Help! Keys locked inside?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lewbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all:

I went hiking this morning and at the end of the day I could not get back into my truck! The thing is, I got the truck to the trailhead, so I definitely had them then.

They might be in the camper, but we looked everywhere. They might be in the truck. (Can they be in the truck? Wouldn’t the doors open?)

I only brought the one key. What are my options?

Halp!!BD9AE804-74DC-435C-A6F0-96C964BDA6BD.jpeg

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
There not in the truck. It won't lock with a fob inside.
My 2016 will lock with the keys inside. Had it happen more than once. Luckily it happened at home where I had spare FOBs. I now carry a duplicate door key in a hide-a-way box

Last edited:

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2016 will lock with the keys inside. Had it happen more than once. Luckily it happened at home where I had spar FOBs. I now carry a duplicate door key in a hide-a-way box
You could absolutely lock the key inside on 4th gens if you didn't have passive entry and push button start. Happened to me with a 2015 Tradesman I once owned. We could see it through the window sitting in one of the center cup holders. We ended up calling a locksmith. @Lewbrown you may need to do the same if you haven't remedied your issue yet.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hey all:

I went hiking this morning and at the end of the day I could not get back into my truck! The thing is, I got the truck to the trailhead, so I definitely had them then.

They might be in the camper, but we looked everywhere. They might be in the truck. (Can they be in the truck? Wouldn’t the doors open?)

I only brought the one key. What are my options?

Halp!!View attachment 514003

I have 21 Rebel. It doesn't let you lock the doors with key inside. Neither would yours.
If the key fob is close or in the truck. Pulling the handles makes it unlock/open.

As someone mentioned above. If you signed up for the uconnect, it would open as well.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I know it will not help right now, but may i suggest that you add a TILE to your FOB, luggage, dog, children's back packs, etc.

personally, i have AAA Premier for my Ram & Harley & any vehicle that i am riding in that breaks down

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Even on 2021 and 2022 you can lock a key FOB inside. If all the doors are locked, get out last person to exit pushes the manual lock Tab down, little silver thing on the top edge of the door, door will lock and stay locked first time. Many guys have accidentally locked themselves out by hitting that with an elbow getting out and then closing the door.

If you locked the doors with the button on the exterior door handle, or the electronic door lock button near the armrest you can be sure the FOB is not inside the truck as like the others said, it will auto unlock and honk at you, at least for the first two times you try it. On your 22, you still have Mopar roadside. Call them, they should be able to remote unlock it for you. Problem is, without the FOB you aren't going anywhere. Don't know if Uconnect or Raodside can start the pickup and get it to run till you get home.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Glad it worked out and you found the FOB. I bet you put a valet key in a magnetic box for future use. Lowes has the blanks and will cut flat versions for 3 bucks a pop. I have one on every vehicle and because I do I have never had to use one. Guaranteed if they weren't there I would need it.

Last edited:

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I remember when I bought my '99 Ram. First truck with power locks. In the first 3 months of owning it, I must have locked the key in it 6 times.
Always in Home depot parking lot, and always the same locksmith came out to unlock the door. He finally after the 4th time told me to carry a spare key.

Amazing how fast he could open the door with just a straight 3/16 rod. About faster than I could with a key.

Reaper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all for your responses. Some of you were correct. You can infact lock your fob in the center console. That’s where we found them after the locksmith opened the door.
Next time just call Uconnect. My contract had expired with them, but I was in BFE hunting and had locked my keys in the truck. Luckily I had my cell and called them, they sent an unlock signal for free.
Thank you all for your responses. Some of you were correct. You can infact lock your fob in the center console. That’s where we found them after the locksmith opened the door.

OP
OP
Lewbrown

Lewbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Which is crazy, because I called Stellantis Roadside Assistance instead, figuring that was what they would do.

RJR49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It can happen with any generation if you attenuate the radio signal with something. In my case I tossed a bottle of water on the seat of my Corvette while I filled it with gas. Of course the bottle landed on top of the key fob and it locked when I closed the door. Happened again when the key fell down next to the seat. I now have a trunk key we'll hidden