Help! Fuel pump/stalling/maybe electrical

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kimstwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello! I am new and at a loss here. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L engine. It runs great overall. I am not a DIYer, although I am also not a total *****. The truck started long cranking a few weeks ago. Eventually it did not want to start, but I was able to get it to a shop I generally trust. They looked at it and said the fuel pressure was low and needed a fuel pump. I had that replaced for nearly $1200. Picked it up and drove home. It ran like a champ as usual. I parked it and went out for a few hours. Came home and went to go to store and it didn’t want to start, but also I felt it was more like a stalling out in addition to long cranking. Finally by the grace of God it does start and it goes right back to the shop that day. They looked at it again and said it had burnt out the pump and they felt it was an electrical issue; suggested I take to a dealer as they did not have the necessary equipment or maybe they just didn’t know what to do at that point.

When I picked it up, it did not want to start. A couple of the guys came outside but nobody could get her going again. I had it towed to a dealer on 12/13. I told them all of the above and left all the paperwork for their review. They decided it needed a factory fuel pump and I feel they did not listen to everything I told them, but okay. I allowed them to put the pump in. I picked it up today and it started right up the first time. A minute later I started it again and it started reluctantly and stalled out. It did that again. Then it long cranked and would not start, so I left it there again today.

I saw some other posts here describing problems similar to this but I don’t know enough to explain to them what could be wrong. TIPM? Is this something I should have looked at? Surely they have seen this before. I’m out $2400 and I still don’t have her back.

If you read all this, thank you.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Hello! I am new and at a loss here. I have a 2012 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L engine. It runs great overall. I am not a DIYer, although I am also not a total *****. The truck started long cranking a few weeks ago. Eventually it did not want to start, but I was able to get it to a shop I generally trust. They looked at it and said the fuel pressure was low and needed a fuel pump. I had that replaced for nearly $1200. Picked it up and drove home. It ran like a champ as usual. I parked it and went out for a few hours. Came home and went to go to store and it didn’t want to start, but also I felt it was more like a stalling out in addition to long cranking. Finally by the grace of God it does start and it goes right back to the shop that day. They looked at it again and said it had burnt out the pump and they felt it was an electrical issue; suggested I take to a dealer as they did not have the necessary equipment or maybe they just didn’t know what to do at that point.

When I picked it up, it did not want to start. A couple of the guys came outside but nobody could get her going again. I had it towed to a dealer on 12/13. I told them all of the above and left all the paperwork for their review. They decided it needed a factory fuel pump and I feel they did not listen to everything I told them, but okay. I allowed them to put the pump in. I picked it up today and it started right up the first time. A minute later I started it again and it started reluctantly and stalled out. It did that again. Then it long cranked and would not start, so I left it there again today.

I saw some other posts here describing problems similar to this but I don’t know enough to explain to them what could be wrong. TIPM? Is this something I should have looked at? Surely they have seen this before. I’m out $2400 and I still don’t have her back.

If you read all this, thank you.

Hmmm, I’ll be watching this thread :waytogo:

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Search and purchase a TIPM bypass kit. $20ish and 5mins to install yourself. If you listen right by the gas tank you can probably hear the pump running even though the truck isn’t running. It’s burning up the fuel pump. Disconnect the battery until you get the bypass kit or you’ll need a 3rd fuel pump. I went through 1 pump and then almost a 2nd before I figured this out. Drove the truck for another 2yrs with the bypass on it no issues.

OP
OP
Kimstwin

Kimstwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had called the dealer the other day and it was starting and running. I will suggest this, but they didn’t seem real receptive to my input. Is this something easy I can do with zero/minimal mechanical ability?

Thanks for the suggestions!

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Yeah just open the fuse box and place the bypass via the instructions, 5mins tops. No skills or ability needed.

jaked1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

heres the link for the bypass and instructions

OP
OP
Kimstwin

Kimstwin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I went today and got her back. Guy went out to bring it me and took him four times to start. . He walks up and asks why is my truck there. . Anyways, a kindergartner could put that part in. So far, so good. Only time will tell.

bigsam911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine is intermittent. When I put mine in the ON position the fuel pump only runs for 1 second. I would expect it to be longer. Did you solve your issue?