Hemi makes tapping noise at op temp & manifolds just done. vid inc to hear audio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Here's mine at less than 6K miles. You can really hear it at around the 1:30 minute mark
Almost like a low pitch squeal at times......most likely cam/lifters......should not be belt driven accessories but just to rule out take belt off after up to operating temps & run for no more than 1 minute with belt off to see if noise goes away.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Almost like a low pitch squeal at times......most likely cam/lifters......should not be belt driven accessories but just to rule out take belt off after up to operating temps & run for no more than 1 minute with belt off to see if noise goes away.

Mine sounds like Cschaffer126 truck. His dealer said it was the cam/lifters and replaced them.

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine sounds like Cschaffer126 truck. His dealer said it was the cam/lifters and replaced them.

Here are the other variables:
I was running 5w30 mobile 1 synth. Dealer replaced with pensoil synth blend

A slight tick on the drivers side is still present but nothing like the hard tick/knock before. I am going to drive it around for a bit and see id different oil fixes it. Prob lay going yo try redline

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Also like I said veofre
Cschaffer126, did your truck have this rattle on startup?

Every once and awhile like after an oil change it would. That doesn’t mean your lifters are bad just that there isn’t oil up there when you crack. Bad filter or low oil can do that I think

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well after being at the dealership for over two weeks and opening a STAR Case all FCA allowed was to change the oil and filter to see if that made a difference, (it didn't of course). And they wanted to charge me 70.00 for the oil change! FCA is refusing to investigate the noises further. Even the service manager is in disbelief. CAVEAT EMPTOR!

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Cschaffer126, did your truck have this rattle on startup?

That ids lifter chatter due to lack of lubrication. Once the engine oil pump gets to actually pumping, ti will quiet down but not actually go away, at idle speeds. Reason being is idle it to low.
Try 5w-30 redline witha royal purple filter.
should hlpe to quiet it down.

may want to investin a tuner to disable MDS. Bottom line, idle is too low for these engines, as designed, t properly lubricate the lifters, hence failures and cam wear/damage.

Everything, including common sense, must be sacrificed to the fuel standards and emission standards Gods.
positive note, folks cars will not last nearly as long and they will be forced into trading far sooner than otherwise.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That ids lifter chatter due to lack of lubrication. Once the engine oil pump gets to actually pumping, ti will quiet down but not actually go away, at idle speeds. Reason being is idle it to low.
Try 5w-30 redline witha royal purple filter.
should hlpe to quiet it down.

may want to investin a tuner to disable MDS. Bottom line, idle is too low for these engines, as designed, t properly lubricate the lifters, hence failures and cam wear/damage.

Everything, including common sense, must be sacrificed to the fuel standards and emission standards Gods.
positive note, folks cars will not last nearly as long and they will be forced into trading far sooner than otherwise.

I think if it was a case of low idle then all of the Hemi engines would make the same clatter and knocking. The 5th gen loaner I had didn't make any of the noises. Therefore that would indicate it's due to poor QC and manufacturing defects vs design defects. I do agree they build them loose to get the CAFE numbers up and the water thin oil is a compromise on longevity even thought it states on the RAM website, "Made to Last" https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-1500classic.html Yeah right, made to last until you drive off the dealer lot then you're on your own!

MarineBSP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For what it's worth, I have decided to monitor my oil pressure from new oil change and see how it changes as the oils thins out over time (shears). I can see how vehicles with high hours at warm, low speed idle could spend a lot of time at lower oil pressures.

After my last oil and filter change here is what I've got: At start when cold (well 3-season cold, not winter), my 'fast idle' oil pressure is 59-60 PSI. Once fully warmed up, on the road at about 1400 RPM the oil pressure is typically about 48 PSI. I'm using the analog tach reading, so +/- about 50 to 100 RPM

At end of my trips, all warmed up, in my garage, in Park, at low idle (ca. 500 RPM), the oil pressure is about 29 PSI. I'll keep tracking this, looking for a drop in the hot-low RPM pressure as I approach my intended 5K miles oil change point. But if it goes much below the current 29 PSI while warm and at low idle, I will be changing oil more often and considering 5W30 oils as others have suggested.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I think if it was a case of low idle then all of the Hemi engines would make the same clatter and knocking. The 5th gen loaner I had didn't make any of the noises. Therefore that would indicate it's due to poor QC and manufacturing defects vs design defects. I do agree they build them loose to get the CAFE numbers up and the water thin oil is a compromise on longevity even thought it states on the RAM website, "Made to Last" https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-1500classic.html Yeah right, made to last until you drive off the dealer lot then you're on your own!

why do you think it is called HEMI TICK?

SOme are quieter than others, true, but, as you mentioned quality control in the lifters.

there are alternative lifters that completely do away with all the lifter failures and cam lobes being chewed up but, alas, they are not the ones FCA uses.

Hemi 808

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At end of my trips, all warmed up, in my garage, in Park, at low idle (ca. 500 RPM), the oil pressure is about 29 PSI. I'll keep tracking this, looking for a drop in the hot-low RPM pressure as I approach my intended 5K miles oil change point. But if it goes much below the current 29 PSI while warm and at low idle, I will be changing oil more often and considering 5W30 oils as others have suggested.

I recently purchased a used 2015 CC Sport. Not sure what the normal range should be but the lowest I noticed was 38 psi with whatever oil the truck came with at the time of purchase. The oil was still clean but I changed it to Redline 5w-30 and RP 10-48 filter. Now the lowest is 48 psi at about 600 rpm.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
why do you think it is called HEMI TICK?

SOme are quieter than others, true, but, as you mentioned quality control in the lifters.

there are alternative lifters that completely do away with all the lifter failures and cam lobes being chewed up but, alas, they are not the ones FCA uses.

Yep. The aftermarket lifters don't fail like the OEM's do. This indicates it's a manufacturing defect and not a design defect.

Soulcrusher72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey guys just looking for suggestions on what would cause a tapping noise at operating temp on a 2011 ram hemi sport. i just had the manifold bolts replaced, cold start its smooth as silk but by the time i get across town to grab coffee in the drive thru i hear a loud tapping from both sides of the engine but it goes away after driving a bit. Seems to happen more when at quarter full operating temp if that helps. i took a video of the noise from cold start to when the tapping starts which is about 5 mins idling but i shortened it. Any suggestions are appreciated! Could my manifolds be warped?
Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=IsjJkmD1GTM&ar=1570552057044

Soulcrusher72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had that in my 2011 SLT. I had the whole top end rebuilt. Got it back Tuesday night. I had a few lifter bearings go and they grooved out the lobes on the cam. New cam on up. It took two dealers before it finally got fixed. I told the first it sounded like a lifter only at certain rpms. They heard nothing, till I took their tech for a ride. But then said they didn't know what it was. A few months later a different dealer. They called me back and knew exactly what it was and asked if they could year it down to confirm. I had bought the extended warranty on it so I said "Hell Yes!! " . It took two weeks total, waiting on parts and the warranty company to ok it. Now the Engine is quiet, exhaust sounds better and milage is back.

WhiteStar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And they say it's nothing???

The dealer had it for over two weeks, STAR engineers asked the dealer to change the oil and cut open the filter to look for bearing material. Which tells me they know that the lifters rattling damages the roller bearings. The dealer said that since they didn't find any bearing material the STAR engineers said not investigate it any further.

Here's today's video of the engine destroying itself.

Last edited:

ScrubsR1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The dealer had it for over two weeks, STAR engineers asked the dealer to change the oil and cut open the filter to look for bearing material. Which tells me they know that the lifters rattling damages the roller bearings. The dealer said that since they didn't find any bearing material the STAR engineers said not investigate it any further.

Here's today's video of the engine destroying itself.

Wow! That's much worse than your previous video. Was it that loud when the dealer evaluated it? And they said it was fine? That's criminal...I wouldn't stand for it.

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here's mine at less than 6K miles. You can really hear it at around the 1:30 minute mark
That sounds very much like mine post lifer surgery. I’d say it sounds normal but I’m not there

Cshaffer126

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That sounds very much like mine post lifer surgery. I’d say it sounds normal but I’m not there