Help me choose which truck

Black or White

• Black

Votes: 25 59.5%
  • White

Votes: 17 40.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I'm currently looking at 2 different 2017 2500s. Both are Laramies. Both are leveled, have 35" tires in good shape The white one does not have the full center console which I really covet, but only has 76000 miles and just had a new deal installed transmission installed, has been dpf and egr deleted with an aftermarket exhaust. They are asking $47,900. The black truck has 122000 miles does have the full center console, and has not been tampered with, has the 18" wheels which I also prefer and they are asking $37,999. Any reasons you all have for choosing one over the other??
8.jpg
Black 2017.PNG

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
If you live in a state that does NOT have emmission inspection and never plan on going to one that does, there is nothing wrong with a deleted truck. HOWEVER, unless the enforcement climate changes, expect some dealers to walk away from it because most of them can't legally sell it. If you intend to keep it forever, the deleted one is a good option, IMO. BUTTTTTTTT, if you ever have an ECM issue that requires it to be flashed/programmed, you have a big problem....Because you would then have to reflash it with the delete program and many of those companies ceased to exist after the enforcement actions that have been prevalent. Keep that in mind...It's a gamble you take for the performance you'll get.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
If you live in a state that does NOT have emmission inspection and never plan on going to one that does, there is nothing wrong with a deleted truck. HOWEVER, unless the enforcement climate changes, expect some dealers to walk away from it because most of them can't legally sell it. If you intend to keep it forever, the deleted one is a good option, IMO. BUTTTTTTTT, if you ever have an ECM issue that requires it to be flashed/programmed, you have a big problem....Because you would then have to reflash it with the delete program and many of those companies ceased to exist after the enforcement actions that have been prevalent. Keep that in mind...It's a gamble you take for the performance you'll get.
I am surprised it is at a dealer. If we get a deleted truck from trade-in, we have to wholesale it. Can't put it on the lot.

OP
OP
Bennutts

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I am surprised it is at a dealer. If we get a deleted truck from trade-in, we have to wholesale it. Can't put it on the lot.
I was a bit surprised myself. I reside in KS where we have no emissions requirements.

Jim BB

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 classic Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Black one has never been touched with full center console and in my eyes not touched and console is a plus !!!
does black one have service recorders!? that you can follow Ie oil changes and thing they had done and where?
why selling? Miles are not a issue if you can see it has been looked after and you can read the people selling it like older folks probably just drove it for holidays type of thing ie easy miles verse someone that went out off roading it! hard miles!

let us know what way you go!

OP
OP
Bennutts

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
My biggest hangup between the 2 trucks is really the mileage. Any reason to be scared of the 122k? I am going to have to hang on to it for quite a while says the wife..

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Having had a couple of diesels, id sure not be afraid of 122k. And for $10k less i think its a good buy. So the black truck is my choice hands down. Plus if the white one has all the mods, what else has been done that doesnt show up negatively until you own it. My son bought two modified mustangs sone years ago and each was a big disaster. Again, id opt for the ****** black truck. Enjoy

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'll comment on color only, as others have covered the rest.

I used to hate white - boring and blends into snow background up here. Didn't like black either, gets too hot in summer, blends into background at night.

Bought used white, it stays much cooler in summer, we don't get high snow often and only 5 possible months, white is most popular color, highest resale value color = easier to sell. Most contractors trucks are white to add company logo.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can see why it's a difficult decision. I voted for white b/c lot fewer miles (on the rest of the truck too), easier to keep clean, shows less scratches, and if the mods are working, it's less work for you. You can replace the seats and console but you can't roll back the miles very easy. I wouldn't worry about selling it, you can always sell it 3rd party after you've owned it 5 years or so.

But if you prefer black trucks ...maybe that's the one for you. I have a white truck. It's ok, not my favorite color ...but I've had some black vehicles in the past and kind of told myself I was going to take a break from owning a black vehicle for a long time. You need a 3rd option (blue)!! LOL. My neighbor has a metallic blue 2500 diesel 4th gen just like yours pictured and it looks gorgeous.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bennutts

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've always preferred white as well, for all the reasons mentioned. I'm starting to lean more towards the black truck, just because of it having not been tampered with and it is a 1 ownder. I like the idea of the egr and dpf delete for the gains, but like zogg said it does make me wonder what else has been messed with. The price is also a HUGE factor. Buying the more expensive truck then having to pour more money into it to get the center console it a major downside.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
OP: The price is also a HUGE factor. Buying the more expensive truck then having to pour more money into it to get the center console it a major downside.

That's a true statement! Hard to argue against that amt of money. 10k is lot of money to me too. If you wait a year or so, I'm sure you can find a center console used as more of these end up in salvage yards. I myself prefer the 'bench' seat. The console makes the cabin feel snug and tight inside (to me), and my knee knocks on the console... but to each is own, I get that.

My brother did an egr delete on a diesel (not RAM) and it never ran as well. In fact I know a couple guys who've 'done' them and they spent a ton of time, obsessively, and didn't always run great. I bet they never saved a nickle when you figure the hours and hours (and MORE hours...lol) spent. But I'm going to guess some owners have had success.

Last edited:

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
These days with environmentalists getting a free hand, I’d stick with the black one.

OP
OP
Bennutts

Bennutts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
UPDATE: I've been talking with the dealership all morning about the black truck, then about an hour ago he sends me pictures of body damage to the rear quarter panel. He says the carfax is clean and he is was not aware of it before he started talking to me. Said he didn't want to proceed any further until he gets the story on it. He seems genuine about it.

Black1500Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
UPDATE: I've been talking with the dealership all morning about the black truck, then about an hour ago he sends me pictures of body damage to the rear quarter panel. He says the carfax is clean and he is was not aware of it before he started talking to me. Said he didn't want to proceed any further until he gets the story on it. He seems genuine about it.
If it's not bad tell him $35k fixed and you'll take it.

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine

Im probably biased, ok.. I’m totally biased, but I’m leaning towards Black.

Just remember ‘Black Trucks Matter’ too, lol.

Id be happy with either one. Body damage? The fact the dealer contacted you about it is a plus. I’d want to see how much ‘actual’ damage there may be. Superficial, not a big deal……. Structural…. Move on.

:waytogo:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I voted black, more mileage yes, but a new transmission on the white one with less mileage and mods? Means the engine was likely getting romped and probably towing over max load. In my mind that all offsets any milage difference.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio