High performance lubricants

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ive put almost 2000 miles on this oil so far so I feel I have a good idea of its performance to make a seperate thread about it.

First things first a little info about high performance lubricants included right here as there are questions about them in the syn thread. High Performance Lubricants is owned and operaded by David Ward in manteno illinois and they are primarily an industrial lubricant blender with a background in racing. They have a full list of race teams that use their lubes on their website, hplubricants.com but the list includes the street outlaws as well as pettygms nascar team. The extend of their sponsorship is lubricants provided only, no money is paid for a logo on the car. Their products are formulated with the absolute best materials available and without any compromise. They are formulated by one of the best minds in the industustry, Dr. Leslie R Rudnick. He was a molecule builder for mobil oil and also worked for the department of energy, shell, and infinium. He has many patents on synthetic lubricants and was the man behind the development of star polymer VII and was also behind the blending of PAO with POE and AN's which is what mobil 1 tri synthetic formula was from around 99-02.

They have quite a few different product lines available in the PCMO and HDEO market. These products are the result of over a billion test miles in fleets that they provide lubricants to such as the border patrol. The standard PCMO line uses group III, ester, AN's and for a VII it uses a shear stable OCP (olefin co polymer). Then they have their premium PCMO which takes advantage of the star polymer VII for improved shear stability and then the premium plus PCMO uses PAO base oils with ester and AN's and the shear stable star polymer VII. These oils contain high magnesium and moderate calcium and high moly. Their euro oils are mid saps formulas like mobil 1 ESP and the supercar oils PAO, ester, and AN's but contain a full saps vw502/porsche a40 add pack. It uses high calcium and moderate magnesium and a full load of zddp and tons of moly. Its the oil I chose at the recomendation of David Ward and I picked the 0w30 version. So far I am impressed with these oil, i chose it as the viscosity is similar to mobil 1 FS 0w40 which I have used for about 45k miles and its cold flow properties are similar on paper. So far I am very happy with this oil, it is much better than mobil 1 FS 0w40 on cold starts and cold accelleration. Its noticable even at 15-25 degrees and it has me wishing for -15 degrees lol. My only regret is not trying redline 0w30 so I could compare those two. Perhaps @HEMIMANN will be able to give a comparasin when his redline stash runs out. I have no doubt that this oil is among the top for hemi oil choices. Cold start idle PSI has been 55 psi and with mobil 1 FS I was at 59 psi. Acceleration I would be at 63-64 psi with mobil 1 FS and this oil I am at 60-61 psi. My hot idle oil pressure is 38 psi at 212 degrees and with mobil 1 FS I was at 40 psi at 212 degrees.

Now to clarify some confusion with high performance lubricants. Many times I refer to them as HPL and there are many questions in the syn thread about another oil of the same name in a silver bottle with HPL in red. Those oils are formulated by High Performance Lubricants. The HPL name and logo is owned by precision turbo and those lubricants are marketed by them as well. They are not the same as what is sold with the High Performance Lubricants labels but they are formulated by the same company. I dont know much about the precision turbo HPL formulations, I do know they have some street oils which can be used in daily drivers but most of their products are racing oils developed for the power adder market

High Performance Lubricants products can be purchased thru advlubrication.com and our very own ram forum discount code can be used for 15% off. The code is RAMFORUM15

HPL products from precision turbo can be purchased from hploil.com if you are interested in any of those products but in that case I dont really know anything about these formulations.

I hope this helps people understand the company and its products and clears up any confusion

OP
OP
Travis8352

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
@Travis8352

Geez, thanks for the treatise. How you know this much detail? Curious, is all.

Do you know why Mobil quit TriSyn Mobil 1? Sure smells like Exxon takeover. Same timeframe.
Ive spoken with david numerous times and read many posts on BITOG. Researched les quite a bit to.

That was my theory to i think tri syn came out right before exxon came in and then after api sj it became supersyn for api sl

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ive spoken with david numerous times and read many posts on BITOG. Researched les quite a bit to.

That was my theory to i think tri syn came out right before exxon came in and then after api sj it became supersyn for api sl

Thanks.

I see High Performance Lubricants chooses to abbreviate to "HP" as a slight differentiator from the other company's "HPL". I will try to remember to use the proper abbreviation from here out, "HP".

OP
OP
Travis8352

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks.

I see High Performance Lubricants chooses to abbreviate to "HP" as a slight differentiator from the other company's "HPL". I will try to remember to use the proper abbreviation from here out, "HP".
I need to do that to because if you look up hpl you get the precision turbo hpl. I think thats where the confusion comes from

ramsare4real

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
oh yeah i tore the engine down and measured wear before and now at 2k miles so i get a good idea of this oils performance lol just move on
That would have been a good test, but you didn't.

The info provided by David Ward, along with the credentials of the formulator (not the ton of Moly!), is what makes you, and me, know this is a good oil. Not the 2000 miles you ran, nor the engine teardown you didn't perform.

OP
OP
Travis8352

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

The info provided by David Ward, along with the credentials of the formulator (not the ton of Moly!), is what makes you, and me, know this is a good oil. Not the 2000 miles you ran, nor the engine teardown you didn't perform.
Ill be sure to okay my posts with you from now on mr forum expert

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

While you're technically correct, Travis has been nothing but honest about HP oil, the credentials of the formulator, here and in the synth thread etc. That dog won't hunt.

I'm also running HP oil and love it, I'm using the premium plus since September and though I don't even have a UOA report yet, I'm confident in this oil based on the specs, the reputation of Dr. Les Rudnick and David Ward, and equally important to me, how quiet it runs in my engine. MDS has improved immensely as well though I don't use it beyond a 4 week test I was doing and I'm not sure if that is oil related or not, it would require swapping back to an inferior oil to see whether the jerkyness comes back and I couldn't care enough about MDS to run that test.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Maybe it's snowed too much for @Travis8352 to get out?

"The average snowfall in Michigan’s Keweenaw Peninsula is 273 inches."