Hesitation in acceleration after first start of the day

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Goal10der

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
My 2019 Big Horn does the same thing, and has since I bought it new. The dealer's service department has checked it out, re-pinged the computer, checked for error codes (it doesn't throw any when it happens), and it still does it. I've just sort of gotten used to it as a quirk in the truck. Cold ambient temperature is not the issue - in Central Florida the average "cold" ambient morning temps are in the mid to upper 70's most of the year, and it will do it as well on a cold start with mid afternoon temps in the mid to upper 80's. Maybe just an inherent thing with the 5.7.

Glen Harrison

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 ram
Engine
5.7 hemi
My 2021 classic has done this from new as well , it is like a non responsive throttle and a stumble missfire . only for about 10 min of cold start driving .. Dealer cant find it and no answers . no codes etc. i have the 8 speed. but this hasnt even shifted up out of first gear when this is happening . So you are not alone

TBG22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 HEMI
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same thing as me on my truck, in the morning when I start it to go to work, back it out of the garage and go to drive up the street for the first little bit it has some hesitation between me pressing the Excelerator and the truck actually going forward. It feels like there’s like a dead spot or how the engine would feel if it was all gummed up or had a dusty air filter or something but none of those things are the case on my truck.

I have pulled the intake tube off the top of the engine and checked the throttle body and butterfly valve and all clean, The air filter is perfectly clean no issues there, I use good quality gas from Shell gas stations not cheap Cornerstore one off gas stations, I have no codes or lights on the dash at all, I have the non-electric fan so I know that kicks in at first it might have something to do with it a little bit but it seems like there’s more hesitation then there should be for the first minute of driving in the morning.

After this there is zero hesitation when I am out on the road driving to and from work or when the truck is already warmed up it’s just that initial first a little bit of driving after sitting all night.

Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this with their 5.7 L engine and if you found something to fix the issue or if it’s just something these engines do when they first get started after sitting for eight hours or so.

This feels like it is in the engine, not the transmission or shifting hesitation. Fees almost like it would stall out if it were any worse, but it never stalls out, just a real sudden lack of acceleration and it just dies out for a second or two then goes.

2021 Classic, 5.7L 8-speed with 3.92 gears.

Thanks for any input on this.
I’ve had this same issue. Brand new truck with only one oil change performed. You explained my issue exactly. Anyone have any suggestions?

TBG22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 HEMI
I’ve had this same issue. Brand new truck with only one oil change performed. You explained my issue exactly. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sorry, after I posted this I was able to read the other posts. Will try to see if ahead starting helps or not. Thanks all.

seanhawn19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Wow. I have this exact problem with my 21 warlock. I usually start my truck and let the rpm’s drop before putting it in drive. But never really thought about it till reading this, that it drive but only feels like it has no power when I release the gas and then reapply.
The thing that ****** me off is that it didn’t do this when I first bought it.
Obviously something changed.
I due get lack of power even when it is warm sometimes as well as slightly rough idle and surging.
Chrysler installed a new transmission and valve body when I mentioned this but nothing changed. I never thought it was the transmission.
Really wish I could find a solution.
Also does anyone else have a delay going from drive to reverse or reverse to drive?
When it is cold it can take like 3 to 4 seconds. 2 to 3 when warm. Again even after a new transmission and Chrysler says it is fine. But my buddy own the same truck and doesn’t have it.
Feel like I’m getting the run around.

Nicholas Cove

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same with mine. 20 warlock 5.7
Probably normal, mine does it too. So did my previous pentastar and the ride before that (GM 3.8). The longer you let it warm up and idle before taking off first thing, the less it does it. It's just cold, mine did that from day one.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same problem, I think it's the trans fluid before it warms up is part of the problem, once the temp comes up its better, I have the pedal commander also.

GlobalScan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
I also have the same problem. 2022 Laramie 5.7 Hemi Torque - 8 speed Regular Gas. I replaced the stock Throttle Body with a BBK #1842 85cm. It seemed to fix the issue at first (hesitation on acceleration) however the issue still exists, but is not persistent. Hot or Cold engine does not matter. Happens ether way.
Reading all of these posts, not sure what to do next. Seems Computer reflash at dealer did not help on another post.

dork17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm experience the same.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Has anyone found a solution to this? I'm experience the same.

Start it up, and wait for the RPMs to drop and fully settle. It's not something a dealer can/will fix. The hotter the engine gets on that first start before taking off, the less it will do it.

Mine doesn't "stumble", it just feels a little sleepy. Definitely take your time before giving it the beans!

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Could this behavior be related to the "adaptive" transmission?

My Ram does seem sluggish at times when cold.

Really doesn't bother me much, though.