Hemi ECU tune for Cummins swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
This is sort of out there for this forum but I'm swapping a 4 cylinder Cummins into my 2014 Ram 1500. Its all in and the Cummins is running as a stand alone system but I cant get the truck ECU to run the truck side. I have deleted all the sensors that produce errors on a scan with HP Tuners so I have no engine DTC's when you scan the system. The ECU is not pulling in the ASD relay but even when I jump the relay it does not help. The push button start system is working, the dash is all working other than the tach so I have oil pressure and temp on the dash. Whatever runs the tach also energizes the alternator and allows the trans to shift out of park. Basically I have a Cummins powered lawn ornament. :(
The Hemi sensors that I have installed on the Cummins are the oil temp and pressure, water temp, crank sensor and the Hemi throttle body is plugged in as I found it needed it to get any life out of the ECU. Before I pulled the Hemi I stripped it down to the basic sensors and was amazed at how little it took to keep it running and the truck driving.
I had the following sensors unplugged and then deleted in the ECU with HP Tuners. All the 02 sensors, The knock sensors, cam sensor, variable intake, Purge, and a couple more. I had it down to 5 injectors and coils and it was still running but rough.
I basically now have the same sensors on the Cummins but must be missing something in the ECU tune.
So before you go off on why anyone would do such a stupid thing lets just leave it at a desire to be different. This is not my first rodeo, I have already swapped the following: 2008 Jeep JKU/ TDI, 2008 Dakota/Cummins, 2000 Jeep XJ/TDI, 1999 Dakota/Isuzu and 1993 Jeep ZJ/Isuzu.
Any constructive comments are appreciated!

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Cool project, but I can’t help. Keep us updated please.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Thanks huntergreen, I have a build thread going here if you want to follow along.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Have you thought about replacing the ECU with a unit specific to your engine and build the rest from there?

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
There is no way the Cummins industrial ECU will talk to the rest of the modules in the truck. Its best to "fool" the original Hemi ECU into thinking its still running an engine because it already talks to all the other modules. I know I'm real close as the TIP start works to start the Cummins and the dash shows oil and water temps just not firing up the tach.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wonder if the guys at ATS could help you. They managed to get an Allison, behind the Cummins, in a 2500, to work.

Ev, what you're asking is way above our heads.

I love the idea of a Cummins in a 1500. I said a million times that my 1999 Dakota would have been the greatest truck in the world if it had a 4cylinder Cummins under the hood.

Forget electric, in my opinion. Diesel is the answer nobody will listen to.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
The Allison is pretty easy and I have a 6 and 5 speed Allison on the floor as a backup plan but so darn close on this 8 speed that I want to see it through. Have you seen my 08 Cummins / Dakota? Best truck I have ever owned but my knees cant deal with the clutch anymore so I sold it last month after 8 years of towing our 5th wheel all over North America.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I'm still fighting my ECU issues and wonder if there is an issue with the SKIM.
When you swap in a used ECU do you need to program anything other than the VIN#??
I have read all over the net and some say you need to program the SKIM into a used ECU and some say nothing about it. I don't have the red light on the dash telling me that SKIM has shut down my ECU but something has.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I wonder if the guys at ATS could help you. They managed to get an Allison, behind the Cummins, in a 2500, to work.

Ev, what you're asking is way above our heads.

I love the idea of a Cummins in a 1500. I said a million times that my 1999 Dakota would have been the greatest truck in the world if it had a 4cylinder Cummins under the hood.

Forget electric, in my opinion. Diesel is the answer nobody will listen to.
Amen to that, but the tree huggers overlook the obvious.

OP
OP
Evguy1

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
Well, I have to say we own 4 diesels and 1 EV. The EV gets used the most because its the cheapest to run and lots of fun. Tons of torque right off the line. Fun and cheap but boringly silent ;>)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963