Hemi Tick?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daveski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I heard it ! Unfortunatly it is not exhaust bolt. Do you have change your oil not long ago? Some times it happens just after an oil change and go away later.

Hello, forgive me for not understanding the exhaust bolt causing tick problem, but in what reference or way do broken bolts from the manifold cause a tick to happen? Wouldn't you maybe have a different sound coming from your motor altogether or see other signs if the bolts were loose or broke?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Hello, forgive me for not understanding the exhaust bolt causing tick problem, but in what reference or way do broken bolts from the manifold cause a tick to happen? Wouldn't you maybe have a different sound coming from your motor altogether or see other signs if the bolts were loose or broke?
It does make a completely different sound; most people don’t know the difference between the two. But a broken exhaust manifold bolt makes more of a loud clapping noise and goes away after less than a minute. Hemi Tick is a tick tick tick at Hot idle. Some confuse startup chatter with the tick also but that usually relates to poor oil selection. Then you got the piston slap during warmups which is more of a knock knock knock sound. Unfortunately I’ve had them all over the years.

Daveski

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Thank you HammerHead for the feedback. I have a tick that lasts about 4 seconds when starting up cold and then goes away and is not heard again, so I am thinking from your feedback that must be start up chatter right?

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It does make a completely different sound; most people don’t know the difference between the two. But a broken exhaust manifold bolt makes more of a loud clapping noise and goes away after less than a minute. Hemi Tick is a tick tick tick at Hot idle. Some confuse startup chatter with the tick also but that usually relates to poor oil selection. Then you got the piston slap during warmups which is more of a knock knock knock sound. Unfortunately I’ve had them all over the years.

What does mine sound like to you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What does mine sound like to you?

Nevermind, I scrolled up and seen you already commented it sounds like the Hemi tick. What kind of **** motor is this that you pay $60,000 and it ticks [emoji23]

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nevermind, I scrolled up and seen you already commented it sounds like the Hemi tick. What kind of **** motor is this that you pay $60,000 and it ticks [emoji23]

Oh wow I suck at this thing [emoji2357]

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7

All vehicles have a bad point or two. Some of the Rams have a ticking hemi, some Mustangs have a ticking 5.0, etc. You would think that with today's technology that these small issues would not be an issue. The bean counters get mixed into the development of a vehicle and mandate the levels of imperfections.

meedom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder just how many people on this forum have actual lifter tick, and haven't had any problems besides
the actual noise on their 4th gens with over 100,000 miles or even hell 200,000 miles currently on their 5.7 trucks.

Doodoo972

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm totally agree with you. We are so afraid of cam/lifter failure that any unusual sound is terrifying us. Many Hemis are ticking and nevertheless reach an huge amont of miles without any issues on the valve train.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What years are prone to getting the hemi tick and what years are having the issue with manifold bolts breaking?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What years are prone to getting the hemi tick and what years are having the issue with manifold bolts breaking?
All years from 2003 to now can possibly have Hemi tick and all years from then to now could have broken exhaust manifold bolts. The only years that have had cam and lifter problems are the 2009 and newer models(up to 2015 is the newest model I've seen). I have never heard of one single case of a pre 2009 Hemi having cam and lifter problems therefore Hemi tick is probably nothing more than an annoyance with those earlier years. Broken exhaust manifold bolts may or not happen and are also more of an annoyance than a catastrophe like a cam going going out. With your 2007 I would say broken bolts at some point (maybe) is all you have to worry about.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
for me-any tick-click rattle or roll that goes away after 5-10 seconds after start-up and then purrs after warm-up is nothing that I should be concerned with-its 6,000lbs of rolling steel. Now if after its at working temp, and things start making those ticks,clicks and rattles that's when I start to investigate.

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update:
The tick has gone away after a few hundred kilometres of driving it. Took it to the dealer and they think it’s because I switched from Pennzoil oil to Mobil 1 and for whatever reason it started ticking. I call ********, why would it make the ticking noise just from the type of oil. It was synthetic to synthetic. They checked the manifold bolts and they’re good. Isn’t throwing any codes either.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Ive used te Pennzoil full synthetic from day1 -Mobil 1 full synthetic of the same weight is probably pretty much the same oil and I cant imagine that causing an issue at all. If it gets smoother after a minute then I would have no concern-just trying to get to temp and if it purrs when in gear with foot on brake {like you can barely hear it running and your idle is steady around 600rpms} then all should be well.

OP
OP
katja

katja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive used te Pennzoil full synthetic from day1 -Mobil 1 full synthetic of the same weight is probably pretty much the same oil and I cant imagine that causing an issue at all. If it gets smoother after a minute then I would have no concern-just trying to get to temp and if it purrs when in gear with foot on brake {like you can barely hear it running and your idle is steady around 600rpms} then all should be well.

That was my thinking too. Oil is oil. I have switched all kinds of different brands of oil and never had this happen. For whatever reason there is no tick at all now. Strange machines.

16RamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 Sport Crew
yeah its definitely not the oil since they all have the same formulas (ingredients). they all should be priced the dame since its the same thing with just different labels / brand names. someone needs to do something about this.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Me too-wish you could just go in and buy a white bottle that said HEMI 5.7 synthetic oil and not have to second guess everything-same goes for filters. Get in-get-out!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963