HID conversion for a 2001 DIY for a newbie...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oilfieldjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9L 360ci Magnum
I have a 2001 ram 4x4 and I want to knowif I can put a HID converion kit with my stock headlight lenses? If so where is a good place to buy the kit from.? I've seen so many sites but which is the easiest to install and whichis the best?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Should have went threw JJ , got them cheaper .. but good luck man

Welcome to RF

OP
OP
O

oilfieldjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9L 360ci Magnum
Should have went threw JJ , got them cheaper .. but good luck man

Welcome to RF

I've just read some horror stories about cheap kits... I read that you replace your low beam lamps and leave the hi's alone... why is that?

OP
OP
O

oilfieldjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9L 360ci Magnum
They will fit in stock lenses right?

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
JJ does not sell cheap stuff or crap .. his name is highly thought of threw the forums when it comes to lights .

wermbang

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Off Road
Engine
5.9L V8 Sport
If you got the same size bulbs to replace your stock ones, yes they will.

the codes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 5.2
well it will scatter the light instead of focusing like a projector and prob blind people.

but will brighter then stock.

Tapatalk Addict

OP
OP
O

oilfieldjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9L 360ci Magnum
I'll def get on that... doing it now... any sites you recommend?

loki223

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
You replace your lows but no your his because they take a minute to "warm up" so if you switch from low to hi, you'll have very dim lights for a couple seconds. thats why most people leave thieir hi beams as halogen lights. One of these days i actually plan on putting in a relay so that my hi beams and low beams both come on with the hi beam selected. I'm also running aftermarket housings that use separate bulbs for each hi and low. If you are running stock housings, ie one bulb for both hi and lo beam, than you need dual filament HIDs. Which i don't think you got. If you got single filament HIDs only your low beams will work. no more Hi beams. when you switch to hi beam, it'll still be your lo beams running. Dual filament kits are actually one HID bulb, and a second halogen bulb built with the HID bulb, so your hi beam is still halogen. hope this clears some questions up for you that you have, or will have when you get your HIDs and only your low beams work.

as to the horror stories on the cheap HIDs, i've found a manufacturer of "cheap" HIDs that i have had really good luck with, great customer service, great lights, and they warranty their stuff. yes, i have had ballasts that don't work from them, but i've sent them an email, and they have sent me replacement ballasts that do work at no cost to me. just because you pay $400 for an item i can pay $40 for doesn't mean the expensive one is better, name brands and off brands both make quality products, and horrible products. Do your research, find out which brands are good, which ones suck, and which ones offer good warranties and back up their products. If someone doesn't back up their product, i won't buy it. it means they know its ****, and know you'll realize it too. If you don't want to spend 3-6 horus researching products like i do so that i can keep a couple extra bucks., get stuff from JJ, his prices are honestly really good (coming from a cheap SOB) it honestly takes time to find better prices.

OP
OP
O

oilfieldjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9L 360ci Magnum
You replace your lows but no your his because they take a minute to "warm up" so if you switch from low to hi, you'll have very dim lights for a couple seconds. thats why most people leave thieir hi beams as halogen lights. One of these days i actually plan on putting in a relay so that my hi beams and low beams both come on with the hi beam selected. I'm also running aftermarket housings that use separate bulbs for each hi and low. If you are running stock housings, ie one bulb for both hi and lo beam, than you need dual filament HIDs. Which i don't think you got. If you got single filament HIDs only your low beams will work. no more Hi beams. when you switch to hi beam, it'll still be your lo beams running. Dual filament kits are actually one HID bulb, and a second halogen bulb built with the HID bulb, so your hi beam is still halogen. hope this clears some questions up for you that you have, or will have when you get your HIDs and only your low beams work.

as to the horror stories on the cheap HIDs, i've found a manufacturer of "cheap" HIDs that i have had really good luck with, great customer service, great lights, and they warranty their stuff. yes, i have had ballasts that don't work from them, but i've sent them an email, and they have sent me replacement ballasts that do work at no cost to me. just because you pay $400 for an item i can pay $40 for doesn't mean the expensive one is better, name brands and off brands both make quality products, and horrible products. Do your research, find out which brands are good, which ones suck, and which ones offer good warranties and back up their products. If someone doesn't back up their product, i won't buy it. it means they know its ****, and know you'll realize it too. If you don't want to spend 3-6 horus researching products like i do so that i can keep a couple extra bucks., get stuff from JJ, his prices are honestly really good (coming from a cheap SOB) it honestly takes time to find better prices.

Thats the info I was looking for!! So I bought the single filament bulb so that does delete the hi's all together? So to fix that can I just buy the Bixenon bulbs to replace the single filament or do I have to buy a whole nuther kit?

OP
OP
O

oilfieldjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9L 360ci Magnum
Part #:

HID-646001

Listing Price:

$199.99

Selling Price:

$79.99

Product:

HID Kit

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brand:

VIP HID

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Highlight:

Increase Visibility, Easy Install, Warranty

Details:

Features: •10x Longer Bulb Life Compared to Halogen Bulbs
•3x Brighter than Halogen Bulbs
•Dramatically Improved Peripheral Road Coverage
•Custom HID Colors Available
Kit Includes: •2 HID Bulbs
•2 Ballasts / Brackets
•Installation Manual
•All Necessary Hardware

Our HID kits come with all the necessary components to complete your installation. This state of the art technology provides up to 10x longer bulb life and 3x brighter light than standard issue halogen bulbs. The improved lighting will make you a more confident driver behind the wheel by giving your more coverage of the road at night, exposing things that could be potentially hazardous. Making the upgrade to one of our high quality HID kits is not only a safety measure, it gives the owner some styling options as well by letting you choose the exact color of HID bulb you're looking for. We carry colors ranging from bright white to cool blue to violet purple.

The HID bulbs included in our kits are high quality units that have been proved to withstand rigorous use, changing weather conditions while still providing incredible road coverage. We use a non-interference MCD digital ballast that has been tested on various complex electrical systems to ensure you're getting a complete setup that is not only fully functional, but 100% reliable every time you get behind the wheel. We pride ourselves on supplying you with the brightest, easiest to install and most reliable HID kits on the market. Each kit is factory sealed and packaged carefully to ensure each piece arrives in perfect condition. Buy with confidence from us, the HID experts.

Installation:

This is a general installation procedure for HID kits. Installs may vary depending on actual application. 1. Disconnect battery
2.Remove stock headlight assembly
3.Remove Halogen bulb
4.Mount HID ballast near headlight assembly
5.Plug factory headlight harness into ballast
6.Plug HID bulb in to ballast
7.Insert HID bulb in to headlight assembly
8.Install headlight assembly in to car
9.Repeat on other side
10.Reconnect battery
11.Turn on headlights and enjoy!

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
OP
OP
O

oilfieldjosh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Engine
5.9L 360ci Magnum
looks like these guys have it covered........but I could have saved you a few bucks. ;)

1994-2001 Dodge Ram HIDs

Thats def good to know!! I'm about to check out your site! Damn..... I wish I would've waited a little while....now I'm gonna hunt for the projectors...
Thanks for everyone's input! Ya'll know how to make a guy feel welcome!

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
projectors?

we do that too

DSC05572.JPG