High speed vibration even after new tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
It seems like when they balance them they are better but within a day or two they get worse again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

This I do not understand. When they are rebalanced, the vibration is better but then returns?

What changes?

Narrow that down and you may find, at least, part of the culprit.

Have your driveshaft checked. FCA added micro weights to mine and it did reduce my vibrations considerably. When I got my Defenders, pretty much gone.
just a bare hint of what it once was and I chalk that up to hemi shake and frame harmonics.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
This I do not understand. When they are rebalanced, the vibration is better but then returns?

What changes?

Narrow that down and you may find, at least, part of the culprit.

Have your driveshaft checked. FCA added micro weights to mine and it did reduce my vibrations considerably. When I got my Defenders, pretty much gone.
just a bare hint of what it once was and I chalk that up to hemi shake and frame harmonics.
How did you have your driveshaft balanced? Was it covered under warranty? I though about the driveshaft but didn't want to just pull it out and then have to deal with putting the fluid back into the 8 speed

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Make sure the little clips that hold the stock hubs on were removed. If the rims sit flush against the hubs and the clips weren't removed, the rims wont sit flush. Ask me how I know this.....

abouttobeglue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My buddy bought a set of new goodyears on his 2016, had vibrations. Pepboys thought he had a bent rim, took it to a rim repair shop, rims were good. Turned out all 4 tires were a bit out of round. Goodyear replaced free of charge, no more issues.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
How did you have your driveshaft balanced? Was it covered under warranty? I though about the driveshaft but didn't want to just pull it out and then have to deal with putting the fluid back into the 8 speed

I complined about the vibrations,form day one, Local Dealer took to STAR Case and FCA sent their roving Technician , who balanced the driveshaft, under wrranty.

Lunch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bought a 2014 sport 4x4 used and it had a vibration but figured it was just the tires and i wanted to replace them anyways. But after getting new michlin defender tires put on and fight with discount tire they are saying its its something with the suspension and i think i agree with them but not sure where to start

Cooper at3 tires are on my truck 285/70/20 . I had problems being out of round cooper gave me 2 new tires without a problem. 2016 CC 2500 Laramie 6.4

WFSTARKIV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar problem with my 2013 ram. Put new tires on and did alignment. Still had a vibration. Dealer kept going through everything. Put a new tire on, changed both drive shafts, one wheel bearing, a brake caliper, no change. They finally figured out that the front differential was bad. They rebuilt that and everything was fine. Since mine, the service manager said they've had at least three more with the same issue.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar problem with my 2013 ram. Put new tires on and did alignment. Still had a vibration. Dealer kept going through everything. Put a new tire on, changed both drive shafts, one wheel bearing, a brake caliper, no change. They finally figured out that the front differential was bad. They rebuilt that and everything was fine. Since mine, the service manager said they've had at least three more with the same issue.
Was your steering wheel shaking? Or was it just more of a vibration through the chassis feeling?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JohnKoegel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

This sounds like my truck.
Bad wheel bearings already replaced by me, mysterious vibrations in the front end. Feels like out of round tires.
The bearing noise is very faint and difficult to separate from the tire noise when driving at speed.
It also seems to come and go from time to time.
Sometimes it feels like my cv shafts are flopping around under the truck causing a shake that rotates with the wheel speed.
But of course it eases up every time I have the dealer drive it and it goes back to feeling just like out of balance tires with flat spots.

Did it feel like it was in the steering wheel no matter how good the tires were?

WFSTARKIV

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had slight vibration in the steering wheel, mostly vibration in the chassis. Dealership finally put it on the hoist and ran it. Cv shafts flopped all over. Only took about a month for them to figure it out. They hadn't seen this before.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you feel the vibration more in the steering wheel? My vibration seems to come more from the back

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Also ive noticed the vibration is worse from 70 - 85 but over 90 it kinda goes away

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So i got 4 bew tires of a different brand put on and no change. Also took the wheels off a friends truck and put on my truck and the vibration is still there. The only thing that doesn't pass visual inspection under the truck is one of the rear shocks. Could a bad shock cause a vibration?

Sled Freak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Subscribed.

I recently have felt a vibration on my 16. Certian speeds 70km then in the 95-100km range. I'd say its coming from the rear of the truck. 1 month/2000k out of warranty of course. Not sure to book it in to stealership or find an independent gargage.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So i got 4 bew tires of a different brand put on and no change. Also took the wheels off a friends truck and put on my truck and the vibration is still there. The only thing that doesn't pass visual inspection under the truck is one of the rear shocks. Could a bad shock cause a vibration?

Yes. With a bad shock the tire can hop down the road instead of rolling smoothly.

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
How much play should there be in the CV Shafts?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ended up being the cv shaft. The passenger side was so bad it was wearing on the axle and they had to replace the whole front differential and both shafts. The truck only has 54,000 miles on it sk it was covered under warranty

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ended up being the cv shaft. The passenger side was so bad it was wearing on the axle and they had to replace the whole front differential and both shafts. The truck only has 54,000 miles on it sk it was covered under warranty

What were your symptoms? Did they start early on and get worse?

OP
OP
T

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What were your symptoms? Did they start early on and get worse?
A vibration that felt like it was coming from the rear but the tech said it was just vibrating the whole truck from the drivetrain. I noticed a small vibration a few times but really noticed it after putting tires on. Not sure why