Hemi Tick on Startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I know I am probably creating the 100th thread on this, but my issue is a little more different I think. So every now and then, whenever I start my truck up for about the first 3 seconds it sounds like lifter tick. It's not every single time I start my truck, and it could be 30 F or 100 F and it would still sporadically do it. After those first few seconds, it sounds normal, all I hear are my fuel injectors ticking away. I almost think I just have no oil in the upper side of my engine and it just takes a few seconds to throw the oil back up topside. I've asked a buddy of mine who is a service advisor and he just claims as long as it doesn't last on acceleration, I'm fine. Now I'm curious what y'all think! Maybe exhaust manifold studs? Thanks :)

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I am probably creating the 100th thread on this, but my issue is a little more different I think. So every now and then, whenever I start my truck up for about the first 3 seconds it sounds like lifter tick. It's not every single time I start my truck, and it could be 30 F or 100 F and it would still sporadically do it. After those first few seconds, it sounds normal, all I hear are my fuel injectors ticking away. I almost think I just have no oil in the upper side of my engine and it just takes a few seconds to throw the oil back up topside. I've asked a buddy of mine who is a service advisor and he just claims as long as it doesn't last on acceleration, I'm fine. Now I'm curious what y'all think! Maybe exhaust manifold studs? Thanks :)
If it only lasts a few seconds and doesn't happen every time you start the truck its probably HEMI tick. If it happens every time you start the truck after the engine has had plenty of time to cool off and takes awhile to get quiet(up to a minute or so) its exhaust manifold bolts.

OP
OP
south7west

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it only lasts a few seconds and doesn't happen every time you start the truck its probably HEMI tick. If it happens every time you start the truck after the engine has had plenty of time to cool off and takes awhile to get quiet(up to a minute or so) its exhaust manifold bolts.

Great. Even though it doesn't tick through acceleration? I thought if you have a Hemi tick it would tick all the time.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Hey man I’d try this- I’d run Mobil 1 extended care 5-20 with a extended care filter and 93 gas. Also if you start the truck let it run for a few minutes then bring the RPMs above 2k for like 10 seconds- do not just start it and shut it off.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great. Even though it doesn't tick through acceleration? I thought if you have a Hemi tick it would tick all the time.
If it ticks after a few seconds at startup and its not an exhaust leak from broken exh. manifold bolts you've got worse problems. You don't have any CEL codes do you?

BBhorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have heard it as well. Happened a handfull of times since my truck was new. now I have 20,000 miles. Do a little experiment , start your truck move it in and out the driveway or turn around ,shut it off. Let it sit for a little wile ~ half hour or so. Start the truck, this is the only times I have heard it. If I drive around the block or anywhere No tick ever.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Regardless, it is a good time to make sure you have a ton of moly in that oil. if it's exhaust bolts, cool deal, the moly is still a good idea. Redline obviously will have the most or Lubegard biotech x 15 ounces are a couple high moly choices, if you add that lubegard to amsoil, qsud, or truck and gas rotella you will have real good moly like pup0w40.

molybdenum is what the industry uses to coat metal at dry starts, this is one reason why fca choose an oil with 250ppm moly in their hemi specific oil, pup/srt 0w40 high moly oil, about 1/2 of what is in redline.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I have heard it as well. Happened a handfull of times since my truck was new. now I have 20,000 miles. Do a little experiment , start your truck move it in and out the driveway or turn around ,shut it off. Let it sit for a little wile ~ half hour or so. Start the truck, this is the only times I have heard it. If I drive around the block or anywhere No tick ever.
Yep that’s what mine will do but like u said drive it around the block idle for a little the bring the RPMs over 2k no noise whatsoever.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put Liquid Moly in mine and it usually takes care of that initial tick. just put a bottle in every time you change your oil.

burner71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
mine does it if i have not started the motor in a few days. My motor only has 4k miles on it now. Pretty sure its the lifters after they have bled down and are re-oiling for the first few seconds.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
I put Liquid Moly in mine and it usually takes care of that initial tick. just put a bottle in every time you change your oil.
Yea I saw a liqui moly 10 oz at advance auto is that what you use?

OP
OP
south7west

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it ticks after a few seconds at startup and its not an exhaust leak from broken exh. manifold bolts you've got worse problems. You don't have any CEL codes do you?

Nope. Engine runs great

OP
OP
south7west

south7west

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 LoneStar
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Regardless, it is a good time to make sure you have a ton of moly in that oil. if it's exhaust bolts, cool deal, the moly is still a good idea. Redline obviously will have the most or Lubegard biotech x 15 ounces are a couple high moly choices, if you add that lubegard to amsoil, qsud, or truck and gas rotella you will have real good moly like pup0w40.

molybdenum is what the industry uses to coat metal at dry starts, this is one reason why fca choose an oil with 250ppm moly in their hemi specific oil, pup/srt 0w40 high moly oil, about 1/2 of what is in redline.

Alright, last oil change i put Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Liqui Moly MOS2 with a Royal Purple filter on it and changed it after 5000 miles to Royal Purple oil and Royal Purple filter, which was about a week or two ago. I didn't hear the tick until I swapped from the dealer oil change to the Mobil 1. Now with the hotter weather I swear its becoming more frequent, I mean my engine only has 55,000 miles on it and this is crazy that I am getting engine issues with so few miles.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Alright, last oil change i put Mobil 1 Extended Performance and Liqui Moly MOS2 with a Royal Purple filter on it and changed it after 5000 miles to Royal Purple oil and Royal Purple filter, which was about a week or two ago. I didn't hear the tick until I swapped from the dealer oil change to the Mobil 1. Now with the hotter weather I swear its becoming more frequent, I mean my engine only has 55,000 miles on it and this is crazy that I am getting engine issues with so few miles.

I only endorse oil soluble moly, mos2 is powdered moly in suspension. It is hit or miss as far as tick, but also is a solid lubricant, not terribly much so but still moly attracts to each other as well.

If it is lifter tick, redline is the best recorded success rate on ram forum. If you deviate from what the forum has done prior, then you shouldn't get frustrated, it is just more evidence to body of knowledge around here and thanks for taking part in more testing. I wouldn't go putting more moly at this point.

Also, the science of moly is you have to wait for the plate, even redline has had this in likely 1/2 the people who use it. It is the science of moly. Give it 1,000 miles.