Hemi tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2015 5.7 Hemi with approximately 180,000 miles that has developed a tick at start up. How do I know if it is exhaust manifolds leaking due to broken bolts or lifter problems?

Jaymwbrown

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 E-torque
My understanding, at least when my 2011 did that, if the tick only happens on a cold start really, or goes away after about 1 minute of warmup it's the manifold.

Jason

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When the engine is cold, reach in through the wheel wells and grab the corners of the heat shields, and see if they are loose. If they are, broken bolts it is.

Usually the tick will subside when the engine warms up, but not always. My '15 got quieter, but tick was still there. I had the top rearmost bolt broken on both sides, and my exhaust manifolds were warped and twisted, too.

RAM208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Late to the party but I had 2 go and could hear a loud clacking noise for about 3-5 seconds and then it would quiet down unless it was super cold. However I've noticed a tick noise and got underneath the truck and could see carbon buildup on the driver side (unrepaired) thinking my driver side has only one bolt broke at the moment and planning to take it in to get fixed. Find a reputable muffler shop if you haven't already gotten it fixed. The dealer will give you a new manifold and it wont mount up to your down pipes/cat right and will leak. Muffler shops will resurface your manifolds and replace the bolts

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
@RAM208 you mention muffler shops will do a resurfacing job. Do you find that this is a reasonably prevalent task they know about and have done? I'm looking for someone in the Houston, TX area to do this for me (whenever mine warp), and if a good muffler shop has the experience and know-how, that may be my best bet.

OP
OP
Runaround

Runaround

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@RAM208 you mention muffler shops will do a resurfacing job. Do you find that this is a reasonably prevalent task they know about and have done? I'm looking for someone in the Houston, TX area to do this for me (whenever mine warp), and if a good muffler shop has the experience and know-how, that may be my best bet.
I work for a metal fabrication shop and it makes sense to me to have your old manifolds surface because they have already done all of the warping they are going to do.
Putting new ones on, they will be prone to warping.
A machine shop can resurface them.