Helwig front sway bar on 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Will they Bolt on?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Pretty sure a few people have them on their trucks.
I have one on the rear and it made a noticeable difference over the stock one in how the truck handles.

I was going to do the front but dont wont to hamper the offroad capability to much.
But who knows after I put my 35s on I might change my mind.

OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm definitely getting the rears too. I know that the front makes less of a difference but I'm getting a good deal on both (used) and want to make sure it will actually Bolt on.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
OP
OP
Ramitiner

Ramitiner

U.S. ARMY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll be tempted by the Hellwig products for sure me thinks. I did a front and rear Hotchkis install on my 03 SLT and wow..what a differenace. Although I'm running the 4x4 now I'm not an off road guy...but I do love to get around a corner. Love blowing by sporty type cars on two lane sweepers....taking them on the inside. I'm curious also if a beefy unit could be fit to the front end. Funny..my 03 QC was devoid of a rear bar..body roll deluxe while it was stock.

Edit: I sent out some mail to Hellwigs tech department here's their reply regarding the stock sway bar on my 2018 RAM 4x4:

"For that truck we only do a rear bar part# 7709 for the 4x4 the front bar is big so we don’t do one

Thank you"

T.

Last edited:

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hellwing offer the 7/8" (#7709) rear sway bar which may or may not be a size up from OEM unit. My current rear bar measure at approx .862 inches about 22mm's. On my 03 SLT I had a Hotchkis 1" bar in the rear which worked great. Doesn't look like Hotchkis supply anything for the late model RAMs according to their web site. I have mail out to them to enquire. Hellwig do a 1 1/8" and a 1 1/4" rear bar for the 2500 chassis,...and the pictures all appear to be of the same shape as the 1500 bar they supply. I've asked if that 2500 (Hellwig #7738) unit will fit the 1500 chassis.

T.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I know they don't but can the one for the 2wd be put into the 4wd model? I'm guessing not as it would be marketed for it

You'd have to do a lot of modifying to make the 2wd bar fit,it's been tried.You'd have to heat /bend and then move the endlink holes on the bar itself,and unless you're set-up to re-heat treat the bar,all you'd have is a piece of mush. I question Hellwigs version of a heavy duty front bar on the 4X4's,the factory bar is hollow and with endlinks/brackets etc,weigh's all of 14 lbs. You can use the rear sway bar off a 2500 on a 1500 if you make up a couple flat steel adapter plates.The 2500's bar might even be a better bar then the hellwig bar,as it's 1" compared to Hellwigs 7/8".

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hellwig state that “2500 rear 1 1/8 or 1 1/4” bar will not fit the 1500 rear location. I’ve got more mail out to Hotchkis asking if they make a 1” unit for the 1500. They show no listing for one.

T.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hotchkis Sport Suspension Inc. info update: "We do not make anything for the late model RAM's at the moment but hope to develop some systems in the future. Development and testing is required. " This was via a phone call (decide not to wait on the e-mail) So...if I go and most likely I will, it will be the Hellwig 7709 bar but I may add the 7961 end link kit because this kit will bring Heavy Duty end links into the mix with polyurethane bushings at both ends. These end links are also length adjustable...should I ever need it (probably not). Now having said all that,..the one stop shopping idea may be to go with the Hellwig #7883 which I believe (must confirm this) include the 7961 adjustable length end link kit. That will save (depending on vendor) about $40-$50.00.

T.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Orders in.: I went with the Hellwig 7883 which gives their HD end links,...but it's not the 7961 link kit, it's the 7962 kit which give you a span of adjustment from 11" to 14" inches in length. I measured the stock center to center OEM end links yesterday and they are approx. 11" or a bit more in span center to center. I think I'll be fine with what I ordered. At any rate I'll report back should the unwashed masses be interested. One thing I do like with the 7962 end link kit..it appears via Hellwigs photos of the parts, that the adjustable link section will screw all the way into the black portion of the link which should leave nothing exposed to the elements. Pictures of the 7961 kit (8" to 11" of span adjustment) show a shoulder bolt type install with an exposed non-threaded section of the adjustable link. Works fine I'm sure, but I'll like the solid look for my install. Couple of google sourced pictures of the link kits attached.
Prices: The7709 bar (no link kit) I found at an average price of $248.00usd. The 7883 bar (includes the 11" to 14" end links) $281.00usd. The same vendor wanted $89.95usd for the stand-a-lone 7961 link kit. The 7962 link kit they shows as $99.95usd

T.

2206_1_lg.jpg

hel-7962_xl.jpg

Last edited:

Longhorn1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Longhorn
Engine
Cummins SO
Hellwing offer the 7/8" (#7709) rear sway bar which may or may not be a size up from OEM unit. My current rear bar measure at approx .862 inches about 22mm's.
T.

Maybe you already know this, the stock bar is hollow and the Hellwig #7709 is solid. That is where the additional stiffness comes from.

Edit: It also has three end link locations to adjust stiffness. I have mine in the stiffest setting.

Last edited:

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I know they don't but can the one for the 2wd be put into the 4wd model? I'm guessing not as it would be marketed for it

To the best of my knowledge, the front Helwig swaybar for the 4x2’s were created to give the same amount of stiffness as the factory 4x4 swaybars. In short, you wouldn’t gain anything by trying to modify the Helwig front 4x2 bar to your 4x4.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe you already know this, the stock bar is hollow and the Hellwig #7709 is solid. That is where the additional stiffness comes from.

Yep knew that going in LH..but just liked the idea of that 1" Hotchkis **** out back that I had on the SLT. I'll play with the install holes and will nodoubt find I like the Hellwig just fine.

T.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hellwig state that “2500 rear 1 1/8 or 1 1/4” bar will not fit the 1500 rear location. I’ve got more mail out to Hotchkis asking if they make a 1” unit for the 1500. They show no listing for one.

T.

Not sure about Hellwigs 2500 rear bar,but you can easily adapt the stock 2500's rear swaybar to the 1500.You need "2" flat steel plates that bolt to the 1500's diff mounts,and move the mount holes over slightly to fit the 2500 bar's brackets.There's a few trucks running around with salvage yard 2500 rear swaybars on the back of their 1500's.It's usually a cheaper option then the Hellwig bar for the guys who don't want to pony up for the more pricey Hellwig bar.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wild. That’s very interesting. I guess the similar shape of the rear bars is what made me ponder if the Hellwig 2500 rear bar could be fit. Thanks for the info.

T.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wild. That’s very interesting. I guess the similar shape of the rear bars is what made me ponder if the Hellwig 2500 rear bar could be fit. Thanks for the info.

T.

My buddy over in Saskatoon has a 2500 bar on his 2015 R/T.All he had to do was make a couple flat plates to bolt it onto his 1500.He's not on here,but if you go onto Alberta Regular Cabs or High Performance Rams on facebook and tag Steven Cooper,he'll probably post some pic's of the bar and plates for you.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I might just do that Wild, thank you. I was looking at the install instruction pdf files from Hellwig. The 2500 uses a axle clamp that moves the mount points inboard a way from the shock mount locations as used on the 1500. Now I'm guessing that the 2500 is running a larger axle (3/4 ton rating?) but you might simply source a mounting clamp unit that fits the 1500's 1/2 ton axle housing (Dana 44?) and bring it to mount the bigger 1-1/8 bar, without a custom plate being required. Of course it's a mute point now that the 7883 unit is in bound. But still, this stuff makes me curious.

T.

Last edited:

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked up my Hellwig 7883 rear sway bar kit today. Pulled the end link kit parts out of the hardware box just to check what I already (hoped) knew. The 7883 kit which would normally be fit to a lifted truck requiring the longer end links will work fine in a stock height install if you should wish to replace or upgrade your end links at a bit of a savings. I did a rough fit up (no bushings installed) and the length is good. FWIW.

T.

86A4799E-397D-4201-9B8D-842557DC8A59.jpeg

859B9F52-9427-44C3-B10A-B90EACE8492D.jpeg

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
With a half assed weather window here in the "Great White North" (Southwestern Ontario) I took a chance between rain and mist action and installed the Hellwig #7883 kit to my 2018 RAM Crew Cab 5.7 4x4 (stock ride height). Some pictures to share for those that care to view and a couple comments.

This kit came with the Hellwig end links as I noted above. There assembly is easy to a degree but here are a tip or two if you should go this route.
a) I dosed all the connective threads liberally with "Never Seize" thread compound. I did this to stave off any corrosion troubles that might present in the future. Having said that I do not expect that I will be raising the truck (I'm more of a lowered truck kinda guy) anytime soon. But still I like the idea that all the parts should be protected from seizing.

b) The poly bushings are a sort of fig 8 shape in cross section and like wise the end link loops are "pinched" in the middle of there loop ends which produces sort of a self-centering action when you get the bushings installed. As per the instruction I lubed up the bushings (axle grease was my choice) and then used a piece of 2x2 board about six inches long to act as my driver to push the poly bushings into the end link loop holes. Set the bushing on the loop, place the 2x2 cross wise on top of the bushing, then simply lean your body weight onto the board and the bushings slips into place. You do meet with resistance that a simply hand palm press action will not (at least not my hand) give up enough force to push the bushings in. This in part might be because I was working in a lower ambient temperature situation of 11C perhaps?

c) Like wise the steel bushing that fit inside the poly bushings: You lube up the steel inserts and then must push them into the poly bushings you just installed to the end links. That fig 8 cross section of the poly bushing works against you here again. A simply palm press of the hand will not cut it..at least not for me. I hit the tool box and pulled out my trusty 6" C-clamp unit. With this and that same bit of 2x2 piece of wood (as a backing plate) I pushed the steel bushings into the poly bushing, no fuss no muss.

d) Stock sway bar removal: I only un-bolted 6 fasteners to remove the stock bar and end links. Upper end link mounts at the chassis x2, and right and left sway bar pivot bushing "U" clamp bolts x2 for each side. The bar stayed in place with all the bolts removed and then a gentle tug released it in controlled fashion with no trouble.

e) Sway Bar install: I assembled the Hellwig bar on the bench, end links and everything, in very loose fashion and then simply placed it under the truck (the Hellwig box when opened up to it's max area presents a nice pad to work off under the truck btw so you can slide the bar around without damage) slid it toward the axle, raised one end at the "U" clamp area aligning one "U" clamp mounting hole, slipped in a bolt, then moved to the opposite side and did the same. With one bolt in each "U" clamp the other two bolts followed and the I took most of the slack out of the threads, but did not torque the down as yet. Then rotate the end links up and install fasteners on both side. The end link hardware provided with the kit has castle-ated nuts which act a thread locking devices. You will need to muscle the nuts on for a fair distance against some resistance before things snug up and align. No big deal but it just takes a bit of time. Ha, one item of note: Ensure you have the end links installed correctly with the locking nut on the top side/end nearest the chassis mount. It may make no real difference but I think it might help keep the adjuster nut out of the weather and road grime and such.

f) Hellwig directions show that they install the end links in a "outside the OEM top bracket" (closer to the wheels and tires) fashion and likewise the lower end of the link goes on the "outside" of the sway bar mounting hole location (of which there are three holes). I test fit everything and then installed the end links exactly as per the stock OEM sway bar install with everything on the "inside" of the mounting points (away from the wheels and tires). Going the "outside route" it looked to me that the upper mounts might sorta get fouled by the inner fenders perhaps. I torqued everything down to my usual "Two grunts and a groan" torque spec and then went for a test ride. Hellwig do not provide a torque spec in their instructions. I'll search the OEM numbers up and then re-torque to those numbers later. Btw, I re-used the OEM "U" clamp mounting bolts rather then go with the Hellwig socket head bolts. I do like the look of a socket head bolt install, but I don't think they work to advantage in winter road salt conditions over time and miles. The OEM bolts work fine with the Hellwig "U" clamps. Hellwig also provide two alum. centering locator clamps that you install on the inside of the "U" clamp locations to ensure the sway bar does not move off center during use. In my non-lift install I'm not so sure they are required. I'm going to put some miles on and let things self-adjust (find it's own center) and then maybe install them later.

Test ride results: I went with the stiffest setting (closes hole to the axle) and I guess I do notice that there is a firmer tighter feel to the suspension to a degree. There is one semi high speed sweeper ramp that I take regularly and the truck tracked through this with fine form. I'm not sure my "seat of the pants" chassis dyno is all that sensitive so my comments are rather subjective. I think there is some improvement and no major discomfort to the ride. When I installed the Hotchkis kit to my 03 SLT, which did not have a factory rear sway bar, the effect was both immediate and monumental in the change in the chassis performance. That may be why I do not notice such a big change in the new RAM as it already had a rear bar.

T.

657FEE06-31FE-413E-8270-DF9B5A12961C.jpeg

0C46CEF8-B0F7-4CBA-BDFE-93CACE7D8254.jpeg

A52D7930-E9EC-41BA-BCFA-A992E24894E6.jpeg

0334117F-F0F4-449C-AD8B-01A4B00DC03D.jpeg

Last edited: