Help with new shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Marcusky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys. I am new and need help with shocks. 2wd with 2.5 in puck spacers on the front. I am replacing the front and rear shocks. I am a teacher and do not have a ton to spend. Since I put the 2.5 in spacers on it, do I need a shock that is better suited for it, or do I just put on regular ones? Thanks for the help, y'all.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You don't NEED longer shocks for the front, but you SHOULD put longer shocks on any vehicle that is lifted. You've been running stock shocks with no issues, correct?

Any of the name brand shocks will work, like KYB or Monroe. I don't think you really need a premium shock like a Bilstein, but I'm sure people here will recommend them anyways.

If you can find a set of lightly used stock shocks for sale around you, that would be the cheapest way to go. However, the shocks for the front 2wd are different than front 4wd (shock vs strut), so be mindful of that. Rears are the same.

OP
OP
C

Chris Marcusky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the quick reply. I was looking at the KYB. Since there is the 2.5 lift on the front because of the spacers, I was wondering what kind of longer ones to get off of Rockauto. I am not sure which ones to get. Any recommendations? I have had no problems with the shocks. Just noticing the rough ride all around because of the 110k on the original shocks.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Spacers will make the ride rough, it binds your spring rate, I wonder if you can make leveling bilsteins work on a 2wd, if you can that would be best result for a leveled truck. If you can't make those work, I'd look at some monroe gas adjust type thing, I prefer kyb, rancho, bill HD, but all of those will be rough, especially with spacers.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the quick reply. I was looking at the KYB. Since there is the 2.5 lift on the front because of the spacers, I was wondering what kind of longer ones to get off of Rockauto. I am not sure which ones to get. Any recommendations? I have had no problems with the shocks. Just noticing the rough ride all around because of the 110k on the original shocks.

I just put the KYB Excel-G on my stock 2015 2wd @ 65k miles and noticed an improvement in the ride. I was able to do the entire truck for about $150.

You can buy longer shocks for just the front, but they are notably more expensive. Bilsteins are about twice the price of a comparable stock replacement. It looks like Rancho also makes longer shocks. Look at the "Adjustable" area on RockAuto under shock absorbers and you will see them there. I've heard good and bad things about both, just do some research. Again, I don't think you really need them.

co-pilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think you will be happy if you spend the time to find 2" longer shocks

I've had several 2wd leveled trucks and you need more travel or it will be Rough ride

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
To anyone that will listen: Do not put pucks in the front of your 1500. I did. I took some bad advice from a goober who knew even less than I about such things. My shocks blew out, not long after the Pucks.

If you can't afford Bilsteins, deliver pizza until you can. If that's not an option, buy new shocks, and throw the pucks away.

I did Bilsteins, several years ago, on all 4 corners. I've been very pleased ever since. First Class is never a mistake.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
longer shocks are your best bet or get shock extenders and by stock replacement shocks. Look up maxtrac. They sell kits for your 2wd

To anyone that will listen: Do not put pucks in the front of your 1500. I did. I took some bad advice from a goober who knew even less than I about such things. My shocks blew out, not long after the Pucks.

If you can't afford Bilsteins, deliver pizza until you can. If that's not an option, buy new shocks, and throw the pucks away.

I did Bilsteins, several years ago, on all 4 corners. I've been very pleased ever since. First Class is never a mistake.
2wd is different than 4wd. Read everything before posting.

Last edited:

Fishstickz

Reaction score
Ram Year
'06, '16
Engine
3.7, 5.7 Hemi
I did a 1.5” daystar puck spacer lift on my ‘06 and still decided to play it safe with some longer front shocks. I found some rough country shocks that were designed for up to 2.5” lift. RC seems to be hit-or-miss around here, but I didn’t have any noticeable change in ride quality from stock. Of course I have a 3rd gen short wheelbase, so even my stock ride is most likely MUCH rougher than yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't care if it's 2WD or 4. I will not recommend pucks to anyone but a Hockey player.

If you've had good luck with pucks, I'm happy for ya.

Bilsteins. Because first class is never a mistake.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't care if it's 2WD or 4. I will not recommend pucks to anyone but a Hockey player.

If you've had good luck with pucks, I'm happy for ya.

Bilsteins. Because first class is never a mistake.
I don’t recommend pucks either. I use bilsteins in combination with eibach lift springs in my truck. The 2wd do not use struts though. They use a separate spring and shock. They also do not have to worry about cv bind. However 2wd best bet is lifted spindles or taller springs. I generally tell people to look up maxtrac for 2wd lifts.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a 2wd I can't imagine any problem with a spacer lift in front as long as it's only an inch or two (net lift) ... again on the 2wd's the spring is not on a strut, there's no difference between a front spring spacer and a rear spring spacer it just relocates the surface from which the spring is pushing. Same spring rate, same range of motion, same everything except for ride height.