Hid Issues....?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Any update yet? I just converted my SLT to a sport and am running some TRS Can-Bus HIDs that worked great in my 2011 but are having this exact issue as you in my 2015... Both headlights turn off and back on twice after 20 mins of driving, then at the 25 min mark the go completely dead...Except i have to shut the truck off and wait 30+ mins before they will come back on usually..sometimes they come back on right away after shutting it off though but not usually.

I plugged the ballast in to the low beam plug and crammed everything inside the housing, and i too am not running a relay harness...i've done a plug and play installation. I've heard it may need a capacitor from a local company?

Edit...(additional information) fog lights and driving lights remain on. low beam is the only one that goes out for sure, have not tried high beam when the lights are out yet.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any update yet? I just converted my SLT to a sport and am running some TRS Can-Bus HIDs that worked great in my 2011 but are having this exact issue as you in my 2015... Both headlights turn off and back on twice after 20 mins of driving, then at the 25 min mark the go completely dead...Except i have to shut the truck off and wait 30+ mins before they will come back on usually..sometimes they come back on right away after shutting it off though but not usually.

I plugged the ballast in to the low beam plug and crammed everything inside the housing, and i too am not running a relay harness...i've done a plug and play installation. I've heard it may need a capacitor from a local company?

Edit...(additional information) fog lights and driving lights remain on. low beam is the only one that goes out for sure, have not tried high beam when the lights are out yet.

Sounds like the EXACT same issue as myself.... other than I didn't need to wait 30+ mins for it to come back on after turning the truck off. When I talked to TRS on their chat thing on the website, they said to try changing the canbus adapter from 1 side to the other (apparently it has helped fix some issues in the past). Some people in this thread of mentioned trying to turn off approach lighting (so when you unlock that the lights don't come on (didn't try this)), try using lights manually rather than auto (I tried this, and didn't find this helped me any).

I've sent the canbus adapters back to TRS, and they should be there by tomorrow or I hope monday (tracking says to be delivered by the 10th)... So depending how long it takes for them to process it and send out the relay harness to me is the other question.... Although you could order the harness and return the canbus adapters after for a credit... But I figured since the lights didn't work properly anyway that I might as well change to stock while I wait.

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So just an update.. relay harness did not work. Lights didn't go out for an hour but we're flickering every few minutes and then finally went out 10 mins ago and have not come back yet. And I disabled the approach lights a long time ago and I always drive with the lights manually, never in auto mode.

The relay buzzes so it ddefinitely needs a capacitor as it sends a pulse signal not a constant signal. And I noticed when turning on the high beams I got a buzz from the front passenger side.

So as of now I am clueless. Debating bypassing the entire damn headlight module and just running a bunch of wires.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The TRS relay harness comes with I believe a dual relay setup and capacitor to each bulb. I believe one person said he did have an issue with it in which he just had to change the capacitor from the + wire to the - wire, or vice versa... I'd have to go back and see... I'm hoping that I can still use the features (although its not a deal that will kill anything if I gotta turn approach lights off and use the lights manually)... But if the options there, i'd rather be able to use them!

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Let me know if your harness works. I just tried a general single relay harness. Are we the only 2015 rams trying to install HIDs? Surely someone else must have had this problem and know a solution to it.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When I talked to TRS, they mentioned that a lot of mopar vehicles from canada order the harness rather than the canbus adapters, they said some issue with the DRLs and them not really working together properly. BUT theres been a few people from canada who have 14 and used them, with minor issues (a light not turning on, and they turn it off and back on and then it comes on)... I would be happy if that was my only issue! lol...

But ya, i'll keep this updated so you and anyone else who may have the issue knows whats going on and what to try!

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yeah my light have been out for probably an hour now. Still won't come back on. Had to jump the relay to get home....basically my low beam wire isn't live at all and when it does go live it immediately dies again as soon as it senses the HID or something... probably going to run the signal wire to the driving lights (as long as that is not how the turn signals or anything is controlled) and hope that works.. it is only my low beam wire that dies. Fogs, driving, and high beam all stay on.

I am either going to wire to the driving lights if nothing else runs through that line (signal, lock/unlock flash, etc) or splice in to the manual lights wire right off the dash as the signal so the relay gets the signal before it goes through the light module.

redblack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When I talked to TRS, they mentioned that a lot of mopar vehicles from canada order the harness rather than the canbus adapters, they said some issue with the DRLs and them not really working together properly. BUT theres been a few people from canada who have 14 and used them, with minor issues (a light not turning on, and they turn it off and back on and then it comes on)... I would be happy if that was my only issue! lol...

But ya, i'll keep this updated so you and anyone else who may have the issue knows whats going on and what to try!

Oddly enough, my canadian ram did not like the harness at all.
1st attempt - drivers side would not fire 50 percent of the time, always got a lamp out alarm. double checked the grounds and ohmed the resistors and capacitor, everything checked out.

2nd attempt - I flipped the capacitor connector and it worked perfectly for a few days. Then they started acting up, i had no lamp out alarms but both headlights would refuse to fire sometimes. I had to restart the truck for it to work again, i also had a nasty buzzing sound from one of the two relays. Jeremy was suppose to send me a replacement but he never did.

3rd attempt - I ended up ordering a set of canbus adaptors at the retrofitsource, it has worked alot better than the relay harness so far but i did have to disable the approach lights and i don't use the auto headlights no more.

I figure if these canbus adaptors fail, im just going to call her quits for good and sell the kit.

BlackRamHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Canuck Ram here,
DRLS is irrelevant if you only upgrade the Low Beams to HID's
(DRLS uses Hi bulb at half strength if you had quads originally)...nothing to do with projector at all.
Rams that come with factory projectors use the amber LED's for DRLS....so they are not affected by HID's either.

My 10 Sport has swapped the stock quads for 13+projectors (twice) from the RetroShop
1st time was OEM projectors with drop in HID's, good ...but not quite enough
2nd set TYC replicas with Moriomoto FX-R upgrade...the Bomb!

Both were run absolutely without issue with PnP canbus adapters (no relay harness)
...also added to same to my fogs (35w/5000k and canbus) no problems at all.

lots of before/after comparison pic's here: http://www.ramforum.com/f96/blackout_edition_13_projector_upgrade-55597/

Last edited:

dozer327

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just installed my hid's and tyc projectors last night from Jeremy at Retroshop. I use the can bus plugs and have no issues at all. I did not have to disable the auto light or anything. When I lock or unlock my truck they power up just like Acura did.

OP
OP
P

patrick3319

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Canuck Ram here,
DRLS is irrelevant if you only upgrade the Low Beams to HID's
(DRLS uses Hi bulb at half strength if you had quads originally)...nothing to do with projector at all.
Rams that come with factory projectors use the amber LED's for DRLS....so they are not affected by HID's either.

My 10 Sport has swapped the stock quads for 13+projectors (twice) from the RetroShop
1st time was OEM projectors with drop in HID's, good ...but not quite enough
2nd set TYC replicas with Moriomoto FX-R upgrade...the Bomb!

Both were run absolutely without issue with PnP canbus adapters (no relay harness)
...also added to same to my fogs (35w/5000k and canbus) no problems at all.

lots of before/after comparison pic's here: http://www.ramforum.com/f96/blackout_edition_13_projector_upgrade-55597/

I usually buy cheaper HIDs off Ebay, and have issues... I figured this time i'd spend the money since I saw everyone saying these were great worked no problem etc (even with other vehicles). So I spent the money to not have the issues... And well that clearly isn't how it worked out..

But thats what I didn't understand when they said it was because of the DRL. Because its not even that bulb thats used for DRL (its the amber LEDs). But I figured maybe its something to do with a power draw when the HIDs are on, even if approach lights are left on, how does that affect it 20-30 mins after the truck has been running? It just seems that theres a few trucks more picky than others...

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
these trucks have a mind of their own...........

15s, I've seen a couple with an issue, but seems that swapping to the harness from canbus, or vice versa....one cares for it.

DRLs......thats a script they are reading. They do not know the trucks like I do, nor should they. They speak in generics......DRL won't matter unless its on that circuit.

DiabeticKripple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
pull the drl fuse.

someone can correct me if im wrong, but drl's use a lower voltage than low beams and that will ruin your ballasts as they are meant to have full power.

itll make everything last longer. i did it on my previous car when i had issues and it solved them

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
pull the drl fuse.

someone can correct me if im wrong, but drl's use a lower voltage than low beams and that will ruin your ballasts as they are meant to have full power.

itll make everything last longer. i did it on my previous car when i had issues and it solved them

Drl's use your high beams at a lower voltage so would have no effect on low beams, and factory installed projectors use the led turn signals as drls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiabeticKripple

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Drl's use your high beams at a lower voltage so would have no effect on low beams, and factory installed projectors use the led turn signals as drls

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my old car (cobalt) ran the drl's off the low beam. i had 2 separate housings and my HID's in my low beams were on during the day.

but yes on the sports the led's are the drl's

bobosky520

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I bought a canbus kit from eBay, cost me about 120 ship to Canada, Plug and Play, only include two bulbs and two ballaster, no harness, no error, work great

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Alright so i took another shot at these HIDs tonight on my '15. Can-bus HID plug and play didn't work as stated before. Can-bus with capacitors and load resistors shut off the lights within seconds and they wouldn't come back on. But can-bus with only the capacitors seems to almost work. I am using 4700 micro farad 50v capacitors.. My lights will now occasionally go off, but shutting off the truck i can at least get them to come back on.

Somewhat related....I also changed my fogs to some Cree LEDs w/ballast. While driving and turning the fogs on and off my low beam seemed to respond by also turning off after a few cycles of the fogs and i had to shut it down to get them back on.

Maybe someone can make some sense of that?

RyanJM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Express RC Black Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Maybe the 15's are more picky. I have canbus Hid kit I got local for $150 and I had it on my 13 and pulled it got new bulbs for the projectors and put it in my 14 over 2 years and no issue. My hid fogs died after about 2 years but I had some DDM error boxes with some used cheap ballasts I pulled off a car at work and some bulbs I had laying around. I now have LED's in my fogs the ones without a ballast and they turn of faster thn my hid's and never have any issue didn't even need the error box.

ecosport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Maybe the 15's are more picky. I have canbus Hid kit I got local for $150 and I had it on my 13 and pulled it got new bulbs for the projectors and put it in my 14 over 2 years and no issue. My hid fogs died after about 2 years but I had some DDM error boxes with some used cheap ballasts I pulled off a car at work and some bulbs I had laying around. I now have LED's in my fogs the ones without a ballast and they turn of faster thn my hid's and never have any issue didn't even need the error box.

Yeah im thinking something is slightly different in the 15s because my 2011 i had no issues at all with this set up, and my buddies 2013 w/projectors had no issues with this set up (just tested a couple days ago after pulling them out of my 15)....but i cant for the life of me get these to work in my 15. They worked great last night, idled in the drive way for an hour with no issues. Then took it for a drive and they did turn off after probably 15 mins but it almost seemed related to me messing with the fog lights... Then this morning after driving 10 mins with DRLs (high beam) i decided to try my lows and fogs again and as soon as i turned the switch on...nothing. shut the truck off and fired it back up and they came on but the lows went out and my left fog light thought it was a turn signal and started blinking. So i shut it off again and turned the fogs off and fired just my lows and they seemed to work fine for 10 mins before i had to run in to work. So thats where i am at now. Going to quickly throw halogens back in the fogs late tonight and see if my HIDs in my low beam decide to cooperate and work properly with can-Bus and capacitors.