Hmmm... should be fun

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
74151723cfb107cd6140203186afbb7f.jpg

ca76e5669cc2c92d8d0925a2f6e312b9.jpg

New lifters on the right... honestly look the same minus the hole in the old lifter. I’m assuming that’s for the mds system

I did notice that one lifter was starting to become hard to roll with like a “gravelly” feel to it. Thinking one might have been on the way out [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfect timing brother! Good luck! Pls keep us posted! I am both excited yet dreading doing mine soon.

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Perfect timing brother! Good luck! Pls keep us posted! I am both excited yet dreading doing mine soon.

Will do! Probably going to let it sit till this weekend but I’ll keep taking pictures and giving updates. I know how you feel... I’m excited for next weekend but it’s a lot of sweat and busted knuckles lol

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well almost done! Still a few things to wrap up.. water pump / belt / coils / radiator and all that front end stuff but so far so good.

I’ll post a picture of the old cam... I believe I dodged a bullet. It looked pretty rough honestly.

967b80270082869483abd0c4d4e83293.jpg

8ab64334f01d0c54062e0ebc48611a79.jpg

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Finished it up today [emoji106]

Good job Sir. Not having any leaks on the first go is always a plus!

Love the sound. Not to choppy, but you can definately tell it has a cam in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good job Sir. Not having any leaks on the first go is always a plus!

Love the sound. Not to choppy, but you can definately tell it has a cam in there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks man! Can't wait to get it datalogged... I think it'll get a little more aggressive once he revises the tune some.

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not sure what the heck happened with the video... using a Nikon D5100 to video so it should have been alot better quality.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
Thanks man! Can't wait to get it datalogged... I think it'll get a little more aggressive once he revises the tune some.

To be fair. unless you ASK for a tune that has a lot of lope. It should actually get smoothed out.

When i put cams in my old Evo, man did that thing idle rough without a tune. Im talking like a 500rpm drop on every stroke lol.

But once the tune was sorted out it was pretty bareable. maybe only like a 100rpm drop

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Where are the photos of the old cam/lifter concerns?

More importantly how does that cam compare to OEM in daily driving? There is a goofy youtuber that didn't gain anything from that HPT, but they have like a 8" lift or something.

If you look on Post # 40 the stock lifters were on the left and the new lifters on the right.. I've only drove it around the block but from what I could tell it felt alot better.. just seems smoother. Should be a pretty good gain I believe.

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To be fair. unless you ASK for a tune that has a lot of lope. It should actually get smoothed out.

When i put cams in my old Evo, man did that thing idle rough without a tune. Im talking like a 500rpm drop on every stroke lol.

But once the tune was sorted out it was pretty bareable. maybe only like a 100rpm drop

Oh okay.. I would like to add a lope tune just to get that sound just driving around town in it. I know mine did the same as far as first start up good lord it was pop and trying rev lol but in about 5 mins it had sorted itself out.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
If you look on Post # 40 the stock lifters were on the left and the new lifters on the right.. I've only drove it around the block but from what I could tell it felt alot better.. just seems smoother. Should be a pretty good gain I believe.

Any pitting or wear on that cam lobe of the rough roller lifter?

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think so.. I'll post pictures of the old cam when I get off. But it never really acted as if anything was wrong and I never heard the lifters tapping so I'm thinking that it wasn't bad enough yet to cause a noticeable problem but if it had went on much longer I think it would have started ticking.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip

That’s because of your cam gears on your OHC motor- you don’t need a lope tune on a hemi since it’s pushrod

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Finished it up today [emoji106]

Sounds awesome man!!!! Also you don’t need a lope tune just tell them that you enjoy the chop and they’ll know what to do

OP
OP
Jtouch81

Jtouch81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh and they are not joking when you put in the cam phaser limiter... DO NOT take out the bolt with the pin [emoji15] my father-in-law thought he would help out and try to put lock tight on it... let’s just say that didn’t work out to well.

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
That’s because of your cam gears on your OHC motor- you don’t need a lope tune on a hemi since it’s pushrod

Hmm. so i get the overall "Jist" of how pushrod motors work. but could you explain to me why thats the case?

I know DOHC engines like the back of my hand, but i have never torn into a big 'Merican V8

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
Hmm. so i get the overall "Jist" of how pushrod motors work. but could you explain to me why thats the case?

I know DOHC engines like the back of my hand, but i have never torn into a big 'Merican V8

with a pushrod motor you don’t have complete control over the valve train (the hemi has a little). On a DOHC motor you have a lot of control over the valve train with the cam gears that’s how they can do a lope tune. Also on a DOHC and a OHC you are limited on how much overlap over lap you can have due the physical room of the head also your cam gears will take a lot of the chop out- you can actually lock the cam gears for chop but will lose a lot of horsepower. example 5.0 mustang with a stage 1 cam set you will loose 100 horsepower by locking the cam gears!