High stall torque converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dbc105

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have 95 model 46RH I am rebuilding and I want to put in a stock high stall torque converter. I see that the factor had 3 ratings, low, medium and high and one of the codes for a high stall is 642. What I am trying to find out is what trucks these convertrers cam in? Are they HP or heavy duty, V6, 318, 360, etc.. If I can find that out I can find out how these coverters act in general use. I've bought high stall converters before but even with a 2350 stall they were still very loose to that point and generally stock high stall converters arte not that way. Thanks, DC

svdsinner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
High-stall converters are for gas engines that are often used for hot rodding. They allow your gas engine to get up to near its peak torque when launching hard. However, 2350 isn't a high-stall converter, it is just normal for gas engines. High-stall converters IMHO are well over 3000. They work great for hard launches but tend to feel loose on heavy vehicles.
For towing or heavy duty, a lower stall is usually better. For diesel engines, a lower stall is necessary because of the different torque curves. (A Cummins used primarily for towing works great with an 1800 stall speed or even a 1500 stall speed.)

OP
OP
D

dbc105

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
LOL, thanks but it's not for a truck, it's for the A518 I'm putting in my '68 RoadRunner. I don't want 3000 stall that too high. A stock '68 RR was 2200-2400 Hemi converter and it worked well with the RR 383. I like the way stock converters act on the street, call it comfortable. I'm not building a race car. I have looked at the converter catalogs and I see the 642 for a 518 is around 2400. this puts it at about what the old RR did and this gives me lockup with the overdrive. Problen is finding a core. I need to know what trucks they came in so I can narrow down my search. Clear as mud?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio