Hesitation on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I noticed this becoming very noticeable last few months. I’ve read the octane could be a thing as well as a fuel pump or even giving it a second before starting it. I have a remote start and not sure if that is part of the problem as well. It has some anti theft stuff so sometimes I forget to hold foot on break after a remoter start and it stops truck. Well then you have to restart it so my original thought was that I was over working the starter. Now I’m wondering if restarting it again right after may be doing something? Any ideas guys it’s never left me stranded but it’s making me worried.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Summer gas starts may 1 through sept 15, but what octane do you run since you brought it up? Air, gas and spark. Check air filter, clean throttle body, maybe boroscope combustion chamber, spark probably fine no misfire code, and run 91 octane at least once.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What plugs do you have 30k or 100k, I don't see your ram year up.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your battery could be on its way out too. I know that seems unlikely to some folks because you only have 24K milesbut my 2017 Ram starting exhibititng the very same symptoms a few months before I traded it in and it was the battery. She was 4 years old 38K miles at the time and that was in march or April so your battery is actually a good bit older. Might not hurt to make a trip down to your local auto parts store and get it checked out.

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it is now acting like it wants to stall once in awhile and honestly when it has a hard time it almost sounds like something is fluttering. Is that the battery or the engine?

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could it really be the battery or is it a fuel pump issue it almost seems worse when I park at girlfriends on uneven not flat ground.

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had battery checked today shows 12 volts and she even checked my alternator and said that was ok too.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
12.0 volts would be a very low battery. Should be 12.6 or higher if it's in good condition. 12.4 would be ok but not great. Did they load test it? That can be even more telling.

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
12.0 volts would be a very low battery. Should be 12.6 or higher if it's in good condition. 12.4 would be ok but not great. Did they load test it? That can be even more telling.
Yes she had me put my ac on and lights and rev the engine. Woman said it was good. Seems worse when it sits for a day or is on uneven ground. If I watch it from the vehicle info on startup when I start it it drops to 9volts but then goes back up to 14.

CamperMike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I mean load test the battery. At least by me Wal mart will load test your battery. Gives you CCA and voltage. If CCA is much lower than it was specd for then it may be going bad. You just load tested your alternator which sounds like it's fine.

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went and tried auto zone today and they said fine as well too. He said I had alot attached to it. Its a stock ram assuming the big thing on positive is part of fuse block stuff. Any idea guys it seems to be worse after it sets they say it test good don't really want to buy new battery if it won't solve the problem. Guy also mentioned trickle charging it.

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My step dad mentioned soemthing about having to have a dealer or shop out the battery in? There is nothing special that needs to be done right you take old one out put new one in? Not sure what he was referencing?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Justin33 nothing special has to be done other than remove the negative cable first and put it on last. There's a slim chance you might get some error codes pop up(CEL) but they're nothing and can be reset.
My neighbor is a Dodge mechanic and has had the advanced battery tester the dealerships use determine a battery is good but the problem wasn't solved until the battery was replaced.

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
@Justin33 nothing special has to be done other than remove the negative cable first and put it on last. There's a slim chance you might get some error codes pop up(CEL) but they're nothing and can be reset.
My neighbor is a Dodge mechanic and has had the advanced battery tester the dealerships use determine a battery is good but the problem wasn't solved until the battery was replaced.
Ok so I just need to get a new battery if a dealer can’t even tell. Should I just get something close to stock with same cold cranking amps or get a die hard platinum and be done with it. Live in northeast if that matters and get winters.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@Justin33 the factory battery in the gas trucks are a standard H7 size 730 CCA lead acid battery.
You may want to upgrade to an AGM type battery of at least the same CCA rating. You can also use an H8 size battery in your truck, there's a part in the battery tray you need to remove for it to fit.
If you want one of the largest capacity batteries available that's made in the USA, Odyssey 49-950 it's an H8 size. The H7 size for the Hemi/Pentastar from Odyssey is 94R-850. Odyssey batteries are made in Warrensburg, Missouri.
If I read your mileage correctly (24K miles), you may want to buy a good trickle charger to keep any battery topped off as that truck is not drove much.

I have the Odyssey 49-950 in my '15 EcoDiesel, those trucks came with an 800 CCA AGM battery from the factory.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you normally only use your Ram once or twice a week & then it is only for short trips, then get a trickle charger that is compatible with your Type of battery, ie: liquid or GEL

The way that i try to drive, is if i start the Ram once, i need to drive a minimum of 7 miles before shutting off the Ram.
If i go to the corner store & buy Lotto tickets, then drive to Home Depot, then go to Walmart, then return home, the battery is way down & needs a drive for 30 or more miles, without shutting the Ram down
The other option is a trickle charger

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just went and got a diehard gold I thought about going the atm route but this one lasted five years. I’m surprised I didn’t lose my Alfa settings with the battery change. What is the advantage of the agm?

OP
OP
J

Justin33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So is the startup issue still there with the new battery?
I’d like to let it sit but I feel like that maybe was it just don’t get how advance and autozone both said it tested good.