Hemi makes tapping noise at op temp & manifolds just done. vid inc to hear audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like piston slap to me. Good luck with getting any Ram dealer to acknowledge there's a problem. Trying to get rid of my '17 at the moment.

Well dang I hope it isn’t ! She runs great otherwise no misses. Got 19 mpg hwy with 35s on the way to the airport

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That tapping noise that the OP and one other notice is piston slap for sure. OP, did you have the oil changed at the same time as manifold bolts replaced? Lots of people have this piston slap noise where it's quiet at startup, taps while warming up and gone when fully up to temp. Apparently worst right after an oil change. Try running a conventional instead of synthetic (PYB) and better yet 5w30 weight.

OP
OP
K

killshot1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
been using either valvoline full syn or castrol edge full syn for the last few years all 5w20 weights and changing at about 5k give or take, how do you know for sure thats piston slap? i have had the manifold bolts break twice so im leaning toward warped manifolds. can you explain your reasoning?

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
been using either valvoline full syn or castrol edge full syn for the last few years all 5w20 weights and changing at about 5k give or take, how do you know for sure thats piston slap? i have had the manifold bolts break twice so im leaning toward warped manifolds. can you explain your reasoning?

I didn’t mean to hijack your thread it was just mine sounds EXACTLY like yours does..

OP
OP
K

killshot1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
no no worries, and sorry my question was to chevyslayer69, im curious how he knows that the noise is piston slap. If by chance he can explain why he thinks that i would appreciate it

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Straight edge will identify warped manifolds.....should have been checked while replacing bolts the 1st time.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If its manifold you should hear it at startup. Between that, the intermittent nature of the noise, and the fact it goes completely away when warm makes me think piston slap. Lifters tend to eat the cam pretty quick once they make noise so I dont think its that. My truck always does this warming up but by far the least noticble with PYB. 50k miles now and runs perfectly on any oil.

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If its manifold you should hear it at startup. Between that, the intermittent nature of the noise, and the fact it goes completely away when warm makes me think piston slap. Lifters tend to eat the cam pretty quick once they make noise so I dont think its that. My truck always does this warming up but by far the least noticble with PYB. 50k miles now and runs perfectly on any oil.

Mine seems to stay when it’s warm even get louder

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Also castrol edge with ti is the worst oil ive used in my hemi in terms of noise. Awful stuff.

Hemi832

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The video I posted was after driving 30 miles to the dealer so it was at operating temp. Had no issues, but definitely could tell the difference when I got it back.

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The video I posted was after driving 30 miles to the dealer so it was at operating temp. Had no issues, but definitely could tell the difference when I got it back.

Sorry I should have specified the videos that sound like piston slap to me are killshot and cshaffer. I assume your truck also made that noise immediately at cold start? The noise in your video sounds similar, but different to me than what I believe to be piston slap for the other guys.

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is going to the dealer Monday. Fingers crossed it’s just a bolt.. if it is piston slap what is involved in the fix ? I really don’t want a lemon engine

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My truck is going to the dealer Monday. Fingers crossed it’s just a bolt.. if it is piston slap what is involved in the fix ? I really don’t want a lemon engine

Assuming it's gone at operating temperature you shouldn't need a fix. It's common in a lot of modern engines. I have heard of some people get a long block replaced due to scoring of the cylinder walls from piston slap, but that's when it's knocking away at operating temperature. If they tell you it's normal, assuming they even acknowledge the noise, I'd just run conventional PYB to minimize it and drive another 200k miles.

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Assuming it's gone at operating temperature you shouldn't need a fix. It's common in a lot of modern engines. I have heard of some people get a long block replaced due to scoring of the cylinder walls from piston slap, but that's when it's knocking away at operating temperature. If they tell you it's normal, assuming they even acknowledge the noise, I'd just run conventional PYB to minimize it and drive another 200k miles.

Mine appears to be there at all temps potentially louder at op temp

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Notice what happens when I give it a little gas.. a clue ?

ChevySlayer69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well that sucks. If it makes it at all temps at least you wont' have to worry about the dealership replicating. If they're worth their weight in salt they should be able to identify and fix the problem.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That tapping noise that the OP and one other notice is piston slap for sure. OP, did you have the oil changed at the same time as manifold bolts replaced? Lots of people have this piston slap noise where it's quiet at startup, taps while warming up and gone when fully up to temp. Apparently worst right after an oil change. Try running a conventional instead of synthetic (PYB) and better yet 5w30 weight.

Man, these trucks are noisy. I don't think I have motor issues, per se. But I've never owned a vehicle with such a noisy motor. The weird thing is it doesn't seem to be consistent. I've too noticed it being noisier right after an oil change. However, I think that is due to changing oil brands. The last oil change, I did not notice a change at all. I think that's because I stayed with the same oil (QSUD) that's been working well for me.

I have no ticking on startup (right now, have in the past). I do have a little tapping from time to time after it's warmed up. But nothing like in the videos posted.

I bought Lifetime Maxcare - so I guess I'm not gonna sweat it. Truck runs like a top, no CEL's and MPG's are good. I really need to stay off of the forum. It makes me paranoid and gives me projects lol.

Gerald Sheppard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have an 08 Big Horn 1500 4x4 with the 5.7 Hemi. It isn't noisy at all, in fact just the opposite. I bought it with light front damage from Copart with 89k. I run Amsoil 5-20, all of their oils are full synthetic. It now only has 93 k on it. Just my 2 cents.