High volume oil pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So im trying to expand my knowledge on these engines. Who has installed a high volume oil pump and what were your results? Is it known whether a high volume pump would help prevent hemi tick?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So im trying to expand my knowledge on these engines. Who has installed a high volume oil pump and what were your results? Is it known whether a high volume pump would help prevent hemi tick?

Unless you've opened up the bearing clearances you probably want a higher pressure pump instead of a high volumne pump.Google Melling's video's on oil pumps to learn more about the differances between high volumne and high pressure pumps

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Avoid high volume pumps. High pressure is the way to go. I used to build my own race engines back in the early 90's and only used HV on the first couple until I was educated on it. You will only be able to pass as much oil as the clearances will allow (like was already mentioned). Think of putting your thumb over the end of your garden hose. It increases the pressure due to the restriction but all the rest spills over. Aside from robbing horsepower and hurting fuel economy (very minimal but still some loss) extended high RPM's can risk sucking the oil pan dry and cavitating the pump pickup, starving your engine of oil.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Avoid high volume pumps. High pressure is the way to go. I used to build my own race engines back in the early 90's and only used HV on the first couple until I was educated on it. You will only be able to pass as much oil as the clearances will allow (like was already mentioned). Think of putting your thumb over the end of your garden hose. It increases the pressure due to the restriction but all the rest spills over. Aside from robbing horsepower and hurting fuel economy (very minimal but still some loss) extended high RPM's can risk sucking the oil pan dry and cavitating the pump pickup, starving your engine of oil.

Been there / done that ,lol. Pumped the pan dry on a 12.5:1 high rpm 433 big block at 7500,still owed $10,000 on the motor when it happened,and that was way back in 84.Engine builder told me i needed 9 quarts in the pan,and i didn't really listen. i had a 7 quart Vette pan and dual filters on it and figured it'd be good,learned the hard way that wasn't enough.Being a kid who knew everything (typical kid at the time,lol),i figured i knew as much as the engine builder,lol.The rods closest to the oil pump were the ones that vacated the block,as they got air first when the oil pump started sucking air

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been there / done that ,lol. Pumped the pan dry on a 12.5:1 high rpm 433 big block at 7500,still owed $10,000 on the motor when it happened,and that was way back in 84.Engine builder told me i needed 9 quarts in the pan,and i didn't really listen. i had a 7 quart Vette pan and dual filters on it and figured it'd be good,learned the hard way that wasn't enough.Being a kid who knew everything (typical kid at the time,lol),i figured i knew as much as the engine builder,lol.The rods closest to the oil pump were the ones that vacated the block,as they got air first when the oil pump started sucking air
Yep. I never emptied a pan but I always ran larger pans but then again I only ever ran HV pumps in the first couple of mostly stock 350's I built that were in my daily driver trucks. By the time I started building the 600+ HP 8000 RPM motors I thankfully had been educated about the HV pumps so never had that issue.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I'm running a ported and polished Melling 10452 with the 75# spring. The results? Uhhh, higher oil pressure...because it's a standard volume high pressure pump...Not quite sure what you're looking for.

Last edited:

Victor Brill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Stronger spring 75psi with additional 65psi provided
Not sure what the Mopar is.....wouldn't know how to find spring pressure

Screenshot_2Chrysler 5 7L 6 4L Engines - Melling.png

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Way back Bill Elliot was sponsored by Melling. His engine blew and they said it was oil pump failure...lol. Kinda funny.

StateOfMind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Reignited on youtube has an extremely informative set of videos explaining the difference between pressure and volume. He even went so far as to test a stock pump, then a melling, then a hellcat pump in the same vehicle, testing cold numbers at idle and 3500 rpm, then warming it up and testing again. He states he was a dodge service tech for something like 11 years. Really good stuff

Last edited:
OP
OP
Travis8352

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Reignited on youtube has an extremely informative set of videos explaining the difference between pressure and volume. He even went so far as to test a stock pump, then a melling, then a hellcat pump in the same vehicle, testing cold numbers at idle and 3500 rpm, then warming it up and testing again. He states he was a dodge service tech for something like 11 years. Really good stuff
Yes i posted this thread years before he made those videos. They are great videos