Hemi Oil Filter, 2 part question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I will be switching to doing my own oil changes, does anyone use factory oil filters or does everyone use something else? I will be using Pennzoil Ultra performance Oil on the Hemi but I have always used Mobil 1 products on fleet vehicles. Never had an issue so I was thinking about using Mobil 1 filters? Also, I have seen people say hand tight on the oil filters, but there again I have always used a tool to loosen and tighten them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Years ago the OEM filters were as good or better than most filters. Sad to say except for the SRT filter, that is no longer the case. And definitely not with a long oil change interval.

I am currently using NAPA Platinum filter and it seems to be a pretty good filter - better yet was I got them on sale for under $5 a filter.

OP
OP
Davidloveshishemi

Davidloveshishemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
I use penzoil ultra for my oil. I use wix synthetic or royal purple filters. They have a better filtration count and are made with a synthetic media which is designed to last longer
Edit: through amazon I can buy a 5qt of penzoil ultra for 21$

I noticed that, even at Wal-Mart 5 quarts is $22.00.

jmd4100

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I use WixXP and tighten the filter hand tight and then about 3/4 turn with the filter wrench. Never had any problems. Make sure the filter and your hand arent oily when you tighten them by hand or that will significantly decrease the effect of the tool. Get it hand tight and 3/4 turn with the filter wrench. You should be good 2 go!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

16Ram4x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I started using Mobile 1 over 15 years ago with no issues in my cars, truck, and lawn equipment. Plus I do all my own oil changes and maintenance.
With my Ram I also use Mobile 1 oil and use Mopar or Wix xp oil filters with AC Delco as an alternative. Have always hand tightened oil filters plus 3/4 turn with filter wrench

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will be switching to doing my own oil changes, does anyone use factory oil filters or does everyone use something else? I will be using Pennzoil Ultra performance Oil on the Hemi but I have always used Mobil 1 products on fleet vehicles. Never had an issue so I was thinking about using Mobil 1 filters? Also, I have seen people say hand tight on the oil filters, but there again I have always used a tool to loosen and tighten them. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I go by the instructions i have seen on different oil filters over the years which is lube the gasket, MAKE SURE AN OLD GASKET ISNT STUCK TO THE HOUSING. Then spin until first contact is made, then go 3/4 to 7/8 of a turn.(Usually requiring a tool, my favorite is a rubber strap wrench.) Thing is mine happens to bottom out at this point but no problem to get off when i need to.

My dad always taught me to just tighten until you cant no more by hand. Only problem with this method is that different people are of different strengths.

And yes i prelube my filters/fill with oil.

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ill use the bigger filter every time, that stock one is small, fits my kids hands lol
Im using rp 20-820 now but will try the srt filter next just to see if i get a cold start tick which lately we dont have any cold weather up here! No complaints

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Ill use the bigger filter every time, that stock one is small, fits my kids hands lol
Im using rp 20-820 now but will try the srt filter next just to see if i get a cold start tick which lately we dont have any cold weather up here! No complaints
Do you get the tick now?

Potatomafia

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
This is my 3rd Hemi powered vehicle. The first two were a 2005 Magnum RT and a 2010 Ram 1500. I used Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil and Wix XP filters on both with great success.

I used to be able to find Pennzoil Ultra Platinum at my local Walmart but since I moved, none of them in my local area carry that oil. But Amazon has it for $21 for a 5 qt jug. The crappy thing is that the quarts are like $11.99 per quart so I ended up buying 2 5qt jugs. And I refuse to pay the ridiculous markup at the local parts stores for fluids.

I also bought a Purolator PBL22500 filter to try. There is a great series of videos on Youtube where they cut open and dissect about a dozen of the most common filters. None of it is biased towards any one brand and its pretty objective. I spent about an hour on Wix's website trying to find the biggest filter that would still fit on the 3rd Gen Hemi. The stock filter size is tiny for some reason. Now I'm looking at remote filter setups which opens up a whole bunch of filter options.

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I use the Fram Ultra (It gets lots of praise on "Bob the oil guy" forums) and I tighten it hand tight, no tools. However my hand tight is probably tighter than most people as I'm a big fella who doesn't know his own strength sometimes. LOL I'm also using "Amazon Basics" 5w-20, which is said to be just Mobil 1, but made/bottled for Amazon.

KC5TGQ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
Just go over to Walmart and get a AC/Delco PF48E for under 5 bucks. Its a good OEM filter.