Hi from the Pacific Northwest

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Jerrybob here from the Pacific Northwest. Just bought a new 2019 Ram Tradesman with the 5.7 hemi and 3.92 rear end. Has the tow package and few extras. Very nice truck. Got rid of my 2003 Chevy 2500 HD with a 6.0 engine. That was a great truck but a real gas hog. The ride in the new Ram is great....on the way home....was getting 22 to 24 mpg on a two lane road going 50 to 55mph. Quite a difference from the Chevy. One question....with the Chevy....if going down a hill....I would downshift into 1, 2 or 3 gear to slow the truck....how do I do that on the new Ram? I know I have the gear + and - buttons...but what gear should I be in if I wanted to be in the equivalent low gears as on the Chevy? Any help would be appreciated.....look forward to participating in forum. Thanks

condor767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Congrats on your new truck! These new Rams are truly awesome.

Don’t know about the Tradesman but on my new 2019 Bighorn it automatically down shifts when I go downhill. Nice feature.

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to RamForum.

The selectable shift feature is a nice one to have. Your truck will always start out in full auto mode and one press on the - button takes you down one gear. I'd experiment with it a bit around town to see what gear at what speed works best for you.

Do you have a Tow/Haul button? I tend to take my truck out of full auto mode around town and leave in in Tow Haul mode, using the + & - buttons to manually shift some of the time. Or I just leave it in Tow Haul mode and I don't shift it, letting it run as it was programmed. In tow haul mode my truck shifts up and down just fine for around town cruising.

I also set my compression brake (which you don't have) to Full Time and let it slow down the truck when I lift on the pedal while in Tow Haul mode.

Congrats on the new truck. Go take it out and play with the settings you have and see how it drives.

OP
OP
Jerrybob

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks guys. Good advice....I will play around town to see what works best for me. This truck is very nice.....we pull a small Casita travel trailer and I use a car trailer for moving around mostly horse drawn vehicles from the 19th century. This truck should do the job nicely. I do have the tow haul feature. Thanks for the comments....very helpful.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
welcome

Ramm5.7

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 1500 Classic Bighorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the Ramily from Socal

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to the Family, you will find a vast amount of information here.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One question....with the Chevy....if going down a hill....I would downshift into 1, 2 or 3 gear to slow the truck....how do I do that on the new Ram? I know I have the gear + and - buttons...but what gear should I be in if I wanted to be in the equivalent low gears as on the Chevy?

Welcome!

Your truck should automatically use the engine to hold a steady speed going downhill. I drive a steep long grade downhill leaving my house and once I get to 25 (the limit) I hold the brake a bit to stay there then let off. The truck does the remaining 3/4 mile at 25 all by itself.

I wouldn’t downshift to brake down from any speed. Very old school. That’s what brakes are for. But I do like how the truck will automatically hold the speed. This may be something you need to enable in settings. I vaguely recall enabling or at least seeing a setting.

OP
OP
Jerrybob

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Welcome!

Your truck should automatically use the engine to hold a steady speed going downhill. I drive a steep long grade downhill leaving my house and once I get to 25 (the limit) I hold the brake a bit to stay there then let off. The truck does the remaining 3/4 mile at 25 all by itself.

I wouldn’t downshift to brake down from any speed. Very old school. That’s what brakes are for. But I do like how the truck will automatically hold the speed. This may be something you need to enable in settings. I vaguely recall enabling or at least seeing a setting.
Thanks Bruce....I will try what you say. I appreciate all the welcomes from others as well. Glad to be here.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963