Help! Need experienced 5th Wheel advice!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

pastort55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey, thanks for taking the time to provide a thorough helpful eval of my situation... I really appreciate it. It is clear that what I'm looking tow is over the head of my Hemi ... thankfully its a good time to sell a used HD ... and I just may wait till next season to purchase hoping the prices drop a little. thanks again!!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My 2015 RAM 4x4 crew cab long bed weighs in at 9100 lbs. empty. I have an inside the bed tool box and ARP elec. steps. I have a 32 ft. fifth wheel that weighs 12000 lbs. empty so It's closer to 14000. Remember the tongue weight is 20-25% of the trailer weight for fifth wheel. I have the 6.7 Cummins with the engine brake. The engine brake is important when hauling heavy loads. This is what happens when you lose trailer brakes.

Attachments

• Truck wreck.jpg
    Truck wreck.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
Help! Totally confused here... so I have a 2015 2500 6.4 with long bed and 4.10. My towing capacity is 15,650 with a payload of 2850.

I'm looking to go with a 14,000 5th wheel with a 2700 payload. I know I'm close ... but am I too close? I was planning on adding airbags to level out and upgrade my brakes.

Am I going to regret this or should I trade in? Getting top $ for trade in's lately .... but I really don't want to give up my Lifetime Warranty that I have on my 2500. We've done cross country 3x with a 10,000 TT (no issues) and plan to go again

Anyone towing these kind of numbers or have some helpful advice?

thanks!!
I read this thread. You will be well over the capacity of the truck. In some states this would be illegal. You also risk any warranty, insurance claims, and open yourself up to problems if in an accident. You need a bigger truck.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If your asking the question for reassurance then you already know you need a bigger truck or smaller camper.

Read the fine print of your insurance or just call them as and if things like knowingly exceeding GCWR is covered.