Hemi growl question and gearing!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Johnny Blaze

Reaction score
Rust, cancer alike are a big NO.

There's too much real estate on a Ram to just be in one spot. It will show up again later, and that would be a *****.

For a while there was a trend to send vehicles that got flooded in the hurricanes from Florida / Louisiana to other places of the country, thinking that the rust so won’t actually show for a year…. and sure enough it did, not to mention the electrical gremlins that evolved.

All depends upon what you ok with. :waytogo:
That’s the truth right there if a couple spots have rust it’s only a matter of time before more spots start popping up!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Johnny Blaze

Reaction score
A 100% on the rust thing I saw it on the wheel wells which pretty much turned me off I looked it over dome more but after I saw that I was ready to walk away if I looked hard enough I’m sure I would have found more.I was warned to not go anywhere near any trucks from up here but I had to see for myself so I took a 3 hour road trip with my wife and daughter if I did not at least look at it I would have been second guessing lesson learned I need to concentrate south of the rust belt line not only concentrate there but see where the vehicle was driven I came across a few stationed in southern states but they spent most of their life up North that’s no good neither!

Fediej

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
If the 6 speed felt jumpier in 1st then the 8 speed,it might have been tuned

Could be I did not think of that!So straight up 8 with 3.21’s should have felt jumpier than a 6 with 3.92’s no tune!

Here I was looking for a 6 speed with 3.92’s because I liked the feel of it but could be it had that feel because of a tune good to know!

I’m learning more everyday from you guys

Thanks
It wouldn't even necessarily have to have been tuned, a throttle Commander or similar device would also do the same thing. Gear ratios have absolutely nothing to do with The engine sound. That Hemi growl that you're looking for is all due to the engine itself and the exhaust.

OP
OP
J

Johnny Blaze

Reaction score
That I know as far as the growl the jumpiness on the 6 speed was most probably some kind of mod then I mean the 8 was quick but the 6 speed really jumped when you hit the gas the 8 made that up really quick cycling through the gears really quick the one thing I just have to get used to is the constant shifting jerky is not the right word for it but the 6 almost felt smoother maybe because it did not have as many gears to cycle through and it held each gear longer I’ll just have to get used to it!

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Johnny Blaze

Reaction score
It wouldn't even necessarily have to have been tuned, a throttle Commander or similar device would also do the same thing. Gear ratios have absolutely nothing to do with The engine sound. That Hemi growl that you're looking for is all due to the engine itself and the exhaust.
I just looked up that throttle commander and you nailed it most likely the sport I drove had this or something similar you guys know your Rams!Im going to learn a lot here!thanks

Snow Wanderer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello this is probably a very silly and stupid question but I have to ask I’m new to rams and am looking to get a ram.I was looking at a Ram up here in NY it was a 13 6 speed sport with 3.92 gears I fell in love with the look as well as the power and Peppiness of the sport this truck fell through too much potential Rot it was a kick in the gut but I’ve been searching for a sport without any rust and cannot find them up here in NY I came across another one up here but it had 140k miles and only had 3.55’s in it not knowing what I was going to find underneath I passed on it focusing my search to below the salt belt I saw a couple in VA but when I was sent pictures of the undercarriage they were almost as bad as up here!

So after doing some nationwide searches I came across some bighorns one in particular a 14 lone star spent its whole life in Texas from pictures the undercarriage looks really clean 121k it has the 8 speed with 3.21 gears Color maximum steel sharp looking truck I am planning to send a used car inspector to look it over on Monday or Tuesday as the vehicle is 10 hours away so this morning I sent out an email to a dealer I saw a sport at in PA to let them know I have my eyes set on a bighorn but my love is a sport I need pictures of the undercarriage they sent me pics of the undercarriage and it looked really good I was actually shocked being a PA truck so the sport being my love I drove 3 hours to PA to look at the truck only to find rot on the wheel wells what a bummer as the rest of the truck was beautiful.I just cannot find a sport that checks all my boxes south of the salt belt
No rust
Crew cab
If it’s a 6 speed 3.92 gears
Mopar hood

If I’m paying all this money it needs to check the boxes and I’m at a certain price point

With that being said even though the sport is my first choice this bighorn/lone star from pics looks gorgeous

I have 2 questions after hearing the Hemi in 3 sports and not hearing the engine directly on the bighorn does it have that same Hemi growl I know it’s a pretty silly question but I love the sound of the sports I would assume it’s the same Hemi growl just have to ask

Second question is after driving a 6 speed sport with 3.92 gears is the 8 speed bighorn with 3.21 gears going to give me that same powerfull push you back in your seat feel with the peppiness

I think the one thing that’s got me stuck on the sport is the sporty hood and color matched bumpers not necessarily the interior though the sport interior is sharp it’s more the outer looks of the sport and in the 6 speed the shifter I don’t like the column shifter on the 12’s and some 13 bighorns with the 6 speed

I know the bighorn is well more of a meat and potatoes type truck and the sport is well just a whole lot sportier looking as a friend of mine said to me who is a Ram guy at the job the sports are nice but people tend to run them a little harder because well they are sports and look the part.

I plan on going to a dealer tomorrow to test run a 13 bighorn they have there just to get a feel for if the 8 speed is for me it’s a year older a 13 but I really don’t expect for it to be as clean body wise as the one from Texas but I may be surprised!

So to it up do all 5.7’s have that same Hemi growl

How would you compare the 6 speed 3.92’s to the 8 speed 3.21’s

Gas mileage or pulling power is not a concern I won’t be towing anything

I’m looking for that Hemi growl where you can feel the power but it’s still got that quickness and get up and go of the 6 speed sport

Thanks guys after posting this was possibly posted in the wrong section if it was sorry did not know how to move it

I’ve attached a couple of pics of the truck and the undercarriage of the bighorn/lonestar
View attachment 490181View attachment 490182View attachment 490183View attachment 490184View attachment 490185
View attachment 490187
Please rewrite your post and use periods and other punctuation. It makes your question much clearer and easier to understand. Believe it or not, punctuation is important.... it changes 'let's eat grandma' to 'let's eat, grandma', two entirely different things!

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a '13 Big Horn with the 6 speed. I'd say it's quick off the line and tows really nice. However, it's not a fast truck. It will do 75mph, but you'll burn through gas as it's geared more for power and torque than speed. I bought mine in '18 or '19 for $24k with 66k miles if that helps. I know the market has changed. I am in Rochester. I actually had to go a half hour away into the boonies to find a clean truck. Mind you it still had a spots where rust was starting, but that seems inevitable. It's got some roar. The cold start sounds nice. I can hear it inside my house. I like the gear shift. I guess the '14s they started making a dash dial which I wasn't a fan of. I looked at so many trucks. Some were so rusty had 100k and they still wanted $22k. Another had snow tires on in June. Legally, I couldn't even test drive that one. Another some guy put these dumb harbor freight light bars all over the front and back. He also made it louder by swapping out the muffler. To each his own, I suppose.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here is a old picture of my 14 sport, 5.7 8 sp, 3.9 gears, club cab, as I wanted more box.
I have about 75,000km on it now.
Sound, All 5.7 hemi sound the same with factory equipment.
If that seems important to you , you must be very young, easy to make noise, change the mufflers.
Mine has 0 rust, but I keep it clean, I have added some stuff since the picture.
I had a 2010 Laramie before this and I find the 8 speed better on gas, and snappier on low end, but the 2010 was great also, It got smashed, so I bought this ,as it was the best deal on the lot , it was a 1 year old model when I bought it, so price was right. It was new.

I am a bit different, I like black or white , and chrome, The red has grown on me over time, and at my age this will be the last one I buy
2014 ram.jpg

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
BTW ,If not towing, I would not worry about the gears, unless you are a street racer, I hope not.
Condition of the truck is what counts, if you are keeping for a while.
Do not buy one with rust thinking you can fix it, it is damn hard to do right, and can't be done cheap.
My son has a Daytona, with aftermarket mufflers on it and I hate it, Hell of a drone inside, You can't hardly hear the radio.
He got it with a blown motor and rebuilt it, so the price was right .

Last edited:

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If I saw correctly, there is a truck in NC that spent its whole life in Texas that you are looking at? If so I would grab a carfax and make sure it hasnt been through an auction. Auctions "recondition" cars before they sell them and nothing gets disclosed on the carfax.

Otherwise, like others have said, the sport is the same mechanically as all the other trucks. Factory duals might get you a different tone but I would assume the mufflers are pretty much the same. 8 speed with 3.92 is going to give fastest performance obviously. I drove my father in law's 8 speed bighorn with 3.21 last year while I was out of town and its not a huge difference. RPMs are a bit lower, so better mpg, but also shifts more often on hills. I also think the interior of the sport is a bit quieter and likely better equipped. I'm not sure if there are better door seals or better sound deadening but my sport interior is definitely quieter than the big horn.

moodyism

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 TD
It’s worth the trip to get what you want. I drove 10 hours each way to get mine and I’m glad I did. I have the six speed and the eight speed in different vehicles. I wish they were both 8 speeds. It’s just a lot better.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Please rewrite your post and use periods and other punctuation. It makes your question much clearer and easier to understand. Believe it or not, punctuation is important.... it changes 'let's eat grandma' to 'let's eat, grandma', two entirely different things!
You should probably not read most posts then .Always gotta be that one guy,and you appear to be it:rolleyes:. Did you happen to notice nobody else had any issues with his grammer,the rest of us knew what he was trying to say.If there's one thing some of us hate,it's a grammer cop.If you don't have anything to add to a post,you're better off being quiet. You joined only a month or so ago,and this is your 3rd post,how to start off on a good foot there lad.:cheers:

Last edited:

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
You should probably not read most posts then .Always gotta be that one guy,and you appear to be it:rolleyes:. Did you happen to notice nobody else had any issues with his grammer,the rest of us knew what he was trying to say.If there's one thing some of us hate,it's a grammer cop.If you don't have anything to add to a post,you're better off being quiet. You joined only a month or so ago,and this is your 3rd post,how to start off on a good foot there lad.:cheers:
Well said :waytogo:

For Snow Wanderer …….

Your point is taken, and is correct. Having the correct grammar and punctuation are important.

For Example:

F@#k you, and You F@#k

Both have totally different meanings and no one wants to mis-communicate anything. :happy160:

SteveBlack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8 speed is far superior to the 5 and 6 speeds in any situation. even more fun to drive hard with all the underdrive gears and lightning shifts. hemi growl can easily be obtained with a muffler swap.
best of luck!
Unfortunately in New York a new law was passed stating that using anything other than stock mufflers or anything that would increase the volume of your exhaust on a car truck or motorcycle is an instant inspection failure. SCREW NY!!!

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Unfortunately in New York a new law was passed stating that using anything other than stock mufflers or anything that would increase the volume of your exhaust on a car truck or motorcycle is an instant inspection failure. SCREW NY!!!

Will they for sure fail NYS inspection now?

Gotta love the People's Republic of NY. Eric O from the South Main Auto channel had a video on that recently. Maybe I missed it, but I thought it was only in regards to shops not being able to legally sell or install a non OEM style replacement muffler on anything anymore in NY.

Either which way, I'm glad I threw the OEM muffler back on my 2019 classic hemi. I was running a mufflex muffler delete pipe for about 8 months. Sounded so cool when you got on it, but it was too loud under nearly all circumstances.

Robert J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2013 Sport and with its stock exhaust it always was louder than other Rams such as Big Horns and Laramie’s. You could definitely hear the exhaust on the Sport but standing right next to other Rams it was hard to hear them running at times. I’ve been told that the Sports came with a different muffler than other Rams but I haven’t found anything to prove that

My 2013 Sport is a six speed with 3.55 rear end. My son has a 2015 Sport with the 8 speed and 3.21 limited slip rear end. One night we lined up and at about 50 mph we went at it. He pulled ahead of me till about two car lengths and maintained that distance till I shut down at about 90 mph.

Also, my exhaust now has a Flowmaster Outlaw muffler and he has a Totalflow muffler. Both sound real nice and the Flowmaster is louder at open throttle. No drone on either truck as we kept the factory resonators. As far as gas mileage, he gets better mileage by about 3 – 4 mpg on the highway.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
well thats too bad. you could always have a pro welder open up the original muffler and remove the baffles. or grab a complete exhaust system off a new TRX. they are pretty loud and nice sounding straight from the factory and have nice Chrysler stamps on it. some fabrication may be required heres a diagram I found

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220404-182351_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20220404-182351_Drive.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
J

Johnny Blaze

Reaction score
Wow you guys really lit up the thread!I did not check it until now.

I’m not looking for insanely loud exhaust the exhaust on the sports I started up just sounded a bit different than the bighorns!

They both have that growl the sports however have that different tone to it!
As far as Auctions go they are always a hit or miss.A buddy of mine used to buy and sell cars at auctions its a roll of the dice!he got some pretty good vehicles at auctions others not so good!

It sucks having to search from a distance When the right vehicle comes along I’ll know it.I have an inspector going out to look at the vehicle in Carolina tomorrow or Wendsday it’s not the perfect scenario but hopefully he picks up on any potential issues.It’s always a roll of the dice when buying used vehicles.We just hope we do enough to make the right decision!

Octane

Reaction score
Well said :waytogo:

For Snow Wanderer …….

Your point is taken, and is correct. Having the correct grammar and punctuation are important.

For Example:

F@#k you, and You F@#k

Both have totally different meanings and no one wants to mis-communicate anything. :happy160:
And just when I thought it was only me that got jumped on for having poor gramm-er skills It usually comes from people who disagree with my opinion etc though On another forum especially they trash me when that happens Lol