HID headlights issues. Thoughts before it goes to the dealer?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bo Daggart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Thursday night my check engine light came on while I was going to work. After work( Friday morning) I disconnect the battery for a few hours to reset the light.
Saturday morning after work my drivers headlight is out. (I believe it was on Friday night)
Saturday night I get a message telling me that my passenger brake light is out (it works fine)

Headlights are Morimoto HID

Sunday while I was at work I disconnected the battery for a couple hours and still have the same issues.

Anyone have any thoughts?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
My only thought is your dealer is going to blame it on your Morimotos and not warranty it. Do you still have your stock lights that you could plug back in to see if it clears the CEL or at least take it in with those instead?

Purplert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If remove the hid kit prior to going.. 50-50 chance they could blame the hids for the CEL or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
Prepare to take the blame along with the diagnostic bill at the dealer. I would reinstall the OEM lights, see if the codes clear, and work on getting a refund..

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seeing that your truck never came with HID, the first thing they will do is remove those. Lets see they charge 1 hour per headlight so there goes 200 bucks to test that theory even if its wrong. Then from there its all a chase. If your capable put factory bulbs in.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco
How long had you had the Morimotos prior to getting the check engine light? I occasionally get a brake light out error message (replaced w/LED bulbs) but it typically doesn't throw a check engine light, just the message that it's out. I recommend you invest in a OBD bluetooth adapter, maybe an OBDLink LX or MX that includes diagnostic software to see what's causing that check engine light.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bo Daggart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The check engine light is off.
I can put the stock bulbs back in.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I get the tail light out message once in a while, right after I apply the brakes. They are OEM LED units.

I've never had a headlight out error message and have Morimoto HID kits installed in the stock projector headlamps.

I'd suggest checking your headlight connections and make sure you still have clean and tight ground connections.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Brake light out is probably your 3rd brake light over the bed. Change it and see what happens. The headlight out is probably a loose connection. Just my guess.