Help. Leak thermostat housing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Odin510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just bought a 2013 ram Hemi 5.7 60000 miles
I first notice a smell of coolant then check the coolant reservoir was empty. I found the coolant leaking from upper radiator hose connecting to the thermostat housing. The spring clamp was rusted and broke then trying to release the clamp. So I assumed the clamp was the issue. I figured if I’m going to replace the clamp and drain the coolant, might as well do a coolant flush, replace thermostat, upper radiator hose, dorman spring clamp 2” -2”. After all complete, I smell coolant and the same leak.
Leak is at the the connection between the upper hose and the neck of the thermostat housing.
Any ideas? Wrapped thermostat housing? Too big of clamp? 2 1/4 size
Thanks

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
sounds like thats all it can be is the housing.maybe try a screw clamp.me personally am not a fan of spring clamps.make sure inside of hose is smooth.ive recently replaced my t-stat housing myself in my 04.rock auto,like ten bucks

rampower2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I would put a regular hose clamp on the instead of the clamp style hose clamp I don't think they get tight enough try that

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Did you pull the hose off? Or just the clamp? I've seen corrosion build up between the hose and the housing neck cause it to leak.

OP
OP
O

Odin510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input
Coolant, hose, spring clamp, and thermostat was replaced with new components. Still was leaking at the same location.
But I did add a screw clamp and that holding great! NO leaks! I will be checking every other day for leaks
Thanks again!

Octane

Reaction score
Thanks for the input
Coolant, hose, spring clamp, and thermostat was replaced with new components. Still was leaking at the same location.
But I did add a screw clamp and that holding great! NO leaks! I will be checking every other day for leaks
Thanks again!
Those thermostat housings for the 5.7 are inexpensive to replace and they do rust and corrode rather quickly.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
had same problems when i was younger with those spring clamps,thats why i am not a fan of them.they lose tension over time .screw clamps are the way to go,you can make them as tight as you want ,just dont go gorilla on em.make sure the t-stat housing is not corroding,as they will over time thats why i replaced mine.i noticed it changing my t-stat and figured id replace it while i was there.my 04 t-stat housing was 10 or 12 bucks from rock auto.sounds like you might be good to go with the screw clamp though.good luck

OP
OP
O

Odin510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I replaced thermostat housing and put a new spring clamp. Still
leaking a tad, so I put back the screw clamp. No leaks so far. I will check back the next few days. Thanks all for input.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
if you have new t.stat housing,new upper rad. hose and screw clamp tight i dont understand how you can be leaking.are you sure the leak is coming from in between the hose and housing?if thats where the leak is something must be defective,possibly t-stat hosing out of round.

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
definitly go with the screw clamp.if you dont have the exact size spring clamp it will not seal .

srv1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
345 c.i. HEMI MAGNUM
if you are able to,post a pic of the area so i can get a look at it.

OP
OP
O

Odin510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New thermostat housing
Add rmi25
Rmi has a dye
Small leak from hose clamp

E3576237-DC47-40ED-B1B0-7A2577FC4439.jpeg

A2A72A3C-0837-4C1D-B4A8-D71BD6225A56.jpeg

4F7E8F82-A5E9-467E-897E-6A50F805BB42.jpeg

1680B43F-E38B-45AB-8171-F3D2FAC416C7.jpeg

OP
OP
O

Odin510

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tightened it bit more and washed off the dye so I will see check in a coupe days

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi, I've in the past put some Hytack made by permatex, just brush some on the inside of the hose, let it cure per directions, that may take care of the leak, and that heater hose looks like a problem do the same thing with that and put a worm gear clamp on that.

MoparLifer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Odin510...I have the same exact coolant leak. 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L 86,000 mi. Ive been chasing this small leak for about 9 months. It seems to come and go. I think it may be coming from Tstat housing seal. Ive replaced EVERYTHING twice. Thermostat, upper hose, Tstat housing (not to mention the coolant replaced by default) and not using spring clamps. I can never seem to catch it in the act. It dont leak much, just enough to smell hot coolant when walking in front of truck after parked. Seems to start leaking after thermostat opens then it stops. I made sure every time there is no corrosion around Tstat sealing area and always replace the housing with a new Mopar part thats coated with black paint or powder coating. worm clamps are as tight as Id ever want them to be.....
Its really driving me nuts and it seems to be a real phantom issues with these engines. Ive done everything I can possibly do, took every precaution I could think of....there is no reason why the thing is leaking coolant. I can never seem to catch it actually leaking. If I can somehow see it leaking I might have a better idea. Stumped! Has anyone else seen something like this?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Odin510...I have the same exact coolant leak. 2014 Ram 1500 5.7L 86,000 mi. Ive been chasing this small leak for about 9 months. It seems to come and go. I think it may be coming from Tstat housing seal. Ive replaced EVERYTHING twice. Thermostat, upper hose, Tstat housing (not to mention the coolant replaced by default) and not using spring clamps. I can never seem to catch it in the act. It dont leak much, just enough to smell hot coolant when walking in front of truck after parked. Seems to start leaking after thermostat opens then it stops. I made sure every time there is no corrosion around Tstat sealing area and always replace the housing with a new Mopar part thats coated with black paint or powder coating. worm clamps are as tight as Id ever want them to be.....
Its really driving me nuts and it seems to be a real phantom issues with these engines. Ive done everything I can possibly do, took every precaution I could think of....there is no reason why the thing is leaking coolant. I can never seem to catch it actually leaking. If I can somehow see it leaking I might have a better idea. Stumped! Has anyone else seen something like this?

Look real close at the end tanks on the radiator,they have been known to leak/sweat when the radiator gets hot.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Screw clamps are the only way to go.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see coolant leaks in soft line connections during cold weather below 35 degrees. When its parked overnight gets completely cooled off starts to drip. Worm clamps are good if you dont overtighten them.

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

MoparLifer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Look real close at the end tanks on the radiator,they have been known to leak/sweat when the radiator gets hot.
Thank you for your responses. I am happy to announce that Ive finally found the source of the coolant smell and phantom leak. Although i have replaced the radiator once, all cooling and heater hoses twice, including the hard pipe for water pump, and spring clamps tossed and traded for worm clamps, and new radiator cap twice....the leak was caused from corrosion under the lower radiator hose where it attaches to the water pump. I have seen this corrosion the first time around, removed it with a strip of Emory cloth and reinstalled hose. Evidently the corrosion grew back with a vengeance under the hose right where clamp tightens down (aluminum pump housing)
Drained the coolant once again...removed the corrosion....cleaned the area very well and coated bare aluminum where the rad hose connects with ZINC PHOSPHATE primer...2 coats ( 2 light coats only. Never apply thick coats) and let dry 12 hours. That area will only corrode again long after the truck is in the junkyard and Im long gone.
Hope this helps someone out there...this drove me insane for a long time.
This should stop the problem. Ive been a Aircraft Mechanic for 31 years and well acquainted with Zinc Chromate and Zinc Phosphate Primers. This stuff is amazing to stop / prevent corrosion on aluminum parts.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45