High Torque Rate Axle Nut

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I just replaced an axle u-joint on my 2014 2500.
Torque King website says that on the 2013 and up front end you have to put a new axle nut on every time you take it off because it gets stretched when it’s torqued and that’s what locks it on. It is true that these front end axle nuts no longer use a cotter pin so maybe there is something to it?
I had the guy that did mine reuse the original. Is that what everyone else is doing? Should I get a new one?
Also, what’s up with 263 ft/lbs of torque? All this nut does is keep the stub shaft in the hub splines. There is no weight on it nor twisting torque on the nut treads.
I’m asking because the new style nut is not nearly as beefy as the previous one that had a cotter pin so wonder about that much torque on it.?
Also, what’s up with the progressive torque process that is called for? This is a sealed unit bearing that is pre-seated during manufacturing. I don’t understand the two step torque process that reminds me of an old school bearing seating process. Are these torque numbers and process just an un updated process from older spindle nut installation process?
Sorry for the long post but I would like to understand all this a little better.
Thanks!

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
the mechanic probly didnt change the nut because he didnt have a new one on hand im guessing. ive always used a new nut but you might be able to reuse the old one. pinion nuts are commonly reused with a fresh squirt of loctite

263ftlb sounds about right. a corolla axle nut is 160ftlb. typically theres a flange on the axle thats behind the bearing assembly. the nut is on the front side. what your doing is sandwiching the bearing assembly between the flange on back side and nut on front side

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
This isn’t a pinion nut, and unless the nut is messed up, I see no not to reuse it.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
jesus christ i hate to tell you but when pinion seals are replaced, its common to reuse the nut. whether you think its right or wrong is a topic for a different day

pinion and axle nuts are very much the same. they hold load onto a bearing of a shaft and usually have some type of crimp at the end ,to serve as a locking feature. when the nut is removed, some but not all of the locking ability is lost. thats why many mechanics will reuse the nut with a squirt of loctite. ive seen good results using new one and reusing old ones

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
jesus christ i hate to tell you but when pinion seals are replaced, its common to reuse the nut. whether you think its right or wrong is a topic for a different day

pinion and axle nuts are very much the same. they hold load onto a bearing of a shaft and usually have some type of crimp at the end ,to serve as a locking feature. when the nut is removed, some but not all of the locking ability is lost. thats why many mechanics will reuse the nut with a squirt of loctite. ive seen good results using new one and reusing old ones

Jesus Christ I’m telling you the pinion not shouldn’t be reused. It’s a self locking collapsing thread designed for 1 & done like TTY bolts. If someone is reusing a pinion nut they’re a hack, spend the $2 & get a new one. go ask someone who actually rebuilds rear ends and they will tell you it’s a no no. The only time you are reusing a pinion nut is during setup (unless it’s a crush sleeve).

out of the 2 dozen differentials I’ve rebuilt, know how many times I’ve reused a pinion nut?

OP
OP
Erikk

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Jesus Christ I’m telling you the pinion not shouldn’t be reused. It’s a self locking collapsing thread designed for 1 & done like TTY bolts. If someone is reusing a pinion nut they’re a hack, spend the $2 & get a new one. go ask someone who actually rebuilds rear ends and they will tell you it’s a no no. The only time you are reusing a pinion nut is during setup (unless it’s a crush sleeve).

out of the 2 dozen differentials I’ve rebuilt, know how many times I’ve reused a pinion nut?

So I should replace the axle nut? What’s your thinking on a two stage torque process for it (135ft/lbs, spin bearing 10 times then torque to 263ft/lbs) and the reason for the 263? ...that’s freaking high for a non load/force bearing nut isn’t it? Not even sure I can find anyone with a torque wrench that goes up to 263. Guy who did it has a digital that goes up to 250.
Thanks

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
whether its a axle nut or pinion nut, its one and only job is to maintain load on the bearing. it could be reused 100 times if it can continue to maintain that load. in dumbed down lamen terms, if it still has sufficient locking ability then theres no reason it couldnt be reused, and again, pinion nuts are reused all the time ( whether you want to believe it or not) and i wouldnt be a single bit suprised if axles nuts are reused as well. alot of people try to over complicate this ****. use a new nut if you want, makes no difference to me

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD

So mister know-it-all MJiMVPam.png

tell me why the pinion nut I re-used when I had to replace the pinion seal in my '97 Dodge 4x4 is still holding after more than 10 years and 100,000 miles. I just cleaned the threads and used a couple of drops of Loc-tite and it has never come loose and I do A LOT of off-roading.

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
According to the factory service manual the axle nut is not a one time use, it is re-useable. Some vehicles they’re reusable, others the manufacture wants you to replace them. Kind of a crap shoot.

FSM also specifies the 2 step torque procedure 132ftlbs, rotate 5-10 times then 263ftlbs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erikk

Erikk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
According to the factory service manual the axle nut is not a one time use, it is re-useable. Some vehicles they’re reusable, others the manufacture wants you to replace them. Kind of a crap shoot.

FSM also specifies the 2 step torque procedure 132ftlbs, rotate 5-10 times then 263ftlbs.

Does the factory FSM call for a new axle nut on the 2014 2500? I think the nut that they changed to in the 2014-current is the one in question. The ones before that with the cotter pin were regularly re-used.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
What crazy jerry said. I checked up to 2017, and no mention of a new nut. It could be wrong in the manual, wouldn’t he the first time.

That being said I would follow what it says and just reuse it, you’re not gonna have any issues. We almost always reuse the axle nuts on the 2500/3500 trucks at the shop.

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I just replaced an axle u-joint on my 2014 2500.
Torque King website says that on the 2013 and up front end you have to put a new axle nut on every time you take it off because it gets stretched when it’s torqued and that’s what locks it on. It is true that these front end axle nuts no longer use a cotter pin so maybe there is something to it?
I had the guy that did mine reuse the original. Is that what everyone else is doing? Should I get a new one?
Also, what’s up with 263 ft/lbs of torque? All this nut does is keep the stub shaft in the hub splines. There is no weight on it nor twisting torque on the nut treads.
I’m asking because the new style nut is not nearly as beefy as the previous one that had a cotter pin so wonder about that much torque on it.?
Also, what’s up with the progressive torque process that is called for? This is a sealed unit bearing that is pre-seated during manufacturing. I don’t understand the two step torque process that reminds me of an old school bearing seating process. Are these torque numbers and process just an un updated process from older spindle nut installation process?
Sorry for the long post but I would like to understand all this a little better.
Thanks!
well mine dodge did test at dodge recall I already had new ring and pinion done at a axle shope I ve used 40 years no problem they said failed test really and ya no fix so this morning checking engine out put in gear clunk wtf so being towed in now ! yes get a naon think nut 8.00 biger has a flang on it dodge nuts r junk I feel ! dont let them touch ur s ok bet guy broke the nut ya toooo lb on it I feel ! thought 85 lb ?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
well mine dodge did test at dodge recall I already had new ring and pinion done at a axle shope I ve used 40 years no problem they said failed test really and ya no fix so this morning checking engine out put in gear clunk wtf so being towed in now ! yes get a naon think nut 8.00 biger has a flang on it dodge nuts r junk I feel ! dont let them touch ur s ok bet guy broke the nut ya toooo lb on it I feel ! thought 85 lb ?

I tried Google Translate on this quoted post but it did not work. I still don't know what this post says. ;-)

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
:anitoof::crazy:

scott lass 18

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 ram 1500
Engine
I tried Google Translate on this quoted post but it did not work. I still don't know what this post says. ;-)
amazon dorman nut ok ! axle place say they use chevy nuts for the best ok mine next week going in to check repkace 330 was told not bad