged up" so new vehicles are sitting on the docks and in some cases on ships in the harbor because the dock storage lots are full.

A place I like for good used trucks, OffLeaseOnly, only has 2 RAM 2500 diesels in stock. They usually have 2 dozen. The manager said the owners stopped buying from the wholesalers when the pandemic hit so they wouldn't get stuck with a bunch of inventory and no customers. From their POV, they can restock in about 2 weeks once they see demand pick up. So better to miss a few weeks of sales then to get stuck carrying a bunch of vehicles for months.

Last edited:

Elijah

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Way over priced.

Here is some food for thought.
I have a2017 big horn.
I purchased it new in 2017.
1 year later with 8500 miles later the dealer offered me 28k.
I kept my truck.
I now have 23k miles.
No intention of selling.

Point is go for the big horn with a loan check in hand.

Tell them that's all your willing to pay out the door. Title taxes full track if gas and they activate the Nav, etc

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure you need the Ram Box? That really limits the trucks available.

OP
OP
D

Dltigers3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure you need the Ram Box? That really limits the trucks available.
Yes, that is a deal breaker option. I would rather wait for years for the right truck to come along than settle for one without the Rambox. I’m in a good position in that I don’t need a new vehicle at the moment, but will in a couple years.

Scott S

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd suggest keep looking as used vehicles are starting to drop in value due to discounts and promos on new ones.

Make a wish list of features and get busy searching online and put feelers out to local dealers for exactly what you want.

Jeremy Fry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They both seem a over priced. I just got my 2017 Bighorn with the V8 for 23k with 50k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
Op,

given that FCA has been off production for the last 2 months due to the virus, and people have continued to buy cars with stimulus money, now is not the time to be looking for this truck.

Inventories are low prices are high and there's no new vehicles being produced so everybody's having to buy used

If it were me I would continue searching, looking for the truck now you're going to pay three to $4,000 more unless you go to an area that has plentiful used cars which means you need to search the entire US.

The mega dealers will have the largest inventory as they had the largest inventory of new cars before FCA suspended production.

Good luck with your search

kellgp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Op,

given that FCA has been off production for the last 2 months due to the virus, and people have continued to buy cars with stimulus money, now is not the time to be looking for this truck.

Inventories are low prices are high and there's no new vehicles being produced so everybody's having to buy used

If it were me I would continue searching, looking for the truck now you're going to pay three to $4,000 more unless you go to an area that has plentiful used cars which means you need to search the entire US.

The mega dealers will have the largest inventory as they had the largest inventory of new cars before FCA suspended production.

Good luck with your search
Agreed!

dingo7285

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with most here, you can find a better deal. The auto industry is dying right now, and before labor day they will need to liquidate their stock. With a influx of 18's-20's sitting in lots it will drive down all costs. While I did buy a base model (tradesman, 4x4, by, quad) I got it for $30k out the door brand new.

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
Miles add up fast. Just not that fast. I couldn't afford much. So I got what I could. What I got had oil change issues I'm working through. It's coming back to life in a good way. My 08 has 121k on it. But the oil changes weren't done right. So I am getting that better. That new. That many miles. That makes me run. That was a hauler I bet. That's why the miles are so high. What was hauled is the bigger question. That's the only way I can explain do many miles in so few years. Keep looking. Or grab the low mileage one if it drives good. My case. I might be trading in at the end of my 4 years. Don't know. Time will tell. I'm in a somewhat rural area. Miles do build fast. Just not that fast. I would ask if it was a hauler truck. If that is the one you like. But you have the lower mileage one. Those miles are more in line with regular use. Still with used. It's just that. It's used. It could be a gem. Or it could cost you some to make it your gem. You decide. In the time i have owned mine. Purchase date is in my name. I haven't had major repairs. I had to put tires on it. That's when i found out she isn't so straight. Yet I had a ranger that was straight. But stuffed with trouble. Spend a few months looking. Unless you must get now. Rams are good. I sold ford and Chevy. I know what they drive like new. My ram feels better than a new silverado when I was selling many years ago. Like when my ram was new. So you chose the right truck model. Just need to find that truck. Best of luck.

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Averageguy,

New is out of my price range for sure. I could buy a new base model, but I don’t want a base model. I’d rather have a nicer vehicle with some miles than a new vehicle that is bare bones. I’ve got about 22k between trade in and cash so that’s what interested me about that Laramie, not having a payment would be really nice

Too bad I'm up here in Canada ... I just traded my 2017 Longhorn in on January 31 for a new 2020 Longhorn ... My 2017 has the options you are looking for and then some, including heated and cooled from seats, heated rear seats, air suspension, Navigation, heated steering wheel, etc ... I only used synthetic oil and it had less than 27,000 kilometres on it, which is around 16,000 miles ... and the dealers asking price is around $26 k American ... Here's a pic of it ... So they are out there ... Good luck on your search (and it's still on the dealers lot)...72827611.jpg