Help with gas milage!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Minnich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello,
I just recently purchased a 2021 RAM 1500 Hemi 5.7 V8 Multi Displacement VVT eTorque. The truck is in great condition, and the only thing it has new from the dealership are the tires. Its sitting on 20 inch rims, which I am not sure if they are stock or not (I know they come in 20 inch and 18 inch rims).
Anyways, I have been driving it for about a month now, and I am only getting about 13 miles per gallon. Even at the cruise set at 55 mph, I may get 15 mpg. I am supposed to be getting 17/24 mpg, and am barely getting half. I am only driving it in 2wd and have been babying it. Any suggestions?
Thank you!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Your running a winter blend fuel and it's cold out which usually ding the fuel economy a couple of mpg. Both gasoline and diesel have winter blends in the northern states. Remote starting and letting the engine warm up will lower the dash fuel economy number also. You also need to do the mpg calculations by hand the dash is usually off on the gassers.
Not many with the Hemi toute getting over 20 mpg and that's usually highway mileage. The eTorque isn't the fuel savings miracle device that Ram states it is. If fuel economy is your main concern, you bought the wrong engine. I'll get 13 mpg with my EcoDiesel when I'm towing an 8K lbs trailer otherwise it's usually 22 mpg or better.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm one of those guys who can easily hit 22+ mpg on the highway. But right now with some mixed driving, winter fuel, and remote starts, I'm at about 16 to 17.

As pacofortacos said, the v8 is only rated at 21 highway.

You didn't mention gear ratio, if you have the 3.92 you'll probably lose 1 or 2 additional mpgs over the 3.21 highway gears.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I get 16.5 mpg 90 percent hwy going 75mph and I drive 80 miles a day 4 days a week.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
What Model RAM do you have ?
That will tell you tire size for that model.
As mentioned Winter Gas can kill MPG 1 to 3 mpg
As mention what gears do you have ?
Go to the Mopar web site and type in your vin, All free info

Google Vin decoders as well

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Do the older rams have tire pressure warnings? My truck just flashed me this morning, down to 28 psi in my right rear, with the changing temps your tire air pressure might be reduced and you can lose another mpg that way.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello,
I just recently purchased a 2021 RAM 1500 Hemi 5.7 V8 Multi Displacement VVT eTorque. The truck is in great condition, and the only thing it has new from the dealership are the tires. Its sitting on 20 inch rims, which I am not sure if they are stock or not (I know they come in 20 inch and 18 inch rims).
Anyways, I have been driving it for about a month now, and I am only getting about 13 miles per gallon. Even at the cruise set at 55 mph, I may get 15 mpg. I am supposed to be getting 17/24 mpg, and am barely getting half. I am only driving it in 2wd and have been babying it. Any suggestions?
Thank you!
What brand/model/size are the tires? This can make a HUGE difference in mileage. Post a pic of the wheel. If your truck came with 17”/18” from factory and now has 20’s…the speedo may never have been recalibrated and that can throw mpg numbers off. The weight/friction(footprint) of the tires is significant.
When I upgraded I lost 2-3 mpg.
But even with everything you see below in my signature, I am getting better mikeage than you are stating and I have a heavy foot.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
that mpg is low for 55mph. I have a 2020 with 6.4 and 35's and even with winter fuel get much better than that even at 65mph. If you are running oversize tires and speedometer has not been corrected that will throw your mpg off because you will show fewer miles traveled than actual miles traveled.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do the older rams have tire pressure warnings?
Tire pressure monitoring was a standard option by the '08 model year for the Ram trucks

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
truck is new so it is still earning how you drive. Give it 500 miles or so.
Not V-8 is going to get 24 mpg.
Guys who claim 22 mpg are lucky AND I doubt them all.
19 mpg is afar more common with 17 to 18 being even more so.

City, 13 to 15 is most common, from my own experiences and what I have read.

Your door will have a sticker showing tire size. changing tire size to a more aggressive, tougher looking tire will lower your MPG.
Simply changing your tire, same size same class of tire, to a better quality tire, lower your MPG.
Its called rolling resistance. Tire weight plays a part in MPG.

You bought a truck not a Pruis.
If you want better fuel economy, buy the highest octane, non ethanol, absolutely best quality fuel you can find AND drive like a 95 yr old woman.
I can help you find the best fuel , in your area.

Even using these stations, you need to buy the best, fuel, if you want the best, MPG.
World Class Athletes don't live on the cheapest Donuts they can scrounge.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I do get 20/22 mpg summer time but I also have the Pentastar V6 4x4 :O
The V6 works for me as it is a street queen and does not tow or rarely does any work lol
But as mention get the build sheet of your truck, check what tires you have now all good advice above

Last edited:

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I recently went from NC to SWFL. My EVIC when I got back showed 23.7 mpg. Hand calc was 22 mpg. Mostly 5 over the speed limit. Use 87 octane gas, almost exclusively.

My '15 SLT QC 5.7L 2WD 3.21 has 159k miles now.

Around SWFL, my EVIC will show anywhere from 17.5 to 19.5 ish, depending upon how much in town driving/idling I have and how much I use the skinny pedal.....lol.

And traffic has been stupid heavy ever since Hurricane Ian, with all the extra people, plus the snowbirds checking on their homes, and our tourist season in swing.

I have Cooper Discoverer AT tires LT265/70R17 E rated and I did notice about a 1ish mpg drop in my EVIC since using them.

So many things can make a difference with our trucks, but I got a V8 because I wanted a V8 and was resigned to the fact it would cost more in gas.

Didn't plan on gas prices going ape-**** the last couple years, and don't like the higher cost, but it is what it is.

Makes me smile when I push the go pedal...lol.

Enjoy your truck, and do the best you can.

Last edited:

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pay no attention to the temp…I havent set my eFan thresholds yet.
My tires and wheels weigh like 75lbs and I run them at 42psi. But still look at what my Lie-O-Meter says… Hand calculated it was 15.3 mpg. Mix of every road type and several hard accelerations in there…
1673816979814.jpeg

OP
OP
M

Minnich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What Model RAM do you have ?
That will tell you tire size for that model.
As mentioned Winter Gas can kill MPG 1 to 3 mpg
As mention what gears do you have ?
Go to the Mopar web site and type in your vin, All free info

Google Vin decoders as well

I have the
2021 Ram 1500 big horn/long horn edition
5.7L HEMI®
V8 Engine
With eTorque

I just checked the tires and rims and they are factory rated.

OP
OP
M

Minnich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What brand/model/size are the tires? This can make a HUGE difference in mileage. Post a pic of the wheel. If your truck came with 17”/18” from factory and now has 20’s…the speedo may never have been recalibrated and that can throw mpg numbers off. The weight/friction(footprint) of the tires is significant.
When I upgraded I lost 2-3 mpg.
But even with everything you see below in my signature, I am getting better mikeage than you are stating and I have a heavy foot.
Thanks for the response. I just compared the size of the new tires compared to what is recommended, and I am see the same for everything.

OP
OP
M

Minnich

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
truck is new so it is still earning how you drive. Give it 500 miles or so.
Not V-8 is going to get 24 mpg.
Guys who claim 22 mpg are lucky AND I doubt them all.
19 mpg is afar more common with 17 to 18 being even more so.

City, 13 to 15 is most common, from my own experiences and what I have read.

Your door will have a sticker showing tire size. changing tire size to a more aggressive, tougher looking tire will lower your MPG.
Simply changing your tire, same size same class of tire, to a better quality tire, lower your MPG.
Its called rolling resistance. Tire weight plays a part in MPG.

You bought a truck not a Pruis.
If you want better fuel economy, buy the highest octane, non ethanol, absolutely best quality fuel you can find AND drive like a 95 yr old woman.
I can help you find the best fuel , in your area.

Even using these stations, you need to buy the best, fuel, if you want the best, MPG.
World Class Athletes don't live on the cheapest Donuts they can scrounge.
Thanks for the response. Here is what I’ve been seeing online, which matched the recommendation from the dealership. I’ve watched some videos online where it shows people getting low 20s highway with the same year/make/model.
And I just checked the new tires, which show being the same size as factory.

Attachments

• 51AB682C-FCB6-49DB-8B9E-1F16E14A9C7A.jpeg
    51AB682C-FCB6-49DB-8B9E-1F16E14A9C7A.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 6

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have the
2021 Ram 1500 big horn/long horn edition
5.7L HEMI®
V8 Engine
With eTorque

I just checked the tires and rims and they are factory rated.
Do you know what your gear ratio is ?