Highway Vibrations 2023 2500 CTD 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WayneT70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have a 2023 2500 Laramie Midnight Edition 4x4 6.7CTD Crew Cab with the 6 1\2' bed. 20" Wheels and Factory Firestone Tires.

From the day I got it, brand new, it has had a vibration between 60 and 70mph. I feel it everywhere.

Sometimes it's just a little rattle from things in the back seat. Sometimes the passenger seat shakes rattles and rolls. Sometimes I see it in the steering wheel, sometimes I feel it behind me. Sometimes under me. Sometimes in the pedals, sometimes in the steering wheel. Sometimes it rides so smooth I can actually relax a little and enjoy the drive. But mostly it's stupidly annoying.

I have taken it to 2 dealerships.

The first told me, after me waiting for 2 hours and "finding nothing wrong", I should not have brought it in on a weekend because they are not running at full capacity and can't fully diagnose the truck. They 'checked all the tires and alignment and everything was fine'. The kicker, it was dirty and I could look at the lug nuts and see they only took the front tires off.

Second dealer, even after explaining what the last dealer put me through, and it being during the week, I expected better. But nooooo. They again told me nothing was wrong, so I asked someone to ride with me. As we are riding I can SEE the work order folder shaking in their lap. "Don't you see and feel that?" He just kinda mumbled. I asked how the alignment and balance was, and he told me "they couldn't replicate the issue so they didn't check". I asked how he'd like to go for a 2 hour trip in this truck the way it rides... and he said he'd get it all checked. Told him I would pay for balance/rotation if need be.

I left the dealership feeling like I paid $80 to be on square tires after I hit 50mph. Called the service manager and raised hell, not only for that, but the statement on my work order that read, exactly in capital letters: "I CANNOT REPLICATE THE VIBRATION OR CUSTOMER CONCERN. THIS IS A HEAVY DUTY TRUCK AND I FEEL NORMAL INCONSISTENCIES WITH ROAD VARIATIONS. I CANNOT MAKE THIS TRUCK RIDE BETTER THAN IT DOES!!!!"

Ok. In the industry I work in, I have driven "Heavy Duty" trucks for over 30 years. I have driven 26' Box Trucks that ride better than this. AND my 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie Crew 6.7CTD 6 1/2' truck DOES NOT RIDE LIKE THIS.

I ended up taking the truck to Discount Tire, and they removed over 40oz of weight and use around 5oz to balance ALL the tires total. And rotated them.

They also aligned it. The "drive forward" (steering wheel straight) was off a few degrees, and the passenger front tire tow in was off a couple of deg.

It does ride a little better. But damn this vibration. I drive a lot for my business and sometimes I come home so tired and aggravated at just dealing with the vibration it's stupid.

A $85k truck shouldn't do this.

I took it to the first dealership with 600 miles on it. The second with 1500. Discount Tire was a little over 3000. Now it has just over 6000 and I'm wanting to give the thing back.

I absolutely cannot keep driving this truck like this. The first one I got for the business (the 2022) rides smooth like butter. I absolutely love the trucks... except for this.

What do I do next? It's stock, brand new, no mods, factory wheels and tires. Haven't even put a commercial camper top or ladder rack on it yet.

Help?

Last edited:

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
All the dealerships get visited once a month or so (at least they did 3 years ago) by super technicians that troubleshoot hard to diagnose vehicles. You should get on their schedule if you can at the very least.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
did you ever figure what the problem is. since this thread started I have traded in my '19 laramie 1500 for a '22 laramie 2500 6.7 4x4 ccsb. at first it rode like a barge compared to the 1500 but after dropping the tire pressure and putting a few miles on it I have gotten used to the hard ride but not the front end slop I get on bumps and/or rough roads.

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
did you ever figure what the problem is. since this thread started I have traded in my '19 laramie 1500 for a '22 laramie 2500 6.7 4x4 ccsb. at first it rode like a barge compared to the 1500 but after dropping the tire pressure and putting a few miles on it I have gotten used to the hard ride but not the front end slop I get on bumps and/or rough roads.
My $.02.... 65lbs in the front tires, 55lbs in the rear. Get rid of the factory junk shocks and put some Fox 2.0s on there. A smaller sway bar on both ends will also help the ride.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
am running 60# front and back. will keep the Bilstiens but interesting idea about changing out the sway bar. never fooled with a front one before. will study up on that.
thanx

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
am running 60# front and back. will keep the Bilstiens but interesting idea about changing out the sway bar. never fooled with a front one before. will study up on that.
thanx
I run my 2500 gas with 45 front 40 rear on 18" factory size Duratracs. With a diesel I would probably run 50 front and 40 rear. The lower air pressure makes a BIG difference. If that doesn't solve the issue, and your alignment and balance are now good, time to start looking at driveshaft counterweights, u joints, check all motor and transmission mounting bolts are tight, all bushings are in place, etc. Something out of balance or moving when it shouldn't is causing the vibration, the pain in the butt part is tracking down exactly what it is. Best of luck and let us know.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a 1981 3/4 ton with that problem dealer balanced tires rebuilt the balancer
replace tires and said sorry
I found one yoke on rear section off drive shaft welded turned a little
I balanced rotors and rear hubs
I put 400,000 miles trouble free after that

Dave22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I had a similar thing happen to me years ago. I bought a 1995 Ram 2500 CTD w/ manual trans brand new and from the day it was new it had a terrible vibration at 65 mph, it would be ok at 60 mph but at 65 mph it would vibrate really bad then if I would speed up to 70 mph the vibration was pretty much gone.
It turned out to be a bad driveshaft u-joint(main driveshaft)
Once I changed the u-joints the vibration was gone 100%
It was surprising to have a bad u-joint right from the factory but that is what it was. I figured it out myself, didn’t go back to the dealer. Hope it helps.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
first of all you can weight balance tires to zero a million times but that doesnt gaurantee it will drive smooth. road force essentially checks for wheel assembly out of round. do you have any print out of the road force results ? this very well could by your vibration. you need to get the results from the road force. take photos of the machine readout and report beck

Ratman6161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just out of curiosity, does the '22 have the off road package and the 23 not? I ask because I traded a Big horn 2500 and 18 inch wheels without the offroad package for a Laramie with 20 inch wheels and with the off road package. My wife and I both agree the Laramie with off road package rides better. I think the main difference between the two is 18 Vs 20 inch and different shocks?

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
IMO the stock firestone tires are garbage. On both trucks they wore very quickly and balancing was an issue. That being said I like to run centramatic balancers and they work wonders. My Laramie with 315/70R18 Toyo OpenCountry M/Ts rides smoother down the highway than the Lonestar riding on my stock laramie 20s with the firestones (they'll get changed out after a bit). The difference is that my MTs are basic spin balanced with Centramatic balancers on the hub and the 20s with the Firestones are roadforce balanced and no centramatics. Balancemaster also makes a hub balancer so you have options, but Centramatics are cheaper.

I'm running the H1 Centramatics that I got from CJC on my 2500.