Help with lift!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Barber

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Can you stack a 2 inch spacer on top of coils of a 5 inch rough country lift? What problems will it create. This will be in a 96 ram. I want at least 10 inches to fit 38’s. Thanks for any help and advice.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Can you physically do this... yes, you can.

Are there possible repercussions or problems, yes, there could be. And I certainly wouldn't add extra lift to a Rough Country short arm front suspension because the suspension doesn't have enough adjustment.

Usually nine inches is a minimum to properly fit a true 38 inch tire.
So effectively adding 2+5 isn't gonna cut it. A body lift is not the solution either.

I would recommend reading this:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/lift-basics-for-2nd-gen-4x4-rams.25153/

Your question is actually answered in the first post if you read it carefully.

At that point you should talk to Danny at Dodge Off Road. He has the pieces you need to build a proper suspension, sans the beefy axles.

Moparfanatic21

U.S. Marine Vet - 0321, Now a Doctor...of Vehicles
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I fit 40s on a 5in lift on my 2500

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you physically do this... yes, you can.

Are there possible repercussions or problems, yes, there could be. And I certainly wouldn't add extra lift to a Rough Country short arm front suspension because the suspension doesn't have enough adjustment.

Usually nine inches is a minimum to properly fit a true 38 inch tire.
So effectively adding 2+5 isn't gonna cut it. A body lift is not the solution either.

I would recommend reading this:
https://www.ramforum.com/threads/lift-basics-for-2nd-gen-4x4-rams.25153/

Your question is actually answered in the first post if you read it carefully.

At that point you should talk to Danny at Dodge Off Road. He has the pieces you need to build a proper suspension, sans the beefy axles.
Dodge Off Road has a horrible reputation, I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Dodge Off Road has a horrible reputation, I wouldn't recommend them to anybody.

Danny's pretty opinionated, but he should be. He was one of the first to go really big with a 2nd gen.

BTW I have read the complaints on the Better Business Bureau site. He's definitely having some issues getting stuff out for certain clients. Also Pirate 4x4 and at least one diesel forum. I'm guessing he's having serious growing pains. Dam shame too.

Some of the complaints are for custom work, and shipping to Canada, which is almost a lost cause to begin with. Since I deal 3rd hand with shipping, freight, and customs, I know what a pain it can be. It's easier and faster to get and send stuff with Hong Kong and China than Canada.

BTW I'm NOT defending the guy. His business has serious issues and he expects to survive he'll need to get his stuff together, or pull back his market.

The problem is the OP will not find quality parts to go bigger and proper.

Lastly, while 3rd gen and 2nd gen 2500's share a similar suspension, telling someone who has a 2nd gen, and likely a 1500 that he can do something you can is also bad advice. If you had a 2nd gen and were running 40's with a 5 inch lift you didn't off road much because you would have fender damage on seriously rough terrain. It'd be an ok street setup or mudder.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Last edited:

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Danny's pretty opinionated, but he should be. He was one of the first to go really big with a 2nd gen.

BTW I have read the complaints on the Better Business Bureau site. He's definitely having some issues getting stuff out for certain clients. Also Pirate 4x4 and at least one diesel forum. I'm guessing he's having serious growing pains. Dam shame too.

Some of the complaints are for custom work, and shipping to Canada, which is almost a lost cause to begin with. Since I deal 3rd hand with shipping, freight, and customs, I know what a pain it can be. It's easier and faster to get and send stuff with Hong Kong and China than Canada.

BTW I'm NOT defending the guy. His business has serious issues and he expects to survive he'll need to get his stuff together, or pull back his market.

The problem is the OP will not find quality parts to go bigger and proper.

Lastly, while 3rd gen and 2nd gen 2500's share a similar suspension, telling someone who has a 2nd gen, and likely a 1500 that he can do something you can is also bad advice. If you had a 2nd gen and were running 40's with a 5 inch lift you didn't off road much because you would have fender damage on seriously rough terrain. It'd be an ok street setup or mudder.

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Actually I do have a second gen (01 2500). And am running 40s on a 5in lift. I actually rock crawl with it and hit the mud holes no damage what so ever. Does rub at full lock. Also has a 16.5K Warn Winch and 5.35 gears with lockers.

Now the problem with Dodge Off Road. The guy is literally the biggest rip off. 8k for a lift? Give me a break. My company (we aren't big) can make you a custom lift kit that will yield at least 15" of suspension travel for under 3k. He's overpriced, an ******* who hates vets (at least that's what he told me when I called), can't make quality parts, and can't ship. Now please don't think in writing this being rude, I'm writing this as calm as can be. I don't want the OP to get screwed over

DodgeTx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins, 5.2l v8
Easy to get distracted on things we have had happen to us, lets keep it to the OP, if you are a vendor I'm certain dodge forum would love to have you advertise on the site.

For OP, I wouldnt stack the coil spacer up top, but alot of people didn't agree with how I lifted my truck either.

Personally I would try for a Body lift at least 3 inch, but to each his own. I ran 35s with no lift, it worked but rubbed at any turn, and bumped over any bump, I ran coil spacer on from 3.5 inch and 4.75 inch lift block in back it worked great for me, didnt rock crawl, drove mostly on street and went mudding during work when I found somewhere that looked fun! I also ran a self loader tow unit on this truck with that setup for a few months during the startup of my tow company.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Yep...DOR's problems aside...

My tires don't rub...period. Between bump stop tuning and adjustable steering stops, they don't. Rubbing of any sort is failure
That's why the OP can't run a spacer on a 5 inch short arm lift.

I would avoid body lifts like the plague. Putting your house on stilts after building it on top of hill isn't a great idea. You can do it but...

Moparfanatic21...off topic
I want a front long arm kit. If you offer something better and cheaper than the competitor my cash may await you.

If not...

Last edited:

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep...DOR's problems aside...

My tires don't rub...period. Between bump stop tuning and adjustable steering stops, they don't. Rubbing of any sort is failure
That's why the OP can't run a spacer on a 5 inch short arm lift.

I would avoid body lifts like the plague. Putting your house on stilts after building it on top of hill isn't a great idea. You can do it but...

Moparfanatic21...off topic
I want a front long arm kit. If you offer something better and cheaper than the competitor my cash may await you.

If not...
We make a long arm setup, you can get either all 4 as long arms or just the bottom 2 like BDS. We automatically make a bend in them to fit bigger tires. Powder coated or painted ant basic color of your choice. For $545-4 LA or $320-2LA. All DOM tubing, heim joints, and all the parts come from the USA. I recommend bolting them in place then welding them

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
We make a long arm setup, you can get either all 4 as long arms or just the bottom 2 like BDS. We automatically make a bend in them to fit bigger tires. Powder coated or painted ant basic color of your choice. For $545-4 LA or $320-2LA. All DOM tubing, heim joints, and all the parts come from the USA. I recommend bolting them in place then welding them

I must've missed it. Is there a link?

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I must've missed it. Is there a link?
No link as we are in the process of making a new website we usually just sold locally. Plus lifetime warranty until the vehicle dies (not just the original person who bought it). We also have a true 4 link kit so you can then eliminate the panhard bar

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
That's nice, but oh so useless, unless you're local...

Have your people call me people, we'll do lunch! :Bye:

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Well most of our business is local as when we had a website it only made up 10% of our sales. Most of my business is designing custom lifts for vehicles and I can't do that on the web :)

Moparfanatic21

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Well most of our business is local as when we had a website it only made up 10% of our sales. Most of my business is designing custom lifts for vehicles and I can't do that on the web :)