Highway Hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I have a 2002 1500 4X4 with 275 tires and a new tranny as well as a 360 Cu In with only 290,000 miles. I got broke down and found a great tranny shop, Aspen Transmissions in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma. All that aside I would like to mount a slide-in Over the cab camper. How heavy can I go without hurting the super structure of the truck? Will Air Shocks help and if so how much and if I installed air bags, how helpful would they be?

Thanks

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Does anyone make a Cab Over Camper with an Aluminum Frame ?

That would give you a Light, but Sturdy unit

The weight of a wood frame is heavier than you would think.
I think that i read that the can go as heavy as 1 Ton

I just went to a campers website,
They can't agree between wood & aluminum frames

They all seem to agree on a good camper builder called Lance

Last edited:

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Your payload is probably in the 1300lb range? Should be a yellow sticker inside your drivers door jamb that gives your payload. Take that number and subtract passengers and any other aftermarket things that add weight and that will give a rough idea of how heavy of a camper you can go with and stay legal. Realistically a 1500 isn't made for a slide in camper and I think you would have a hard time finding one light enough. If staying legal isn't a concern (and you are comfortable with not overloading your brakes) then be sure you don't go over your rear axle max weight (should be on the other sticker in your door jamb). Probably in the 4000lb range for the rear axle. Overloading that can cause bearings, seals, and axles to fail.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Don't go the air shock route because it will put all the weight on your shock studs. If you want stability with any vehicle and a tall load such as a camper, air bags are the way to go. But you want to heed the advice of the prior posters before you jump into the fire.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Your payload is probably in the 1300lb range? Should be a yellow sticker inside your drivers door jamb that gives your payload. Take that number and subtract passengers and any other aftermarket things that add weight and that will give a rough idea of how heavy of a camper you can go with and stay legal. Realistically a 1500 isn't made for a slide in camper and I think you would have a hard time finding one light enough. If staying legal isn't a concern (and you are comfortable with not overloading your brakes) then be sure you don't go over your rear axle max weight (should be on the other sticker in your door jamb). Probably in the 4000lb range for the rear axle. Overloading that can cause bearings, seals, and axles to fail.
Just for awareness, your payload capacity includes all fluids and one person at 150 pounds, so these don't need to be subtracted. I would look at pop-up camper a as they are lighter. And bags won't do anything but lift rear, however your weight will still be in same place and you will lose steering control and braking if you are over payload capacity especially with a slide in camper with a lot of weight behind wheels.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
Correct. I was saying if he has 2 or 3 other people then their weight will have to be subtracted from that payload sticker number. And yes, air bags area band aid. Might make it feel better but won't change your legal payload or towing capacities

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dyadeta