HEMI 6.4 3500 torque dyno

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swisspete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am in the process of buying a truck and would like to get the 2023 3500 DRW 6.4 HEMI, to carry a truck camper at 5,000lbs fully loaded. Am wondering if it will be enough. Current setup is a F350 SRW 6.2 EFI 2017 6 speed with a 3,000lbs payload and it's not great. I would like to know if the latest HEMI with 8 speed will do better and manage the higher load.

I cannot find the HEMI dyno online, I get older versions and even then, see several versions of it. I am not an engine expert either. Any info would be appreciated, and also if any of you have experience with this setup (carrying vs towing) !

GRKN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Power is not your primary concern, payload is what you need to worry about. If your buying off the lot there’s a sticker in the driver door jam that will tell you your payload, but keep in mind passengers and other cargo in the cab have to be subtracted first

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
No way I'd get a dually and a big heavy camper like that with a gas engine in it. You will be disappointed. Not only that but pretty sure they have limited what trim levels you can get a hemi in a 3500 as well. (don't go by what the Ram web site says)

But according to Ram it's 410HP, 428lbft of torque.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What you asked will work well.

I have the SRW 3500 Hemi and I have had a couple of payloads with 4K (rock slabs on crate) and it didn't make a difference. I could tell it was there but driving my way of "3500 Slow-Ride" it made no difference. The truck didn't even squat...maybe, a .25 inch or less. My payload is less than a dually, but what I'm commenting on is the way it drove, and its fuel economy (got -1 mpg of normal city driving with lots of stops and I used tow mode for engine braking). Also, 4K is right at my truck's max payload. Pretty sure, the 6.4 has its torque available from 1K rpm up - it's a big block. Mine didn't rev or go higher in the RPMs than normal, and it always shifted to 7 or 8th gear. I was paranoid or expecting something, but my RAM said "we're good" and worked flawlessly.

I got the HEMI for reliability, current diesel issues, current fuel costs, price of engines to returns, and staying under 26K GVWR. You will also have a higher payload without a diesel. Payload of the '22 DRW 3500 HEMI was north of 7K - configurations and options take away from payload. However, you will never be too close to its max PL with 5K.

***I agree it was weird for my truck to talk to me, but let's not get into that.***

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I'm not sure about payload but my ram 1500with the 5.7 usto regularly tow a 12500lb trailer without any issues except planning gas stops when going through the mountains. I could pull 110km on the hills no problem so I'm gonna say you should. Have zero problems with your camper except for matching payload.
The 6.4 is torquey and far better than any Ford gasser on the market I can promise that, you won't be disappointed.

For everyone that wants to comment I am aware... yes the truck was passed its limits, yes I know it's not "safe" no I don't care your comments and no the truck isn't used for that anymore.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The HD Ram with a 6.4 will be very sufficient. Assumption is that your 5k pound trailer puts approximately 1k or less weight into your tow vehicle. For comparison, my 2500 6.4 has a payload capacity of 3k pounds so my truck would easily tow that. I like the idea of a dually to spread the load out to the road and provide a bit more stability to towing but the downside is extra cost for tires and a loss of about 200 pounds of payload.

As mentioned above, be aware of your payload capacity sticker on the door jamb and know that does not include aftermarket add-ons such as bed covers, bumper guards, hitches, etc. On a 3500, you shouldn't have a problem with a drw gasser but on 2500s, if I got the Power Wagon package my payload capacity would have been cut in half and even your intended trailer could have put me over if I had the whole family and their gear along.

Good luck

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think he is saying an in bed camper since he says "to carry a truck camper at 5,000lbs fully loaded."

I might be wrong but I would not use the term carry if I was towing, and certainly wouldn't need to look at a dually 3500.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ahhhhh....

Missed that at the beginning but had finished with towing. Truck should still handle the payload, but checking the number inside the door jamb will certify that. However, OP still needs to be very aware of gear and people carried and the weight that adds, recommend weighing it all once fully loaded to ensure weight is correct and distributed properly, don't want too much on the back and definitely not like the guy who carried a bike on the back of his truck camper.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
That 6.4 with the 8 speed will have more power than your current 6.2 with the 6 speed. Not going to be a drastic difference but an improvement.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcquinn