Here’s what I don’t understand

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why is it necessary to level the transmission pan rail when changing out the fluid and refilling? I understand the transmission angles down slightly, so yeah, you’d have to raise the back end (most people say about 9 inches) to level it out, but why is that so critical? It’s not level as the truck goes down the road, so if you fill it full with all 4 wheels on the ground, full before 122 degrees that is, would that not be considered full? What am I missing?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me try to answer that.

Think of the transmission case as a bucket with gears in it and the bucket has a specific volume.

For this device to operate correctly and maintain a predetermined operating temperature and pressure, a specific volume of lubricant must be added and maintained.

This volume is related to capacity and operating characteristics rather than the pitch of the transmission.

The devised measurement technique is to level the angle of the pan and then fill until it just starts to overflow.

If you didn't first set the angle correctly, your net volume of lubricant would be insufficient to meet with the design characteristics and likely change operating temperature, pressure, and functionality.

Does that make sense?

Another consideration for using the level reference rather than the standard OEM pitch of the transmission is that anyone that has adjusted a truck with a lift or leveling kit would be forced to use some unusual angle to get the correct volume of lubricant.

Choosing a level pitch is just so much easier for everyone than having to remember this Ram truck uses how many degrees pitch???

And almost everyone owns a level versus a digital magnetic declinometer.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
That's the real question you want to ask? How about why these twits designed or were even allowed to design a transmission that you need a two video process to check the fluid as opposed to us spoiled guys that get a dip stick. The 8 speed transmission is a perfect example of why everything is broken these days. Create a transmission that operates HOTTER, like wdf, say you need a special pao fluid that costs an arm and a leg but when you peel apart that onion the zf fluid is no better then generic tranny fluid on the stat sheet, have the filter and the pan be one so everytime you want to change the filter you need to change the pan as well, have a process that I would wager most people can't/wont do just to check the fluid level, call it lifetime fluid yeah give me a break if it runs hotter how can you dare call it a lifetime fill? When you buy a Mercedes you expect this kind of bs, but when you buy a pick-up guys are supposed to be able to work on it without being a technician. I am embarrassed for the people who design these things. Like everything else going on, every single thing is a self inflicted wound. You are supposed to build long lasting trust with your customer base not lose it with every stupid decision. end rant, I am in a mood today

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
That's the real question you want to ask? How about why these twits designed or were even allowed to design a transmission that you need a two video process to check the fluid as opposed to us spoiled guys that get a dip stick. The 8 speed transmission is a perfect example of why everything is broken these days. Create a transmission that operates HOTTER, like wdf, say you need a special pao fluid that costs an arm and a leg but when you peel apart that onion the zf fluid is no better then generic tranny fluid on the stat sheet, have the filter and the pan be one so everytime you want to change the filter you need to change the pan as well, have a process that I would wager most people can't/wont do just to check the fluid level, call it lifetime fluid yeah give me a break if it runs hotter how can you dare call it a lifetime fill? When you buy a Mercedes you expect this kind of bs, but when you buy a pick-up guys are supposed to be able to work on it without being a technician. I am embarrassed for the people who design these things. Like everything else going on, every single thing is a self inflicted wound. You are supposed to build long lasting trust with your customer base not lose it with every stupid decision. end rant, I am in a mood today
Tell us how you really feel Mike,lol

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Why is it necessary to level the transmission pan rail when changing out the fluid and refilling? I understand the transmission angles down slightly, so yeah, you’d have to raise the back end (most people say about 9 inches) to level it out, but why is that so critical? It’s not level as the truck goes down the road, so if you fill it full with all 4 wheels on the ground, full before 122 degrees that is, would that not be considered full? What am I missing?
You have calculate the pump is always spinning sucking fluid out of the pan when the trucks running,so as RamDiver stated you need the proper amount of fluid in a leveled pan,so the pump basically doesn't suck the pan dry once the transmission is angled down and the truck is going down the road.The 8 speeds seem to very picky about fluid level,and even being just a 1/2 quart down on fluid has been known to cause drivability issues.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Burla, You forgot to mention ...the pan & filter made of plastic, great for the envronment. And not deep enough to make grandma's apple-crisp!? LOL. They could used a 2" deep, steel panlike all pickup truck transmissions before it, and draw off the bottom which would resolve the finicky fluid level issues. And like you say, a dipstick. I'm surprised nobody has come out with a dipstick conversion or B/T level device to put on Ram trucks. Or have they?

The devised measurement technique is to level the [the pan] and then fill until it just starts to overflow.

Great way to word it! These are probably designed/built/tested, level. There are probably other equipment/vehicles (like heavy trucks or construction equipment), as well as sedans and maybe even FWD cars, which use the ZF transmission which may well sit level. Each mfgr has to set a 'standard' and I would assume they chose 'level' as it's the easiest for most service places/techs (across the globe) to understand ...for anyone who has a $3 torpedo level. But one more step for maintenance. It would be terrible if a guy had a transmission with a slow leak that needed regular testing.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've seen a few aftermarket metal/cast pans (deeper too), but haven't tried them. They look good ....not cheap though.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've seen a few aftermarket metal/cast pans (deeper too), but haven't tried them. They look good ....not cheap though.

Wow, that pan looks pretty sweet. And $320 isn't too bad for what is and only $20 extra for a brushed or black finish. I'd gladly get one if you were paying. :cool:

PPE trans pan raw.jpg

PPE trans pan black.jpg

OP
OP
T

ToddS1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks everybody for the replies. I'll level it when it comes time to do it, was just curious why being level when filling was so critical. Maybe filling without leveling would make it too full and that's why they say to be level.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks everybody for the replies. I'll level it when it comes time to do it, was just curious why being level when filling was so critical. Maybe filling without leveling would make it too full and that's why they say to be level.

So, picture the bucket again, half filled with liquid. Cut a hole on the side that is just above & level with the fluid.

If you tip the hole side up, now the fluid is below the hole and if you fill it to the point of overflowing, you would be adding more fluid and more importantly, more than the designed specification for normal operation or overfilled.

And conversely, with the fluid lined up with the hole again, tipping that side of the bucket down would dump fluid and result in a fluid underfill.

These gravity-based level checks are for the birds. The additional cost of having a dipstick would be inconsequential and lost in the overall price of the truck.

And, it would keep Burla and the rest of us much happier. :cool:

Does that make it more clear?

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok, Looong explanation: LOL

Transmission fluid level has always been critical on auto trannie's from the beginning. The range as everyone knows is ~ 1/2" or so, on the dipstick. There's a narrow range of tolerance due to the following reasons:

1) A quart is more than a "quart": What I mean by that is once the oil pan is bolted back onto the transmission, the valve body (or part of it anyway), filter etc, protrudes into the pan a fair amount taking up a lot of the available space in the oil pan. It's like putting a bunch of rocks in a coffee can, and it only takes a little water to fill it up. Vs if the can were empty. That's probably a lousy example but you get the idea: a quart makes more difference in overall level in the transmission than simply pouring a quart into an empty pan. Which is why in the old days it was printed on the dipstick "only add 1 pint" ..something like that.

2) Foaming/Starving: Transmission shifting works by valves routing hydraulic fluid accordingly, and using hydraulic fluid pressure ..a lot of it, to push servo's and hold clutch packs tightly together (so the clutches grip/hold).

Foaming: If the fluid becomes too high (overfilled), transmission fluid can get into the rotating parts/gears, etc higher up inside the transmission. If that happens, it can lead to foaming or 'frothing' of the fluid. Think of a stack of bubbles in a bath and how delicate they are. Foam & bubbles contain a lot of air which is not compressible (like fluid), and if some (even a little) gets sucked into the areas which require pressure to hold clutches 'tight' ....suddenly can't hold the clutches tight. So slipping or surging can occur.

Starving: Just as it sounds. If the fluid becomes excessively low, there is the possibility of air getting sucked into the transmission pump, valve body and rest of system. Just like above, air isn't compressible and there won't be enough pressure to hold the clutch packs as tight as they need to be. And transmissions operate in the range of 150-350 even 400# (PSI) range. So a little air can lead to reduced pressure (clutch slipping). That could lead to lubrication problems and burned clutches, things like that, because they're normally 'bathed' in tranny fluid, if not rectified soon enough.

That's the real ROOT reason transmission fluid needs to be set at a pretty 'tight' range. And having the transmission pan 'level' ensures the fluid is at the right level. Don't run them too high, or low and you'll have a lot of happy miles/KM's!!

Hope it helps :favorites13:

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, Looong explanation: LOL

Transmission fluid level has always been critical on auto trannie's from the beginning. The range as everyone knows is ~ 1/2" or so, on the dipstick. There's a narrow range of tolerance due to the following reasons:

1) A quart is more than a "quart": What I mean by that is once the oil pan is bolted back onto the transmission, the valve body (or part of it anyway), filter etc, protrudes into the pan a fair amount taking up a lot of the available space in the oil pan. It's like putting a bunch of rocks in a coffee can, and it only takes a little water to fill it up. Vs if the can were empty. That's probably a lousy example but you get the idea: a quart makes more difference in overall level in the transmission than simply pouring a quart into an empty pan. Which is why in the old days it was printed on the dipstick "only add 1 pint" ..something like that.

2) Foaming/Starving: Transmission shifting works by valves routing hydraulic fluid accordingly, and using hydraulic fluid pressure ..a lot of it, to push servo's and hold clutch packs tightly together (so the clutches grip/hold).

Foaming: If the fluid becomes too high (overfilled), transmission fluid can get into the rotating parts/gears, etc higher up inside the transmission. If that happens, it can lead to foaming or 'frothing' of the fluid. Think of a stack of bubbles in a bath and how delicate they are. Foam & bubbles contain a lot of air which is not compressible (like fluid), and if some (even a little) gets sucked into the areas which require pressure to hold clutches 'tight' ....suddenly can't hold the clutches tight. So slipping or surging can occur.

Starving: Just as it sounds. If the fluid becomes excessively low, there is the possibility of air getting sucked into the transmission pump, valve body and rest of system. Just like above, air isn't compressible and there won't be enough pressure to hold the clutch packs as tight as they need to be. And transmissions operate in the range of 150-350 even 400# (PSI) range. So a little air can lead to reduced pressure (clutch slipping). That could lead to lubrication problems and burned clutches, things like that, because they're normally 'bathed' in tranny fluid, if not rectified soon enough.

That's the real ROOT reason transmission fluid needs to be set at a pretty 'tight' range. And having the transmission pan 'level' ensures the fluid is at the right level. Don't run them too high, or low and you'll have a lot of happy miles/KM's!!

Hope it helps :favorites13:

Lots of good explanations/ Heck, on my Honda GL 1800 Gold Wing Motorcycle, Manufacturer stupid explicit on oil level. I have to have exactly 4 quarts in the motor when level after filter and change. Just 1/4 qt overfull, and a pressure check relief valve attached to a drain hose opens up and blows oil out the motor. Ask me how I know, lol. Kinda like these trannys, need a very specific viscosity and proper fill at temperature specified. BOY, do I miss having a dipstick for my RAM, lol.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Wow, that pan looks pretty sweet. And $320 isn't too bad for what is and only $20 extra for a brushed or black finish. I'd gladly get one if you were paying. :cool:

View attachment 517398

View attachment 517400

I've been running the PPE pan for close to a 1/2 dozen years now.Canadian Diesal in Loydminster is the cheapest place in Canada to buy it.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Filling it with-out leveling the transmission results in not enough fluid,not overfull.The fill /level plug is behind the pans sump,so if you don't level the pan rail,you actually can't get enough fluid into the sump before it starts to run out of the fill hole

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
They’ve figured without a dipstick there’s less chance of it burning up , just didn’t make it to the diesels fast enough .

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been running the PPE pan for close to a 1/2 dozen years now.Canadian Diesal in Loydminster is the cheapest place in Canada to buy it.

Wow, great prices at that distributor.

Traditionally, our Canadian prices are at least 50% more and this one is only $413.09 .
That extra 9 cents is a bother, though. LOL

Did you perform pre/post-testing to determine if you gained any improvements other than the requirement for more ATF?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The German company, ZF Friedrichshafen AG
makes transmissions & driveline components for several companies

When it comes to things like Earth Moving Equipment, almost all BIG equipment has Automatic Transmissions & they have a sight glass for the fluid level, as they do on the Hydraulic Fluid Level

To me, having to throw away the transmission pan every fluid change, has to be the most unfriendly thing that you can do to the Enviorment

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The German company, ZF Friedrichshafen AG
makes transmissions & driveline components for several companies

When it comes to things like Earth Moving Equipment, almost all BIG equipment has Automatic Transmissions & they have a sight glass for the fluid level, as they do on the Hydraulic Fluid Level

To me, having to throw away the transmission pan every fluid change, has to be the most unfriendly thing that you can do to the Enviorment

You might want to consider one of those PPE pan covers.

I would imagine it would pay for itself eventually and better protect the environment.
A definite win win!