Hemi 5.7 Possible Valve Train Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Emerica1232

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
hello all, new to forum, hope i’m posting this correctly! recently purchased a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 5.7 156k miles

Truck had misfire originally, and was sent out for cam/lifters to be replaced. truck seemed okay at first but threw a CEL for p1414 after for MSD solenoid fault cylinder 4. Truck started running horribly, but would clear up after i cleared CEL. i was able to manually bypass MDS each time i put truck in drive and it is fine if i do that(only done it a couple times, i’ve only had truck for a few weeks, only put about 150 miles on it since purchasing). One day when starting truck it started ticking pretty badly, from driver side of motor. I’ve pulled valve cover off of driver said, just wondering what i should look for at this point with valve cover off. Is it safe to start truck with valve cover off so i can watch valve train? Praying it’s not lifter issue again. The rocker arm assembly has quite a bit of side to side play on intake rocker shaft closest to front of engine driver side(where ticking seemed to be coming from). any advice on diagnosing this further would be greatly appreciated! i’ll also attach a video below of play in rocker assembly when i get the chance

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Have you taken it back to where you purchased it or if it was a private sale take it back to the shop that did the cam & lifters? That work should have a warranty.

OP
OP
E

Emerica1232

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
thank you for replies! no warranty from dealership on this vehicle unfortunately, will try to crank motor sometime tomorrow with fuel pump relay out and valve cover off to inspect everything and report back on this! do you have a ticking noise that increased with RPM’s as well Lyle?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
thank you for replies! no warranty from dealership on this vehicle unfortunately, will try to crank motor sometime tomorrow with fuel pump relay out and valve cover off to inspect everything and report back on this! do you have a ticking noise that increased with RPM’s as well Lyle?
Pull 1 plug from each cylinder while you're at it,and you should be able to manually turn the engine over with a socket and rachet on the crank bolt,be a good time to do a compression test to.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I swapped cams and heard the tick as it was getting louder and louder. I thought it was a sized lifter (just had those changed) but didn’t think so. My
Buddy had it at his garage and called me back the following day. Said the rocker arms needed replacement on driver’s side. Took care of the noise! I’ll throw up a vid of the sound (horrible to listen too).