HID vs LED Lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
So, about 6 months or so ago, when I still worked for the Dodge dealership, i had a customer of mine come in with his work truck, and he had installed LED headlight bulbs.

I did my research, and not knowing much about them, I decided to give them a shot. Ordered the New Brights LED bulbs off of amazon, and installed them. One of the MAJOR drawbacks to the New Brights bulbs were the depth. Once installed, the caps for the back of the headlights BARELY fit back on.

This was the comparison between the halogen(left) and LED (right). HUGE difference in brightness, however, there was a significant amount of scatter present.

12483636_10205634142909607_125874858_n_zpsv4p7mzb0.jpg

Naturally, I had to re-aim the lights downward to stop being flashed. A SIGNIFICANT amount lower. I also had installed the LED lights into the fog lights as well.

I drove with the led lights for about two months, zero issues whatsoever, and then, all of a sudden, the passenger side bulb started making an awful amount of noise. I ordered a replacement set, and replaced the passenger side, and all was well. Turns out the fan was just about dead.

Another two months went by, no issues, and then again, wham, fan started going out in the passenger side bulb again. At this point, I decided I was going to completely get rid of the LED lights, and go for DDM's kit.

I don't have any install or product pics due to the amount of time I had to install them this evening, but the DDM kit is literally plug and play(minus having to attach a ground strap for each ballast.) I went with the 4500k temperature, as that provides the most amount of lumen output compared to the higher kelvin, bluer bulbs.

MAJOR difference between the HID and LED kits. The first thing that i noticed, right off the bat, was that I had to re-aim the headlights back up, they were nearly pointing to the ground from having the LED bulbs in. Also, the color temperature, at least for me, was a HUGE improvement as well, as the LED bulbs had a VERY blueish tinting to them, and seemed to get bluer as time went on.

Here is the comparison, top is the DDM 4500K Ultra Kit, bottom is the New Brights LED bulbs. I do realize that comparing headlights to fog lights is difficult, because the light beams between the two are designed to do different things, but if you compare from the first picture i posted(amount of scatter) and this pic, you can tell the difference.

12443244_10205634143069611_846583405_n_zps2bqzuq58.jpg

I will get some comparison of light output later, as I came home from work, installed them, took a quick drive, and parked the truck.

My initial thoughts are this though; I wont have to deal with a fan making noise and going out, the bulbs fit in there properly, and the caps fit without having to force them back on(not sure if other brand led lights are the same way), and the color temperature suits my liking much better than the led lights. The blue tinted led lights actually hurt my eyes driving longer distances at night. The light beam itself between the LED and HID seems significantly different. I had to aim the headlights way down when i put the led lights in, and when i put the hid kit in, i had to re-aim back up. That tells me that HID lights dont scatter nearly as bad as HID lighting.

More pics to come, just wanted to share my thoughts and opinions.

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
More comparison pics:

Hid(no fogs)

12498622_10205634506158688_114459070_n_zpsevkwkfgw.jpg

Hid(with halogen fog lights)

2507007_10205634505678676_1238045965_n_zpse8rchqnq.jpg

LED(with halogen fog lights)

0204841439172509_2930405600962611191_n_zpsnfwi1ihp.jpg

Driving comparison Led headlights with halogen factory fogs on top, HID with factory halogen fogs on the bottom

1931944_10205634837326967_509231792_n_zps0eh0vx8k.jpg

Also, just to add, there were no relays, capasitors, harnesses, etc to install. Plug the kit in and it works, no issues

carl0

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
LEDs are good due to their long life but HIDs offer better output.

sirsleeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I put hid's in my low beams and fogs, there's no comparison!!

If I were to do it again it'd be led in fogs with hid lowbeam... Simply because when you switch the highbeams off it does take a bit to warm up hid's again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
This was sorta the comparison I've been looking for for a long time.
I'm happy with my HIDs, but I love LEDS and been wanting to try them but hardly anybody has had HIDs and then gone to LEDs to compare. Until now. Good job.

The LED have gotten better but I guess until they work like the OEM LEDS then it might not be worth it.

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
why is that? weren't you running the OPT7 leds?
I still am, while they are bright as heck they dont light at a distance, in order to not get flashed i have to turn them so far down that i could put my high beams and not get flashed, also my stock halogen highs completely over power the led lows, after tax season ill be getting everything i need for a retrofit

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
It takes like 10 seconds for the HID's to warm up...if that.

I'll gladly deal with the wait for the light output gain over leds.

I 100% agree, the warmup time is the same amount of time it takes me to put my seatbelt on, and find a radio station. I'm ok with a few seconds to reach full operating temp.

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I still am, while they are bright as heck they dont light at a distance, in order to not get flashed i have to turn them so far down that i could put my high beams and not get flashed, also my stock halogen highs completely over power the led lows, after tax season ill be getting everything i need for a retrofit

This was the biggest setback for me, the amount of light scatter was horrendous. I had mine aimed down so low, it was hard to see distances. I think the hid setup provides a more even, and direct beam of light.

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
I put hid's in my low beams and fogs, there's no comparison!!

If I were to do it again it'd be led in fogs with hid lowbeam... Simply because when you switch the highbeams off it does take a bit to warm up hid's again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly think led in the fogs was a waste. The color temp difference was too much for me, which is why I put the halogen lights back in the fogs. That, plus the light scatter, I'd rather have HID's in the fog lights and call it a day.

I'm not going to splurge on the hid for the fogs yet, my wife will kill me... But I did buy a set of Phillips crystal vision to put in tonight after work.

Gotta love managing an auto parts store lol

OP
OP
2014moparam

2014moparam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
This was sorta the comparison I've been looking for for a long time.
I'm happy with my HIDs, but I love LEDS and been wanting to try them but hardly anybody has had HIDs and then gone to LEDs to compare. Until now. Good job.

The LED have gotten better but I guess until they work like the OEM LEDS then it might not be worth it.

Yea, I was happy with the led's for a while, but then I started having problems with cooling fans going out, and light output just wasn't there.