Hemi Exhaust Manifold New Design?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You could look out for some used shorties there are some deals to be had.

Shorties don't fit heavy duty truck Hemis. Frame rails much taller. Designed 1st for the tall Cummins inline 6, then shoehorned hemi.

EriikK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Hey thanks for the tip on using a belt sander! I have the engine out of my truck and although they don't seem to have been leaking my exhaust manifolds were .025" or more out of flat. The center ports were higher than the ends. About an hour with the belt sander and now they are less than .005" from flat.

I was thinking about how much work it would be to fixture them in a milling machine. Or how much money and delay it would cost to take them to the machine shop. This way is much better and the finish and flatness are great. Hopefully after thousands of miles of heat cycles they have settled down and will stay flat, unlike new parts. Cheaper and better than new, I like it!

IMG_20221216_161341951.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hey thanks for the tip on using a belt sander! I have the engine out of my truck and although they don't seem to have been leaking my exhaust manifolds were .025" or more out of flat. The center ports were higher than the ends. About an hour with the belt sander and now they are less than .005" from flat.

I was thinking about how much work it would be to fixture them in a milling machine. Or how much money and delay it would cost to take them to the machine shop. This way is much better and the finish and flatness are great. Hopefully after thousands of miles of heat cycles they have settled down and will stay flat, unlike new parts. Cheaper and better than new, I like it!

View attachment 509142
Spring for a set of 6022 Remflex gaskets when you put them back on. They're a thick graphite gasket that allows for some expansion/contraction with-out leaking or breaking the bolts.

Rich62

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L hemi
Remflex 6022 gaskets I can find but which ARP bolts? Does anyone have a product # ?

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't quote me on this,but i was under the impression those ARP bolts were to short to work on a thick cast iron manifold.
Also, you can't use your heatshield because the studs don't have the shoulder to support the shield, I got mine from Dorman.

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Don't quote me on this,but i was under the impression those ARP bolts were to short to work on a thick cast iron manifold.

Are you thinking of the ARP 140-1101? I believe those are the ones that are not long enough and are just replacement for OEM length.

I've looked at my wishlist of parts from a few months ago and for aFe shorty headers with Rem Flex 6022 gaskets, the ARP bolts are the longer 440-1101... this was the info I gathered up.

I more than likely will just have my factory exhaust manifolds planed/milled and use the shorter ARP bolts/studs with the factory heat shields.

I currently don't have an issue with busted exhaust bolts or warped manifolds, I'm just wanting to not have to deal with that later on.

I didn't intentionally mean to be misleading.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Are you thinking of the ARP 140-1101? I believe those are the ones that are not long enough and are just replacement for OEM length.

I've looked at my wishlist of parts from a few months ago and for aFe shorty headers with Rem Flex 6022 gaskets, the ARP bolts are the longer 440-1101... this was the info I gathered up.

I more than likely will just have my factory exhaust manifolds planed/milled and use the shorter ARP bolts/studs with the factory heat shields.

I currently don't have an issue with busted exhaust bolts or warped manifolds, I'm just wanting to not have to deal with that later on.

With cast iron manifolds you want the longer versions,as the manifolds flange is thicker then a header flange is.Ideally a stud is a better option then a bolt when it comes to maintaining clamping force.The Dorman replacement bolts seem to have a decent rep after you've planed/shaved the manifolds flat,especially if you use the Remflex 6022 gaskets,as the Remflex gaskets allow for expansion/contraction better then the OEM multi-layer gaskets allow

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7

AFE shorties come with bolts that work fine with the Remflex gasket, that's what's on my truck currently.