Hemi carnage - All 8 intake valves bent after cam swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

dixiebandit69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've already got a line on a used, low mile engine.
I hate to do this, but I can't have the truck down for the week or two (or more...) that it will take for a machine shop to get done with the shortblock.

I will report back here with results on the measurements of the cam journals, or any other things I find.
Thank you all for your input.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I've already got a line on a used, low mile engine.
I hate to do this, but I can't have the truck down for the week or two (or more...) that it will take for a machine shop to get done with the shortblock.

I will report back here with results on the measurements of the cam journals, or any other things I find.
Thank you all for your input.

Machine shop gets that line hone ready on the spare engine.

RAM BLKOUT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ouch....well whatever happened that’s a damn gut punch. I almost did the install on my cam swap from Jay but change my mind at the last minute. Took a lot of **** for what I paid to have it done too. This post makes me glad I did though. Not sayin you f’d up the install, but is some **** that would happen to me.....

Frisk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just speculating here .....What about the possibility of bumping the cam bearing backwards out of position during the installation of the new cam? The new cam runs OK with the assemble lube but then seizes up due to lack of oil and that shears off the dowel pin on the cam phaser?

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
Not knowing how many miles and years your sprockets, chain, tensioner, and guide have on them, did you replace those, too? I sure would have even though they looked good mainly because I would be in there already. A bad or going-bad spring in the tensioner could have allowed the chain to jump links. Especially, since you say it happened after stopping at an intersection. Acceleration RPMs=more torque on the chain. How do the teeth look on your sprockets?

Rule of good mechanic, changing a cam? Change the chain and sprockets

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
One more thought, I was talking to a buddy and he had an issue where the bolt hole in the cam was not bored deep enough, the bolt or the washer was swapped. The bolt bottomed out in the hole and torqued properly but the sprocket had play in it. Lucky he noticed before putting the engine back together and starting it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
One more thought, I was talking to a buddy and he had an issue where the bolt hole in the cam was not bored deep enough, the bolt or the washer was swapped. The bolt bottomed out in the hole and torqued properly but the sprocket had play in it. Lucky he noticed before putting the engine back together and starting it.

He says it looks like it spun a cam bearing.

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
That's something a good machine shop will do is always replace at least the main cam bearing. They SHOULD ask for your cam to fit it. In my recent rebuild the shop said they've seen a lot of variability in cam journal sizes between manufacturers.