Hemi being discontinuted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I read on TTAC that the Hemi will be dropped after 2023. New emission standards are leading Stellantis to drop them. My understanding is that a twin turbo V-6 world engine is the replacement.

JerryETX

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
Hemi 6.4- 3:73- 6 Speed
It's inevitable. It's the best way for Ram to keep up with the horsepower and torque from those TT 6's. Shoot Ford's ecoboost has a lot more torque than it's 6.2 v8 3/4 ton counterpart.

HAL9001

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mmmm…. think the future is electric not in turbos
The far future for RAM is electric, the near future is full hybrids as evidenced by Ford's new 3.5L PowerBoost which combines their turbo V6 with an electric motor. 430 HP with 570 lb.-ft. torque. 24 MPG. 12,700 lbs towing, 2,120 lbs payload. Nice numbers.

If RAM came out with that, I would accept it over a Hemi V-8, provided the price was right.

Full electric has a way to go with full-sized trucks before all the right boxes are checked. Probably 5-8+ years out for RAM unless there is some big technological breakthrough. Others will get there first such as Rivian and maybe Tesla.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Twin turbo means no thanks for me if I can avoid it. As awesome as something like an Ecoboost F150 is power wise, Lawd help you if you need major repairs down the road. You think a Hemi cam/lifter job is expensive? Plus they don't get better fuel economy than a hemi.

My 2019 classic w/ hemi, gives me better fuel economy than the guys I work with, with ecoboosts.

Last edited:

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
This engine has been coming since 2017

The 6.2l Hellcat was to be the last hoorah for the Hemi...that was many years ago too.

I would not get too worried

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
No hybrid for me. You get the worst of dual powertrains to maintain and fix. Like having two houses hundreds of miles away. One powertrain is plenty enough to maintain and fix.

It seems the small displacement turbo engine is the new black. I had my money on large displacement & cylinder cutout, with Ram's variant being Hemi MDS. Not sure the MDS added much fuel economy, and certainly hasn't been worth the added expense given the poor lubrication design and subsequent failures.

Remember though, Ford had plenty of problems with a small engine highly boosted. This engine architecture has been used a long time for racing (and blowers), but that application is not durable. Consumer engines need to be durable.

I wish I could have a I4 turbo diesel without all the damn exhaust aftertreatment. That would have been Cummins ISB4.5 with counterbalancers. Perfect engine. We sold a ton of those in gensets.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Discussed in this thread, but there's a lot to wade through: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/is-it-time-5-7-to-get-dropped.184146/page-29#post-2593330

I would point out that this motor has been just around the corner for years and never materalizes, as well as:

Naturally, our first instinct was to reach out to Dodge, with a spokesperson telling CarScoops the following:

“[We haven’t] spoken to any of those outlets. The Dodge Challenger and Dodge Charger vehicle platforms as you know them today, along with the Hellcat powertrain, will continue production through 2023. In 2024, Dodge will transition to new platforms, new electrified muscle cars (the next generation of that platform will be a BEV, which will be shown in concept-car form Q1 or Q2 2022). We will release additional details in regard to our future Dodge product plans over the next 24 months.”

zogg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram Express Quad Cab
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve actually had both the hemi and the ecoboost. My 2011 Hemi was a great vehicle but I did trade for a 2.7 twin turbo ecoboost. I kept it a year. I had absolutely no problems with it but I was disappointed in the 19 mpg since I was told it would do much better. Then I heard the horror stories about them grenading at 50,000 miles plus I wasn’t impressed with the fords ride. The transmission would occasionally slam into gear and the dealer said that was pretty normal. Ugh.

In October I traded back to a 2019 Ram classic and the ride, the smoothness of the drive train etc made it a good move for me.

I did look at a couple new body Rams, but they all were Etorque…I did not want that either.

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
No hybrid for me. You get the worst of dual powertrains to maintain and fix. Like having two houses hundreds of miles away. One powertrain is plenty enough to maintain and fix.

It seems the small displacement turbo engine is the new black. I had my money on large displacement & cylinder cutout, with Ram's variant being Hemi MDS. Not sure the MDS added much fuel economy, and certainly hasn't been worth the added expense given the poor lubrication design and subsequent failures.

Remember though, Ford had plenty of problems with a small engine highly boosted. This engine architecture has been used a long time for racing (and blowers), but that application is not durable. Consumer engines need to be durable.

I wish I could have a I4 turbo diesel without all the damn exhaust aftertreatment. That would have been Cummins ISB4.5 with counterbalancers. Perfect engine. We sold a ton of those in gensets.

To me, the worst design for a hybrid has to be awarded to Ram with E-torque. Using a serpentine belt to spin the motor to propel the truck seems like a half assed attempt by FCA at the time to say "Look at us, we are hybrid too!!"

Just my worthless 2ct opinion, we return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In October I traded back to a 2019 Ram classic and the ride, the smoothness of the drive train etc made it a good move for me.

I did look at a couple new body Rams, but they all were Etorque…I did not want that either.

I too got rid of my Ecoboost in Sep 2019 the buck board ride and slam happy 10 speed, I purchased a 2019 1500 Laramie non etorque and it was the best decision I've ever made.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
This motor has been coming since 2017

The 6.2l Hellcat was to be the last hoorah for the Hemi...that was many years ago too.

I would not get too worried

This is the type of thing I expected from a takeover by Fiat and Peugeot....it ain't gonna be good.

"While FCA also has the GME-T4 turbocharged inline-four, which debuted in the 2016 Alfa Romeo Guilia and has since spread to the Alfa Romeo Stelvio, Jeep Wrangler, Jeep Cherokee and Chinese Market Jeep Grand Commander"

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like I said in the other thread about this, the hybrid (and eventually full electric) is the future at this time. Without a doubt, Chrysler is maneuvering its marketing and future manufacturing to compete with the other brands. It would be suicidal, marketing-wise, if they stood on the sidewalk while all the other brands hopped on the bandwagon of electric vehicles.

I'm not fully convinced that electric vehicles (car/truck) are the way of the future, but that's the direction we are going. The charging infrastructure and battery design is still not completely ready.

The 6-cylinders are going to be the transition. I don't expect them to be around for very long IF the electric 'trend' starts rolling well.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
Koons Ford sent out a text to all who had Lightning reservations to order. (apparently you had to reserve your spot so you could order one when ready). To be one of the first 25 to order, you had to put down a $5K non-refundable deposit, then pay $30k above MSRP). 26 and later had to pay $10K above.

And some dealers like Chapman are offering Lightning orders at 3% under invoice...

I heard a rumor from a Ram salesman that 2024 the Ram was going to go all electric. How true? I dunno..

For me, most I'll go is a hybrid like Fords Powerboost where the electric is part of the transmission, not some wimpy serpentine belt attached to the crankshaft