Hid Issues....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
It very likely has something to do with a programming change for the lighting circuits. The Rams have computer monitored and regulated headlights and there was very obviously a change between the 2009-2014 models and the 2015 models. Even though the physical bulbs and housings can be the same. It is either a change to the sensitivity of the headlight circuit or its a change to the PWM signal which doesn't sync well with the normal normal HID kits. This is why we have an HID system specifically for the 2015 models which is totally different than the previous model years.

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Who wants to test a new CANBUS based HID kit for us? I've got some modules that don't require a relay harness or any of the resistors. If anybody is willing to test these out I'll give them a healthy discount on a Kit. I only ask that you install them promptly and provide feedback!

This kit will only work with our 35W systems, sorry guys. 50W just doesn't seem like its going to work yet. But your still getting more than 2x the light output compared to the stock bulbs, and getting rid of the nasty yellow halogens.

These should also work for fog lights, so if you want to try both we can work something out.

You must have a 2015+ Ram wither either projector or reflector housings.

PM me if your interested!

UPDATE: Planning to work with Clewis9593 on this since he is a local guy! We'll let eveybody know how it goes.

Last edited:

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hello All, I have uploaded a rather detailed installation video for our 2015 RAM HID kits. This is our original kit which has been well proven and many people have been running this for months without issues. Please excuse my poor video skills.

https://youtu.be/mGraAqqmelM

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Who wants to test a new CANBUS based HID kit for us? I've got some modules that don't require a relay harness or any of the resistors. If anybody is willing to test these out I'll give them a healthy discount on a Kit. I only ask that you install them promptly and provide feedback!

This kit will only work with our 35W systems, sorry guys. 50W just doesn't seem like its going to work yet. But your still getting more than 2x the light output compared to the stock bulbs, and getting rid of the nasty yellow halogens.

These should also work for fog lights, so if you want to try both we can work something out.

You must have a 2015+ Ram wither either projector or reflector housings.

PM me if your interested!
PM sent

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hello All, I have uploaded a rather detailed installation video for our 2015 RAM HID kits. This is our original kit which has been well proven and many people have been running this for months without issues. Please excuse my poor video skills.

https://youtu.be/mGraAqqmelM
nice looking kit, are you running or plan to run any specials on these kits?

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
The 2015 Ram kits will never go on sale as they are today with the full harness setup. They are a lot of work for me to be making and the components are not cheap. The heat sinks are custom milled to fit the resistors and brackets. The resistors packs, and interface harness are hand made. And your still getting more for your money compared to the competing options from others (based on what I've seen so far, things can change)

If this canbus solution does indeed work, it will be priced lower than the full relay harness setup. Somewhere around $175 but only compatible with our Alpha-35W ballasts.

Also, for those of you demanding <6000k color temp, I should have 4300k available in a few weeks for both projector and reflector headlights.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 2015 Ram kits will never go on sale as they are today with the full harness setup. They are a lot of work for me to be making and the components are not cheap. The heat sinks are custom milled to fit the resistors and brackets. The resistors packs, and interface harness are hand made. And your still getting more for your money compared to the competing options from others (based on what I've seen so far, things can change)

If this canbus solution does indeed work, it will be priced lower than the full relay harness setup. Somewhere around $175 but only compatible with our Alpha-35W ballasts.

Also, for those of you demanding <6000k color temp, I should have 4300k available in a few weeks for both projector and reflector headlights.

ok thanks for the feedback!

ufokillerz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hoping for a good solution soon. I bought some bulbs/ballasts to try out, but i have a feeling it will not work great. Realized i just bought bulbs for $150 too. thought they were 75 per pair, but apparently these philips rebased bulbs are $75 bucks per pop.
Very disappointed when i realized i had halogens and not bi-xenons hah.

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hoping for a good solution soon. I bought some bulbs/ballasts to try out, but i have a feeling it will not work great. Realized i just bought bulbs for $150 too. thought they were 75 per pair, but apparently these philips rebased bulbs are $75 bucks per pop.
Very disappointed when i realized i had halogens and not bi-xenons hah.

I suggest not wasting your time (or money) on any kit that is not designed specifically for the 2015 models. I worked with a local guy here to look a the frequency response of various HID setups with no luck. Even with one type of canbus filter that had a perfect response and matched the stock waveform, it still didnt work.

I will have to admit, if your paid $150 for a set of aftermarket H11 or 9012 style HID bulbs, that is.... well quite generous. Both myself and TRS have very high performance HID bulbs for a good chunk less than $75/pc!

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hello All,

Sorry to say the Canbus solution is a no-go. Worked for a few days and then started having issues. I'm going to stick with our well-proven relay harness based solutions. I may revisit a canbus based solution in the future when the Enlight LED headlights are released, but that is several months out.

We will soon have both 4300k and 6000k bulbs available with our kits (ETA 2 weeks). Also, an updated version of our Alpha Series relay harness with nylon braided loom will give a little more of a polished look.

But as of now, of all the things I've tested, there is only 1 solution. And I have tired other company's claimed solutions to the 2015 models with no success.

bigschlief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bixenon 2012 ram 1500 dual beam truck

So i had high end piaa halogen bulbs since a few days ago when my kensun h13 bixenon bulbs showed up and the warning cancellor capacitors.

It was a very easy install and i drove infront of my truck in my wifes hetta and you dont need projectors pffft.

So after all was done my drl were flickering due to them not recieving enough power and so i did what i figure was the easiest solution to my problem...

I glued a pop bottle cap over the radiant light sensor on the front of the dash to trick my truck into thinking im driving at night all the time.

What do you all think of this quick solution?
Is there any real consequences to doing this?

Attachments

• 20150921_171835.jpg
    20150921_171835.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20150921_171815.jpg
    20150921_171815.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 96
  • 20150921_171709.jpg
    20150921_171709.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 95

bigschlief

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To adjust the stock headlights...

You open the hoob and theres arrows pointing to two holes right above the back of the headlight housing on the top of the fender (its a 7mm socket)

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Anybody up for testing an HID high beam kit? A simplified solution for the low beams is a no-go. Tried many things with no success. Only our full kit with relay harness works for the low beams.

But for the high beams I have not spent enough time with those. PM me if you have a 2015+ Ram 1500 and want to test a plug and play HID high beam system.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
here is a pic of my 2015 ram sport with 55w 8000k hids i havent gotten around to doing the fog lights yet but it will be the same setup

very nice... is it just the pic or are they that blue?

Shrek789

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hello first time member here and I am having issues with my HID kit for low beam in my 2014 none projector. My driver side headlight does not come on it started about a month ago(installed the kit in May). I used to be able to flick the lights from auto to off and back a few times and would come on but today no luck. I would appreciate any help.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello first time member here and I am having issues with my HID kit for low beam in my 2014 none projector. My driver side headlight does not come on it started about a month ago(installed the kit in May). I used to be able to flick the lights from auto to off and back a few times and would come on but today no luck. I would appreciate any help.
First double check all connections, while the plugs look good ive seen it where the pins inside get pushed out no longer a good connection, ensure you have power to the ballast, if all good swap the ballasts sides to see if the problem fallows the ballast, if it fallows its a bad ballast, if it remains still the drivers side its a bulb

Enlight

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8

Usually this is a result of either:

A) Some HID bulbs have quality control issues where the amount of mercury or gas pressure inside the bulb is not consistent between bulbs. This can make the HID bulb very hard to start or ignite. This puts excess strain on the ballast as well. Some ballasts have an over load safety feature and will cut power to the bulbs if its pulling too much power for too long. Resulting in a non-start.

B) Ballasts are not getting enough electrical power. If the ballasts have to work hard to pull in current, this also causes stress. If the path to ground or incoming power does not have sufficient wire thickness, or low path resistance, it can cause ignition issues.

C) Premature electrode wear. For one reason or another, if the spark gap in your hid bulb is too large, or has increased over time due to electrode wear, it can cause this effect as well.

Sadly Both cases A and C can cause the ballasts to fail prematurely as well in our experience. So if the bulb was the source of the problem, it may have caused damage to the ballast as well. In which case, replacement is the only option.

turboguy327

Reaction score
I have done much research on this subject! honestly to spend over 200$ on an hid kit that ONLY offers 35w 6000k systems or a 55w system with a maximum 5200k output from the enlight 6000k set is rediculoius. I have a 2015 dodge ram 1500 sport with the 5.7 hemi running projector housings and have achieved full 55w 8000k low beam and 55w 8000k fog light. Yes I do have to make my own harness but I saved over 150$ and am not limited to one system I can actually run ANY temperature bulb I want, I think I spent a little over 120$ on the 2 hid kits, wire, resistors, capacitors, and a couple relays. That's all it takes oh and a little bit of automotive electrical smarts I would post a pic but am new to this site and don't know how to attach a photo I will be posting a video on YouTube for all you DIYers on how I did it and the results just bare with me a little more till i do some final touch ups other wise i say save your money and do it yourself unless you don't care to

If you did all that effort why did you go with 8000k? Wouldn't you want useable light?

Shrek789

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ok my HID kit is still under warrenty so what is the best way to diagnose the problem? Today started my truck switched the lights on and then off again and drive side light cam on.