HID or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JA Ramy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi guys
I have 2017 with the projectors, I'd like to upgrade to HID's. Is this a yay or nay with you?,

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What's the purpose of upgrading?

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the stock projector lights in my Sport, and was not impressed with the lighting they provided. I upgraded to HID after reading numerous post about HID vs LED in the projector headlights. I have no complaints and can see much better with the HID. They are properly aimed, and I have never been "flashed" by on coming traffic. If you do a search you will find plenty of reading to do on headlights. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I like HID's. My Challenger has them and I really like em.
Was thinking of doing it in my Ram as I got new headlights but you have to buy a conversion kit and at the time I didn't want the extra expense.

Some day I may do it but I can still buy upgraded Sylvania lamps for the projectors for more brightness.
LEDs I'm not so sure about those for headlamps. I did put LEDS for my backup lights and they work good though

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The oem projectors work very well with hids in the projector and an LED in the high beam. LED bulbs still don't have the output of an hid system, and due to their nature, will lose some brightness (up to 30%) after 10-20 minutes.

OP
OP
JA Ramy

JA Ramy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the great input boys, I think I will be ordering some HID's for Rammy this week.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
I have a 2020 Bighorn with the standard halogens. I find them too dim for
my liking. Will the HID's fit in this model ? I am ready to trade and get the
optional LED package.
For those with LED's tell me they are better than stock. I assume so, I have
LED's and HID's in other vehicles.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
optional LED package.
I have LED in my 22, IMHO they are many times better then standard halogens...

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Are you leaning toward an OEM conversion, or aftermarket units? OP, what seems to be the best conversion process for you?

Underground Lighting

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
optional LED package.
Yes they will, If you have the reflector housing i recommend our Led kit for that headlight. Pm Us we are here to help.

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Better light, greater visibility at night, crash avoidance, other people can see you better. You get to flash your headlights more as people think you have high beams on. Lots of reasons, primarily you can see.
HIDs are great if doing a full retrofit or adding to a proper headlight. Having done a few of these on past trucks, including one where I just slapped them into an existing housing and created a fireball of glare, I know that if/when people flash their lights at you a lot it's because it wasn't done right. That's not really creating great light for you either (try driving in snow) since it's throwing it everywhere vs focussed in the right direction/plane.

I love HIDs, when done right. I hate HIDs or even LEDs when thrown in housings they're not made for.

YMMV

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Here's a picture of my Ram quad headlights converted to HID Bi-Xenon 55w projectors, both low and high beams. When on low beams, all four projectors lite up, same on high beams. Low beams are set to shine at top of a Camry trunk and have never been flashed.
My only complaint is the low beam cutoff. When set properly the cutoff is too low for rural road driving, Above that cutoff is black night. It's a nuisance shifting between high and low if a lot of oncoming traffic.
HID Projectors-1.jpg

gfh77665

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Better light, greater visibility at night, crash avoidance, other people can see you better. You get to flash your headlights more as people think you have high beams on. Lots of reasons, primarily you can see.
The point of HID and reflectors is to BLIND ONCOMING MOTORISTS. Period. Spare all the fake "safety" reasoning.

You just fessed up on yourself. You just admitted "You get to flash people" like that's some kind of happy reward. Think about it, why would people think you have high beams on? Because your truck is blinding oncoming traffic. Beware of road rage. People are getting increasingly PO'ed when they are blinded. Their flashing lights are your warning. And lots of people carry now too. Just saying.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have refractor housing in mine, so I never changed the lighting. I did go HID on my Charger and I went through a lot of kits. The canbus ballast seem to work the best and didn't flicker when turning them on. They seemed somewhat susceptible to water, so I mounted them higher in the engine bay. Some of those kits just are not built to last. They rust out quickly. The bulbs burn out or the ballast stop working. It was a pain, so I went to LED. The LEDs always work with absolutely no flicker. If you're using projector housing you might find the cutouts might make it harder to see side-to-side. Important for looking for deer! They make LEDs replacement bulbs for fog lights that can be color matched. I just leave the fogs on all the time in the Charger. That allows me to see sides well enough without blinding anyone.

dby_limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it's not too late. Scrap the HID's. I've been 2am off roading for decades. Spotlight LED's blow HID's away like the moon vs the Sun. Blow them away. I have 12 HID's laying around that we just use for target practice now. LED's are instant on. HID's take 15 to 20 seconds to reach high bright, and the fail at a much higher frequency than the LED projectors. Even the LED stuff at Harbor Freight will blow away ANY and ALL HID's. PERIOD! No one in our offroad crews run HID's anymore. That was 10 to 15 years ago.

Robert J

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2103 Sport and my son has a 2015 Sport and we both upgraded to HID's and are happy with them. I like them better than LED's I tried. I have the 5000K in mine and my son has 6000K bulbs in his. I like the 6000K better and will be changing to those soon. Make sure you order kits that come with the canbus cancellors. Also get the extended dust covers for the headlight assemblies which will provide more room for the bulbs. You can get them here: https://www.headlightrevolution.com...ojector-style-dust-covers-33402c_4?quantity=1

TNram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had LEDs in my projectors for a few months and changed to 35w HIDs and never went back. Upgraded my truck a few years back to a 2017 and first upgrade was HIDs