Hemi crapped out, recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Sciorrotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My 2004 dodge ram 4 x 4 5.7 L hemi with 208,000 miles finally crapped out.

It looks like I’m going to need a new motor. I plan on keeping the truck for years and years. So, I’m looking at a remanufactured engine. Which company has a remanufactured this motor in the best way to address the original issues?

I researched some but I need some input. Also, should I go back with the 5.7 or do I have another option on a bigger motor?

Feel free to private message me if you need to.

SAM

donovanp97

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Put a 6.4 Jasper into it! It’s modified to a higher standard to what the old 5.7 struggled to accomplish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Sam Sciorrotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Will my original transmission and other things swap over? Or, will there be additional costs?

Any other people have reman company suggestions? Some companies are good about saying what they do to correct problems from the manufacturers original design with changes incorporated into their current design and some don’t provide any information. For example, Jasper and Powertrain talk about it on their websites. Right now I have to wait until Monday to call some others such as ATK and LKQ. I couldn’t find anything about their motors on their websites.

One of the shops buy their motors through AutoZone which are Sparta/ATK engines. Another shop I’m considering use LKQ. The second one that uses LKQ said that their warranty is better than Jasper and that Jasper has been fighting warranties quite a bit lately. I’m not really sure if this is the case it’s just what he told me.

As I said before, if anybody has replaced their 5.7 L hemi I would like to know who you used for the manufacturer of the motor. Right now, it’s pretty confusing for me and I need to make a decision on Monday. I look forward to hearing from you.

SAM

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Put a 6.4 Jasper into it! It’s modified to a higher standard to what the old 5.7 struggled to accomplish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless Jasper has started building strokers (which I doubt, but feel free to prove me wrong), if it is an actual 6.4 it will be a remanned factory 6.4, which is a VVT/MDS engine and will not work in his truck.

Will my original transmission and other things swap over? Or, will there be additional costs?

Any other people have reman company suggestions? Some companies are good about saying what they do to correct problems from the manufacturers original design with changes incorporated into their current design and some don’t provide any information. For example, Jasper and Powertrain talk about it on their websites. Right now I have to wait until Monday to call some others such as ATK and LKQ. I couldn’t find anything about their motors on their websites.

One of the shops buy their motors through AutoZone which are Sparta/ATK engines. Another shop I’m considering use LKQ. The second one that uses LKQ said that their warranty is better than Jasper and that Jasper has been fighting warranties quite a bit lately. I’m not really sure if this is the case it’s just what he told me.

As I said before, if anybody has replaced their 5.7 L hemi I would like to know who you used for the manufacturer of the motor. Right now, it’s pretty confusing for me and I need to make a decision on Monday. I look forward to hearing from you.

SAM

I have heard mixed reviews about Jasper, but I have heard nothing good about ATK (heard but no personal experience). Last I knew LKQ is strictly salvage. If it were me just trying to get it back on the road I'd look for the lowest mileage running engine (or a known good one) I could find and drop it in.

OP
OP
S

Sam Sciorrotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What years will fit in the truck as far as a drop in without any changes?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
You can use the 03-06. None of these has vvt or mds and use a 32T tone ring. If you want bigger, there are various stroker motors available. Checkout the forum venders for options. The 545rfe doesn't handle power much over 450 but mostly depends on how you drive it. Keeping it simple is staying stock.

Guy lIPSKY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI etorque
Not sure why I have looked at LKQ also for an engine, but I do things like that staying stock and looking for a low mileage motor is the way to go , but I work on aircraft engines so what do I know , also less expensive to go this way another plus you would be up and running in a few days .

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m curious why a new motor instead of new truck?

14 year old truck means everything else is the same age and mileage. Suspension and seats and paint etc.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
What broke on your crapped out engine?

OP
OP
S

Sam Sciorrotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
0865D1EF-DB8A-4328-B999-D0BA699F600E.jpeg Good question. It is a truck I use for actually truck stuff. I tow things and haul things. I also bought it brand new and searched everywhere for the exact color and options I wanted. I still love the color. I also know what has been replaced and updated and can’t afford a payment of any decent truck right now. Lastly, if I were to buy something it would be a car for the economy.

The thing is I want it to last a number of years and I worry about a used engine dropping s valve vs a reman engine having bad workmanship. I am really torn up about it.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I understand wjat you are saying. I have an attachment for my 03 I bought new. First thing I would do is find out how bad it is hurt. Being a 04 it may very well ne a dropped valve. Will it turn over? Do you work on the truck yourself? Do you have a friend or a mechanic you can trust?

OP
OP
S

Sam Sciorrotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What broke on your crapped out engine?
Frankly they haven’t even tore into it. They are convinced it is the valve or one of the other known issues. They would have charged me to diagnose it but didn’t even want to bother with it or really just thought it was a waste of time. Here is a video of it trying to run. I can make another one if needed. I would just need to run to the shop.

OP
OP
S

Sam Sciorrotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I understand wjat you are saying. I have an attachment for my 03 I bought new. First thing I would do is find out how bad it is hurt. Being a 04 it may very well ne a dropped valve. Will it turn over? Do you work on the truck yourself? Do you have a friend or a mechanic you can trust?
I work on it but something this bad is beyond a water pump change or some other part swap. Can you tell anything from my video? Also what is the fix for the valve issue?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
My opinion is take it to a real mechanic.. if they don't even have the ability to diagnose the problem. You seriously don't want those folks working on your dodge. Hemi's have a way of intimidating the ignorant.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
The steps I would take is not run it anymore. If the valve actually drops into the cylinder it can take out the block. Pull the spark plugs looking for damaged plugs. This will identify the cylinder. Pull the valve cover and see if there is a broken spring or keeper missing. Pull the head and inspect for damage. At that point you decide if you want to fix it if possible, rebuild it or replace it. At a minimum you most likely will need a head. If the piston is damaged beyond use and the cylinder is good a single piston can be dropped in and you are back running. Keep in mind mileage on the engine. A repair is not a rebuild. Takes a real mechanic to work on the engine to fix/repair a engine. Most shops will want to drop in a engine without responsibility associated with it.

OP
OP
S

Sam Sciorrotta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The steps I would take is not run it anymore. If the valve actually drops into the cylinder it can take out the block. Pull the spark plugs looking for damaged plugs. This will identify the cylinder. Pull the valve cover and see if there is a broken spring or keeper missing. Pull the head and inspect for damage. At that point you decide if you want to fix it if possible, rebuild it or replace it. At a minimum you most likely will need a head. If the piston is damaged beyond use and the cylinder is good a single piston can be dropped in and you are back running. Keep in mind mileage on the engine. A repair is not a rebuild. Takes a real mechanic to work on the engine to fix/repair a engine. Most shops will want to drop in a engine without responsibility associated with it.

That’s the other issue, it has 208,000 mi.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
At 210,000 its probably due for a refresh at least, on top of whatever is broken. If you want the easiest solution just find a low mileage engine and drop it in and be done. Unfortunately if you don't have the ability to do the work yourself or have a buddy that can do it cheap, then you'll have to pay up for a shop to do it. I can't help with recommendations on rebuilt/replacement engines, I've never dealt with getting one.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
It comes down to your own situation and whether support is needed with the fix. Being at the mercy of a shop is not ideal but reality is that you need your truck repaired and need to rely on the resources available to you. Good luck..