Help, Hit a beaver, broke something in front grill / wheel ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TrucksNDogs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi All,

So during an all out downpour I'm heading home and this #$@! Beaver is in the middle of the road. No time to stop safely and unfortunately I ended up hitting the thing. Long story short it did some damage under the front bumper. Seems like some sort of rod with a hydraulic piece and it looks like part of the flap that would be under the bumper? Like a scrape guard? I have a few pics but unfortunately it's dark. I will try to get more tomorrow.

https ://photos.app.goo.gl/UXdMo5EXF5oNWvnS7

Last edited:

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is the extra spoiler that deploys during highway travel. I actually removed mine and tucked the wire harness up on the frame.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Picture please

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It is that extra spoiler that deploys during hwy speed to help with wind resistance and ultimately a little mpg. Others on this forum have hit stuff, broke it, and removed it.

OP
OP
T

TrucksNDogs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ah OK, Thanks... Since my truck is only a year old I think I will try to get it replaced. I priced the part out at about $300.00. I'm assuming about an hour of labor at the dealership...

Thanks all for the quick responses.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ah OK, Thanks... Since my truck is only a year old I think I will try to get it replaced. I priced the part out at about $300.00. I'm assuming about an hour of labor at the dealership...

Claim it on your insurance. I live in Alabama and my insurance deductible is a 100.00 for animal strike and it don't goes against you being an animal strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robert1949

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I do understand the frustration of hitting little critters. my rabbit cost be nearly 500.00 to replace that retractable air dram. and my insurance company said so sorry. I wish ram would build a stronger one or a more flexible one..

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Might want to re-think that.

It serves no functional purpose,in the real World.
It's sole function is to deploy, at highway speeds, to aid in this flying Brick in getting that extra minuscule amount of fuel economy.
AN idea that work flawlessly, on a design board and in a wind tunnel.

In the Real World, **** is going to smash that piece of plastic and you will be constantly replacing it.
No different than an Air Dam back in the 1980-s to today, that gets tore off when one goes over a Parking lot bumpers with the nose of the car.
A far better investment, for your money, is to buy a Transmission Skid Plate.

FYI, your transmission cover is plastic.

whetrick1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes I do understand the frustration of hitting little critters. my rabbit cost be nearly 500.00 to replace that retractable air dram. and my insurance company said so sorry. I wish ram would build a stronger one or a more flexible one..

My wife hit a raccoon and broke the air dam on her Nissan Maxima and my insurance paid for it. Sounds like you need a new insurance company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I hit the beaver as often as my wife... Um... Never mind you mean the furry... Wait... That might not be right.. Ah, you mean the dam building rodent! I gotcha now.

Yeah, I agree with the folks above, I wouldn't waste my money replacing that air dam.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Primus's "Wynona's big brown beaver" has been stuck in my head since reading this thread. :/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2023RamWarlock