Hemifever tune or bolt ons first?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello, I own a 16 ram 1500 so I would do the pcm swap package with hemifever. Truck is all stock besides a 6inch lift and tires. I dont have a warrenty anymore and was wondering if I should do some bolt ons before the custom tune? I just want to do aftermarket muffler, vararam intake, pedal commander and maybe a few other things like TB and what not. I know that retuning is typically free after purchase or a small fee which is why im not sure which to do first. Thanks!

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Muffler and cold air intake will not really add power or need a tune for them. I would skip the TB for now unless you really want it. It’s not a needed item. The stock tb is the same on the 6.4 that puts out 485 hp. It also does not need tuning to work properly. The only bolt one requiring tuning would be long tube headers. Even the 6.4 manifold will work fine without tuning

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Nice, yeah I just want the muffler for the sound mostly but dont want to just do a mid muffler delete. Same with the vararam, I heard it does add a little bit of perfomance, maybe not noticeable. I mainly want the tune to disable mds completely, fix the speedo so it is accurate and just get the most out of the truck. Maybe an edge pulsar would be plenty or if/when I get a pedal commander It will be plenty with removing some throttle lag. Would you say to do those mods first before the tune since they are not dependent on it? Or is the tune worth it for all around QoL/performance?

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Vararam is a gimmick, Just like every CAI for the 5.7L , The 6.4L intake swap is the best way to get actual HP

Edge pulsar isnt a real tune, Just a waste of money. PC is also another gimmick. Better off finding a used diablo on here if you want simple tuning options. But Remeber diablo dosent allow you to actually tune anything yourself. HP Tuner is the only one that does.

TBs are paired with cam swaps. A small cam dosent need one.

Get yourself a Hemifever Tune, some LTs and a good exhaust to start youll be amazed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah the new cai was mainly for additional sound. Ill check out the 6.4l one. Maybe ill keep it unchanged but add a different filter. Id like to go headers ect but thats for after college when I get into a better job. Would it a waste to get the hemifever tune until doing something dramatic?

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tune first, then adjust as you add the good mods. I'd probably steer you towards HP Tuner over Hemifever, but that's your call.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Roger that, I like the stock cai tbh and if its as good as the forums say im cool with keeping it, I also seen a mod you can do with some tubing to the front grill for extra cold air. I will check out the 6.4 version. Would it be beneficial to get a k&n drop in filter for it atleast? The exhaust I plan in doing the 2.5 dual in to 3 inch out magnaflow y pipe and then a 3" single in to 2.5" dual out muffler of whatever choice and keep resonators ect. I will check out HP, I just noticed on hemifever they have the packaged deal and being new to tuners I never really shopped around. Would it be a g9od idea to pay up to keep my stock pcm? I dont have warrenty so thats what makes me think I can swap and just save the stock tune on my laptop incase the custom glitches. Thanks a ton! Really eye opening on some of the mods and suggestions.

Mike Townsend

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you get the Hemifever tune he will adjust your throttle however much you want so you don't need the PC. I have his custom tune on my 2014 and it made a big difference in the truck. I also took the recommendation from the forum and bought the diesel intake box for the truck. The openings in the bottom are larger so it can bring in more air.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Townsend - I realized that after posting that both are capable of throttle control. Where did you purchase the box from? Also, with the bigger box ect did you do a drop in filter or just use the bigger stock pleated filter?

I think I am going to buy the magnaflow ypipe and 18"/14" muffler and install it in the next few weeks as graduation present to myself. Also the diablo intune i3 w/pcm swap and then use the canned tunes for a little while until I purchase the bigger box then reach out to hemifever.

Sillygoose

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
they're talking about the 6.4 truck intake manifold, not airbox

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Definitely do your research before you pick a path! Decide what exactly you want out of the truck and what you will use it for then mod accordingly and within budget. There is a ton of good info on this forum but lots of different opinions.
For example I'm a fan of the pedal commander, and its a volatile subject here! But there are also cheaper options like the drive9 to try that do the same thing. Even my dyno tuned, mildly cammed truck with longtubes still has that 'throttle lag' without it.
Also research tuners. I've read some things about the big names not responding to questions/requests for help for example. There are some smaller guys that might be more responsive and do just as good of a job. Dyno tuning is fantastic if anyone nearby does it, but it is pricey.
Have fun and good luck on your Ram mod journey...just be forewarned once you get started well it just never ends.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you have throttle lag with a custom tune, you're not tuned properly.

Just fire up HP tuners and go to Driver Demand and Torque Rate Limits. plenty of Youtube videos on the subject.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have throttle lag with a custom tune, you're not tuned properly.

Just fire up HP tuners and go to Driver Demand and Torque Rate Limits. plenty of Youtube videos on the subject.
FRP tuned out my need for a PC, even backed it down a bit during later tunes.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Townsend - I realized that after posting that both are capable of throttle control. Where did you purchase the box from? Also, with the bigger box ect did you do a drop in filter or just use the bigger stock pleated filter?

I think I am going to buy the magnaflow ypipe and 18"/14" muffler and install it in the next few weeks as graduation present to myself. Also the diablo intune i3 w/pcm swap and then use the canned tunes for a little while until I purchase the bigger box then reach out to hemifever.
Just be forewarned Diablo has been known to brick the later PCM's.Not saying it'll happen to you,but if you like to mess around swapping tunes fairly often,you have a bigger chance of locking up the PCM.
I just had issues with Diablo on my 300C this spring,where it was turning on the forward collision warning and putting the car into limp mode,so just a heads up,if you decide to go with Diablo.
Plus there's not many tuners still using it anymore,the majority of good tuners are tuning with HP these days

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
No this is all great advice. My preferred route of choice right now is the magnaflow y pipe, magnaflow 14/18" muffler and mbrp 5" tips these coming weeks. Then I will do the 6.4 intake/manifold upgrade. Afterwards I would like to do a tune either diablo or hp but will do some more research as that will be down the road. Then after that would like to do headers/throttle body/cam ect and be done. I really do appreciate the advice and info and helping save money on **** I don't need ect.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Edge Pulsar is a real tune - canned tunes. They do exactly what I wanted. I did not want a single tune optimized for a single application use for my purposes.

That said, I've been reading the quality went downhill, maybe try the more recent HP Tuner.

OP
OP
BrbGettinCoffee
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2wd laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Edge Pulsar is a real tune - canned tunes. They do exactly what I wanted. I did not want a single tune optimized for a single application use for my purposes.

That said, I've been reading the quality went downhill, maybe try the more recent HP Tuner.
Yeah the price is a bit steep for the pcm swap plus tune which is why I thought of the pulsar before.

Does it help with the throttle response and can you match the speedo by entering your tire info ect?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963